Continuing Education

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EVERYTHING in diving can be learned by mentorship and experience, if you are willing to take enough time and take the risks involved in making mistakes. But the educational process can be shortened, made more efficient and less dangerous by seeking formal instruction.

I agree with your sentiments but can also see the flip side to this statement. Receiving formal education has very few barriers (other than financial) so some divers who should not advance, do, and are percieved (by themselves and others) to be more capable than they really are. Graduated self study need not be any more dangerous than the some of the poorly staffed and quickly administered training being offered today. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

However looking at his profile, how long he has been certified and roughly how many dives he says he has. I just wouldnt read a book about diving that he wrote...

There's an old saying that applies here. You appear to know the price of everything but not the value.

Most importantly if you dont like what is being perpetuated then do something about it. Become a better teacher then the one who taught you. Its easy to sit back and cry about how bad your class was with all the other traumatized students on here.The Higher road would be to do something...

Which is why my husband is an instructor and I am a DM, and Richard is a DM -- we ARE doing something.

I like classes. I like having someone else gather up what I need to know and put it in one place, and I like getting feedback, and I like being measured against a standard. Learning something new is also just plain fun, and classes have a social component to them, too. I do think it's a shame that some diving classes amount to very little more than being in the water with an instructor for 45 minutes (my "boat diving" class in Maui) or not EVEN being in the water with an instructor (a couple of the dives in the nav specialty I never finished).

I would never tell a new diver not to take classes. But I also would not tell them that they had to take them to learn everything they needed to know. A lot of things can be learned through diving with a good mentor, as Bob said, and as he did for me. Some things are better left to instructors, at least good ones.

Which is why my husband is an instructor and I am a DM, and Richard is a DM -- we ARE doing something.

I think that my initial YMCA instructor did as much as he could, given what he had to work with. But even so, my motivation to become a dive instructor had a great deal to do with what I felt wasn't being taught ... at least as it pertains to our local diving environment. Most recreational training is really geared toward the largest audience ... which is the person who will be diving in tropical conditions under the guidance of an in-water divemaster. We just don't do it that way here ... and that introduces some needs that were not addressed in the formal training. Many of those are addressed in the articles on my web site ... and in the curriculum I've written into some of my classes.

I've been fortunate to have hooked up with good instructors over the years. Each added something important to my knowledge, each gave me some new skills to work on, and many gave me inspiration for the type of dive instructor I wanted to become. But by no means did they teach me everything I needed to know. Some of the more important skills ... gas management being the most obvious one ... I learned completely outside of the classroom. That glaring hole in diver education is why I started giving free gas management seminars back in 2006 ... and continue doing so. It pleases me no end to see the change it's made in local dive thinking ... where we now have multiple instructors giving similar seminars, and quite a few more addressing the concepts and techniques of gas management in their recreational classes. I don't by any means think I'm solely responsible for that ... but I DO think I helped raise the awareness in our general diving community that it was a topic that needed more attention than was previously being given.

I look around now and see some of the outstanding newer instructors who've come onto the scene since I started teaching seven years ago and am tempted to say "my job is done here" ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi brendon,
You seem like a very experienced diver. Certainly more experienced than me in the recreational realm.
I have many many hours of dive time logged, and am probably more at home in adverse underwater conditions than most ... My guess is that Akimbo , also on this forum, is probably off the same boat as me.
However within the realm of recreational diving, I find that I learn a lot more here on this forum than I would on a dive boat or in a classroom.

Just to clarify, I was fully employed as a commercial diver for 6 years.(Epic,Miami Diver,Outlaw Diving). I never did make it to SAT, but plenty of mixed gas dives and about 95% required Deco. It stopped being exciting and fun after 2yrs.. I stuck at for awhile, now im doing what I love. Forums like these are important, and for some the only way of gettting additional training it seems. My only issue is that some feel it to be a replacement for person to person guided instruction. I cannot disagree more then I already have. I appreciate your input. Stay safe!

Who said in any of these posts that it was a replacement? Not me. Not for good face to face guided instruction. But for poor instructional practices where corners are cut and divers shortchanged- I'd say its much better. I spent two years researching fatalities, analyzing accidents, looking at training procedures, and listening to everyone I could. What I came away with was what pushed me into writing everything I've done to this point. Essays, courses, lectures, presentations, and yes my book. No one here is more for education than I am. Sometimes that education has to come from within as well as outside oneself. I also am planning on more training. And not just with scuba. There are other life skills that relate to diving. A Diabetes and exercise course at my local hospital, the DAN on line courses, even some swim lessons to improve my technique. All of that followed by self study, research, and practice. My wife passed away a year ago and one thing she made me promise was to never let an unskilled, unsafe, or poorly trained diver get in the water if I could do something to prevent that. As an instructor I do that to the best of my ability. As a writer I try to meet that promise with the divers I may never even meet. Based on the feedback and reviews I'm getting I know that she feels I'm meeting my promise. Not only locally but now in many places around the world. I don't need your approval or acceptance.

