Continuing Education

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have made it this far. Anyone planning on becoming a better and more knowledgeable diver this year? I see alot of questions on the board... Everyone just hands out answers. Maybe we should all push for people who have alot of questions to enroll in a class to further their knowledge of diving. Your thoughts?
I'm one of those people who just likes to keep learning. Classes are great ... I'm heading off to Florida in three weeks to take a side-mount class in the caves of Marianna. Then, after class, the real learning will take place as I adapt my OW diving to that style.

Great points, Jim. I'm currently frustrated and disappointed with the AOW class I've taken. Not to turn this thread into a whine and cheese, but for any diver who has more than 50 dives and is very confident in their abilities, at this point I would recommend skipping the $1,000 (class and diving) AOW and just buy a nice computer and teach yourself how to use it.

OK, education is important, I'll agree. So if y'all want to line me up against the firing squad wall...have at it.

It's always sad to hear people say they took a class and didn't learn anything. I've had folks through my AOW class with far more than 50 dives who were challenged, and came out thinking they got quite a lot out of it. Sometimes it's effort, but a good instructor will evaluate your skills and weaknesses and set the bar accordingly. Maybe you just need to choose an instructor with that mindset.

Well, im sorry for whatever bad experiance you've had, or those you know.. But conitinuing education in some form or another is key to diver safety. Please correct me if im wrong but it seems you dont agree with that, It seems you think that they should be taught everything in their first open water class... Im probably not getting your context right..
I see Jim as saying that a good mentor and time in the water is also an invaluable learning tool. He's correct. I've learned a lot by taking classes ... I've learned a lot more by applying myself in the water ... sometimes under the guidance of a more experienced diver. For those who've been around a while, I was fortunate enough to have a great mentor for a few years ... Uncle Pug. He taught me more about applying my skills and knowledge in the real world than I ever could have learned in a class. A good mentor is worth more than you'll ever pay for a class. But make no mistake ... both are valuable, and usually for different reasons.

Well im sorry you feel that way. No amount of study of i.e Scubaboard, The Deco Stop, The Cyber Diver or any other online forum can substitute for actual guided practice for scuba diving. And yes that does cost money in most cases... If anyone doesnt like that they should have thought about it or been made aware of it by someone before they joined the 3rd most expensive sport...
The problem with classes is that they're an artificial environment. Sure, you can learn a lot, but a good class doesn't really teach you how to dive ... it teaches you how to learn. The actual learning comes from applying what your instructor shows you in a real-world environment ... repeatedly ... until your body understands how to apply it with as little thought as you give to walking when you're doing so while engaged in a conversation with someone.

Your book... I get it now, give you the money for your book not other instructors. Better to buy your book then the long standing tradition of formal training and continuing education.
It's a good book, actually ... I've been reading it lately ...

One of the best diving teachers I have had the good fortune to encounter was Joe Talavera, and Joe's edict was, "Do all the diving you can do with the certification you have, and when you are bored, go get more training." There is a lot of truth to that, once you reach a certain point -- but unfortunately, it may not be valid at the very beginning, simply because some students come out of OW without the skills to do ANY independent diving to speak of. Such folks (and I was one) are better served by continuing education right away, not to increase the scope of what they are certified to do, but simply to keep trying to achieve competence in basic diving.
Joe was the instructor I will always strive to become. Such instructors are an inspiration, and well worth taking classes with.

EVERYTHING in diving can be learned by mentorship and experience, if you are willing to take enough time and take the risks involved in making mistakes. But the educational process can be shortened, made more efficient and less dangerous by seeking formal instruction.
I'm not sure I agree with the EVERYTHING part ... classes and mentorship are two parts of the same structure. A house with a great foundation is worthless if the roof leaks ... you need both to have a solid structure ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No they often don't have any meaning. Many of these courses, as taught, are garbage. Worst part is the number of lousy instructors who perpetuate lousy students.