Jim,

Qouted from your own responses...

"I do believe in continuing education. IMO Scubaboard, The Deco Stop, The Cyber Diver, and all the other on line forums are a form of continuing education. They do not require a checkbook or Visa card.

It is not necessary to take class after class to stay safe.

A safe diver can continue to learn by diving with more experienced divers.

If he never takes another class he is still one of the safest divers I know and I would trust him with my life at any time.

An OW diver who goes out and dives could come here and get a better education on dive theory, safety, planning, and procedures than they could in many formal classes.

THere are likely thousands of divers who stay safe and never take another class."

I dont believe you to be against continuing education. Please correct if me if im wrong. You are for the most part against OW Divers taking additional classes with instructors because you feel it is a waste of their money. You advocate learning, via other divers, books and these online forums.

I dont have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the words you choose to use in regards to the diving community instructors. I understand that are alot of crappy instructors, part of the reason why I have chosen my path... It seems you would have us turn into a freebsd software version of a certification organization. Free E learning for all. That is just great... Thats really going to help the diving economy... You definitely dont need my approval, but you obviously seek it from others on this site that listen to , what I believe to be non-sense. Im sure you are a good instructor and you have obviously spent sometime doing your own learning. You obviously care about the safety of other divers, you and I differ on how to get them there. I do not agree with you. That should have been my first comment to you without the rest the garbage I spit out. It is my intention to train better intructors and give more substance based classes.

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I've removed a bunch of off-topic and/or arguementative posts from this thread. Please save this type of debate for private messaging, if it is required at all.

Jim,

Qouted from your own responses...

"I do believe in continuing education. IMO Scubaboard, The Deco Stop, The Cyber Diver, and all the other on line forums are a form of continuing education. They do not require a checkbook or Visa card.

It is not necessary to take class after class to stay safe.

A safe diver can continue to learn by diving with more experienced divers.

If he never takes another class he is still one of the safest divers I know and I would trust him with my life at any time.

An OW diver who goes out and dives could come here and get a better education on dive theory, safety, planning, and procedures than they could in many formal classes.

THere are likely thousands of divers who stay safe and never take another class."

I dont believe you to be against continuing education. Please correct if me if im wrong. You are for the most part against OW Divers taking additional classes with instructors because you feel it is a waste of their money. You advocate learning, via other divers, books and these online forums.

I dont have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the words you choose to use in regards to the diving community instructors. I understand that are alot of crappy instructors, part of the reason why I have chosen my path... It seems you would have us turn into a freebsd software version of a certification organization. Free E learning for all. That is just great... Thats really going to help the diving economy... You definitely dont need my approval, but you obviously seek it from others on this site that listen to , what I believe to be non-sense. Im sure you are a good instructor and you have obviously spent sometime doing your own learning. You obviously care about the safety of other divers, you and I differ on how to get them there. I do not agree with you. That should have been my first comment to you without the rest the garbage I spit out. It is my intention to train better intructors and give more substance based classes.

I didn't at all read into Jim's comments what you did ... then again, perhaps that's because we have years of posting history between us, and tend to share some philosophies about the value of continuing education.

Here's how I see it.

Continuing education, I think, gets marketed too heavily in today's scuba training. That doesn't mean it has no value ... it means that it gets marketed to people in such a way as to get them to sign up for the next class before they even complete the one they're in. I see it all the time ... people who become divemasters just a few months after they began their OW class, and who come out book smart and completely ignorant of real-world diving ... because, well, they haven't really done any. I've seen too many examples of divers doing worthless, 20-minute dives to "get their numbers up" so they could qualify for the next class ... divers who own solo certs who can't hold a safety stop, or who can't descend without crashing into the bottom ... people with DM certs who can't even take a compass heading unless they're kneeling on the bottom. It's way too common ... and to someone involved in the training industry, it should be an embarrassment.

So what's the problem? Certainly the agencies didn't design these classes with the idea that they were going to graduate students who didn't have the skills. But they do.

Why? Well, the way I see it, it's because people are led to believe that in order to gain better access, or improve their skills, or get some form of recognition from their dive club or dive shop, they need the cert. And so the emphasis becomes one of getting the certification, rather than gaining the skills.

You're new here ... stick around and read the tales ... particularly in the New Divers forum ... of divers who come out of AOW complaining that they didn't learn anything. Does that make the AOW a worthless class? I don't think so ... not if it's done properly. It's worthless to those students because they got pushed into it straight out of OW ... before they had a chance to get comfortable with OW skills ... and so they were incapable of gaining from the class the additional skills and knowledge it was designed to teach them.