Port Orchard... Im from Tacoma. Lighthouse Diving (Seattle Store,) UnderwaterSports (Federal Way Store, Walt) Port Orchard call Dave Tagert, Tacoma Scuba Brian. DIT Seattle Mike Hemion. You have access to very knowledgeable instructors in the NW, so I really dont know why your complaining. Maybe you should have done a little research before you picked your instructor... Most importantly if you dont like what is being perpetuated then do something about it. Become a better teacher then the one who taught you. Its easy to sit back and cry about how bad your class was with all the other traumatized students on here.The Higher road would be to do something...

You have made it this far. Anyone planning on becoming a better and more knowledgeable diver this year? I see alot of questions on the board... Everyone just hands out answers. Maybe we should all push for people who have alot of questions to enroll in a class to further their knowledge of diving. Your thoughts?

We could name it "The SCUBA Instructors full employment act".

Bob
---------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Port Orchard... Im from Tacoma. Lighthouse Diving (Seattle Store,) UnderwaterSports (Federal Way Store, Walt) Port Orchard call Dave Tagert, Tacoma Scuba Brian. DIT Seattle Mike Hemion. You have access to very knowledgeable instructors in the NW, so I really dont know why your complaining. Maybe you should have done a little research before you picked your instructor... Most importantly if you dont like what is being perpetuated then do something about it. Become a better teacher then the one who taught you. Its easy to sit back and cry about how bad your class was with all the other traumatized students on here.The Higher road would be to do something...
Actually, Richard DM's for one of the better instructors in our area. But your information is out of date.

Walt's an old friend of mine ... he's long gone from UWS, and has set up his own store in Puyallup (ScubaSet).

Brian is long gone from Tacoma Scuba ... which happens to be the store I most prefer doing business with. Wally and Josh run the place ... they're awesome people and divers.

Lighthouse has some good instructors ... it has some poor ones too. I'll never forgive them for Dave Graddon ... an instructor who decided it was OK to take some very inexperienced students on a 200-foot bounce dive on air and single tanks. His cowboy attitude resulted in the death of a friend of mine. Granted Lighthouse had fired him just before it happened ... but he was simply continuing a class that he had begun as an employee of that business, and they had fired him for stealing rather than for endangering students.

DIT ... it's a commercial school ... they train underwater construction workers. I've known several instructors who train students there. Some are excellent. Some are much less so. Overall I'd consider it a quality school ... but not a place to send people to learn recreational diving.

This area has an abundance of quality instructors. It also has its share of instructors who make you shake your head and wonder how they ever managed to make it through their IE. Unless you know what to look for it's really a roll of the dice which type you'll get.

And in any event, classes aren't always the best answer for everyone in all circumstances. Classes are there to teach you how to learn ... the learning comes through diving. Nobody ever got good by taking classes ... that'll only teach you how to get good. In order to develop the chops, you have to get out and dive ... the more, the better.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm one of those people who just likes to keep learning. Classes are great ...

I would love to see more people who feel that way.
------ ------
It's always sad to hear people say they took a class and didn't learn anything. I've had folks through my AOW class with far more than 50 dives who were challenged, and came out thinking they got quite a lot out of it. Sometimes it's effort, but a good instructor will evaluate your skills and weaknesses and set the bar accordingly. Maybe you just need to choose an instructor with that mindset.

Well put.
------ ------
A good mentor is worth more than you'll ever pay for a class. But make no mistake ... both are valuable, and usually for different reasons.

Couldnt agree more..
------ ------
The problem with classes is that they're an artificial environment. Sure, you can learn a lot, but a good class doesn't really teach you how to dive ... it teaches you how to learn. The actual learning comes from applying what your instructor shows you in a real-world environment ... repeatedly ... until your body understands how to apply it with as little thought as you give to walking when you're doing so while engaged in a conversation with someone.

As I had already stated, no amount of "study"can replace guided pratice. This forum is not a replacement for guided pracitice, Jim in in previous comment has stated otherwise...
------ ------

It's a good book, actually ... I've been reading it lately ...

I couldnt say otherwise.. However looking at his profile, how long he has been certified and roughly how many dives he says he has. I just wouldnt read a book about diving that he wrote.. But I'll take your word for it.

I couldnt say otherwise.. However looking at his profile, how long he has been certified and roughly how many dives he says he has. I just wouldnt read a book about diving that he wrote.. But I'll take your word for it.

That's too bad ... there are things in that book that you simply won't find in typical PADI or NAUI training materials. I found it to be a good reference source for those who want to "fill in the gaps" in their education.

I only know Jim through ScubaBoard. I have no personal experience with how he dives or teaches. But I do recognize that he has applied himself well beyond the "requirements" of his training agency, and has a sincere desire to help people become better divers. I think his "promotion" has more to do with that desire than it does an attempt to profit from book sales ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Walt's an old friend of mine ... he's long gone from UWS, and has set up his own store in Puyallup (ScubaSet).

Hope it works out for him this time...

Brian is long gone from Tacoma Scuba ... which happens to be the store I most prefer doing business with. Wally and Josh run the place ... they're awesome people and divers.

Lighthouse has some good instructors ... it has some poor ones too. I'll never forgive them for Dave Graddon ... an instructor who decided it was OK to take some very inexperienced students on a 200-foot bounce dive on air and single tanks. His cowboy attitude resulted in the death of a friend of mine. Granted Lighthouse had fired him just before it happened ... but he was simply continuing a class that he had begun as an employee of that business, and they had fired him for stealing rather than for endangering students.

Your Talking about Chad Geoghehan, I knew him well. Dave was also a good friend of mine... Hard to say that... He is lucky the respect I have for Chad's family or the memorial service would have gone a little differently... I probably would have left in handcuffs...

DIT ... it's a commercial school ... they train underwater construction workers. I've known several instructors who train students there. Some are excellent. Some are much less so. Overall I'd consider it a quality school ... but not a place to send people to learn recreational diving.

I only made mention because that is where Mike Hemion can be found... He is one of the best, In my opinion. He will teach outside of that school. Which I graduated from 2004..

My info is not as out of date as you might think, Those people were around in those locations when richard was going thru some of his certifications 2008. Which was my point, it would have been irrelevent to state current facts... Was not aware Walt opened Scubaset again, good for him. I knew Brian had left I was just in Tacoma last month.

My info is not as out of date as you might think, Those people were around in those locations when richard was going thru some of his certifications 2008. Which was my point, it would have been irrelevent to state current facts... Was not aware Walt opened Scubaset again, good for him. I knew Brian had left I was just in Tacoma last month.

I have no idea who you are, but you are the last person I would recommend anyone take a class from or even listen to - based on your pompus attitude.

And BTW I "learned" to dive in 1994, in what was unicorporated Pierce County but is now the City of University Place. The class was beyond crappy and didn't even come close to meeting NAUI standards at the time. I know - I reported the instructor to NAUI listing every broken standard from the outline in the back of the book. They never responded. IIRC I got my $199 tuition back from Visa after a fight. I'm sure you'll find some way to blame me for that experience and go on about how even crappy classes are valuable.

Now I need to refind the mute button here again.

Reactions: Jax
You have made it this far. Anyone planning on becoming a better and more knowledgeable diver this year? I see alot of questions on the board... What are you going to do this year to become a better diver?

This thing has gotten way off track from what I was looking for. So I have modified the last sentence of my original post.

You have made it this far. Anyone planning on becoming a better and more knowledgeable diver this year? I see alot of questions on the board... What are you going to do this year to become a better diver?

How far have I made it ? I don't understand that statement. I am always trying to become a better and more knowledgeable diver, and it's been 26 years since I started.
What I am doing to become a better diver is to keep diving, and learning from the experiences of others on this forum.

There is much to learn from the experiences of others.

But most of all, the sea answers all your questions .... Sometimes quite harshly.

Back
Top Bottom