Jim ... like myself ... believes that divers should get some real-world experience between classes ... get comfortable with what they learned in their last class ... before signing up for the next one. Because the best instructor in the world can't teach you something new if you're still processing the stuff you were supposed to have already learned before starting in on the new stuff.

Classes are but one tool in the diver's toolbox. Certainly they're an important one ... possibly the most important if done properly. But they're not the ONLY tool ... and you can't build a house with just a hammer. You need to use all the tools that are available. Additional tools include online and printed resources like ScubaBoard and Alert Diver. They include personal interaction with more experienced divers ... which is why dive clubs exist. And most of all, they MUST include actually getting in the water and going diving ... and I DON'T mean in the next class. Sooner or later a diver has to cut the umbilical with the instructor or divemaster and strike out on their own. You CAN'T really understand what you've been learning in a class by taking another class ... you're just substituting one artificial environment for another.

Look ... Jim and I are instructors. Do you REALLY believe that we don't see value in classes? Seriously ... I want what's best for my students. If I think they're ready for the next class, I'll happily sign them up. But the LAST thing I want is for some student of mine to get on a forum like ScubaBoard and say that they didn't learn anything ... or that it was a crappy class. And for that reason, if I think they need more bottom time before they'll get the most out of that next class, I'll tell them so ... I might even offer to take them diving, or hook them up with a friend who can mentor them a bit to get them ready for that next level.

Classes aren't a panacea ... if taken in too rapid a succession, they can be an inhibitor ... because you'll be so focused on taking classes that you'll lose sight of what got you into diving in the first place.

I applaud your enthusiasm ... but there's such a thing as too much of a good thing. People who burn out, drop out ... and when a diver loses their enthusiasm for diving and leaves the activity, it harms the industry. You seem pretty well connected ... so you probably have an idea what the dropout rate in scuba diving is. Consider why so many people drop out of it ... I'm sure there's several reasons, but a major one is that they don't feel they're having fun ... and there's only so many discretionary dollars to go around, so having fun is really the priority. Taking crappy classes isn't fun ... and often the reason why the class was crappy is that the student wasn't ready for it yet.

I don't push classes ... never have. I won't accept a student who I think isn't ready. And yanno what? I can go through seven years of student records and tell you confidently that more than 80% of the people I've taught are still diving.

Think about that for a moment ... that's about the reverse of the world-wide trend.

So I ask you ... which one of us is doing a better job of promoting the industry?

There really is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Perhaps what the industry needs to do a bit better is learn how to space those classes out and provide better value for the hours and dollars people spend on them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Brendon are you saying that you are now doing what you love, are you an OW Instructor, is this being upset over ya think it is hurting the students from classes?

Now I only ask cause it will not, most take a class and will trust the facility they go through, the ones that Google for info on there Dive shop or instructor, will come up here on ScubaBoard.

Now saying this, this is the internet and it is a library, that answers you. When I learned it through reading, If I had a question and asked my mom, she would say i don't know, grab your gear and go find out. Diving and what I read in a book. Now I had some of the best wreck divers take me and I learned all I could, yet I was younger and they did what they could to help me.

Owen Lee is the far best Paper back internet there was in my dive classes, Owen can make you laugh, get serious, stress on safety, and most important Owen Lee had two blondes kissing on each cheek and telling you what was most rewarding about diving, I never knew what he meant till My first Hardon. To learn from reading is a way to retain on your own spare time. I will read the thick Owen Lee book and it outweighs any thing here or at a dive shop.

Diving is Dangerous, I have said this all my life, the diver makes it safe, I always leave that part out, cause there are so many unsafe divers out there, and always will be, from the scene's on SeaHunt to the scene's of today.

Happy Diving

You have made it this far. Anyone planning on becoming a better and more knowledgeable diver this year? I see alot of questions on the board... What are you going to do this year to become a better diver?

To answer the OP and demonstrate why I think "taking another course" is not the only avenue available to becoming a better and more knowledgeable diver...

1. Either purchase or build my own Hydroglove style exposure suit and learn how to dive it, become proficient in servicing my DH reg's and generally do my part to help build a vintage equipment community in the PNW.

2. Do a series of exploratory dives in a second interior lake to locate and record microbialite formations. This info will be added to what I've already reported previously in regards to diving in Pavilion lake.

3. Continue to work on my local small scale research project, finishing my dive guide, encourage other divers to participate, and report any pertinent findings to DFO.

4. Make a commitment to contribute something meaningful (demonstration, display or information) to my dive club at least every other month.

5. Pass the 100 volume mark with my vintage diving library.

6. Dive dive dive...

So let me ask. Besides taking yet another course, what other things are divers out there doing to become better and more knowledgeable? What projects are being worked on, communities being strengthened, information being shared, divers being encouraged etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom