Continuing Education

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see . . . I've taken a lot of classes. What did I learn that I didn't learn in OW? Well, shooting a bag. . . running line . . . Taking an incapacitated diver to the surface . . . managing complex tasks in midwater with minimal buoyancy changes . . . There is a list, and none of those things was I ready to learn in my OW class. And I haven't even addressed the fine-tuning and sharpening of existing skills (especially situational awareness) that has come from my classes. Situational awareness is one of the greatest things for an instructor to help you polish, because the essence of poor SA is that the person who has it is unaware of it.

I think there are a lot of things in diving that you ONLY learn by doing your own dives and being responsible for them. And there are some things you CAN learn on your own, but may learn faster and less painfully if someone else tells you about a mistake you are going to make BEFORE you make it. And there are some things (like proper line running) where you are quite likely to make a muddle of it, if you don't get some coaching.

Classes have a role in developing a diver. So do mentors, and so, most critically, does diving regularly (and practicing skills!) To focus too much on one is counterproductive, but to dismiss any is, too.

Reactions: Jax
As a newly certified diver I feel the OPs question is especially relevant to me. Here's what I've done so far. I did my OW and AOW together. Why? I wasn't satisfied with the amount of information given in OW alone and wanted more one on one training time also before I went out in the ocean and put my life on the line. To certify we drove to Blue Hole in Santa Rosa NM. Had to do 9 dives in 3 days to get both my certs. Glad I did it. I made mistakes. Glad I did also. I used to teach UNIX. If a class went smoothly with zero issues it was a bore and I felt the students didn't learn as much. If we had problems it gave us a chance to dig deeper and learn more, same with diving. I learned from my mistakes and had an instructor there to assist if needed.

Once certified, next I found these forums. Reading on here I started to realize how much I still didn't know which is one of the great values of forums such as these. I went to the book reviews section and hunted for good books to read. First one was Diver Down. Should be a handout to new divers IMHO. Made me actually step back and think about what I was doing and how I should go about doing it better, i.e. better buddy skills. I truly feel just reading that book and also various posts here about buddy skills has made me a safer diver. I only have 5 dives under my belt since certified but can honestly say I knew at all times during those dives where my buddies were. Without this further training I'm not sure I could have honestly said that. Yes, they teach you to keep near your buddy in OW but the seriousness of that doesn't really dawn on you until you further you education IMHO. Reading here I also learned tips on how to be a better buddy simply by doing things like not always swimming above my buddy to keep them in better view. Not fair to them.

Another book I'm reading is The Certified Divers Handbook. They don't really teach you "how" to dive in OW or AOW. They teach you the skills but not the real life lessons. I'm sure I would have shown up proudly with my full huge gear bag to my first boat dive if I hadn't read this. Instead I had my mesh bag and a little dry bag and that was it. It's intimidating doing your first dive without any of this kind of knowledge. I even got a little seasick after my first dive which surprised me (I'm used to boats, first time seasick) and knew not to run to the head and instead just let it go over the side. Chance I would have done otherwise without this little tidbit of knowledge.

I also have spent hours in my LDS's pool working on buoyancy and trim. Not to mention swimming laps at the gym pool with my fins on. I picked up a SMB also from reading and have been working with it in the pool. Will be adding a spool to it next and practicing that also. Next will be a lift bag and more practice. Things like these don't require a class to learn. Youtube has plenty of examples!

Once it warms up here, if ever, I plan on diving locally to keep my skills up. Figure learning to use a lift bag may come in handy if I find anything to bring back. I'm also hoping to make a drive out to St. Louis later this summer and hit the Bonne Terre mine. Sounds like an interesting dive to do. If I'm lucky and can pull it off, Cozumel this fall.

ScubaWulf, that's a great story! If you ever feel the urge to dive some cold, green water, head up our way. You're the kind of diver described in my sig line . . .

ScubaWulf, that's a great story! If you ever feel the urge to dive some cold, green water, head up our way. You're the kind of diver described in my sig line . . .

Thank you. Dry suit is a ways off yet but I see it in my future. One of my silly goals is to walk on the underside of the ice on a lake one day. :dork2:

Thank you. Dry suit is a ways off yet but I see it in my future. One of my silly goals is to walk on the underside of the ice on a lake one day. :dork2:

something you can do wearing a wetsuit btw...:D

I am presently busy doing certif dives for my Adv nitrox/Deco proc course with one of the very experienced tech/cave instructor who post on this board from time to time. Very humbling experience...Back to square one with plate/equipment set-up, valve drills with too many layers of thermal underwear I can care for (39-41F), finning exercises that makes me sweat in frigid water, etc. Looking forward (???) to next weekend when we (I mean I) will be doing mask replacement drill, more valve drills including blind drills, bag shooting and various exercises (stage bottles, buoyancy (mid-water, stops, stage bottle swapping).

Actually, this is as far as I intend to go in terms of advancement in diving in the foreseable future and I intend to use every opportunities that I have this year to keep honing these skills even when just recreationally diving with my GF and others. I also intend to keep diving unfamiliar places this summer for a couple of reasons...curiosity and the pleasure to see something different as well to keep me coming back to the basics in terms of dive planning and dive execution. I also intend to share some of those experiences with my son within the limits of his own training and capabilities.

Hey thanks a million you folks. Thats basicly exactly the question I was wanting to ask.
Heading into winter time here so motivation is sorta lacking a bit.

In writing this post, I have in mind new divers who might be reading this Thread.

The key to diver safety is a solid understanding of the basics - including rescue skills - that used to be part of every OW program.

Jim, you and I are in agreement on this. We also agree that the unfortunate reality is that many newly certified divers lack the skills and knowledge newly certified divers should have.

Personally, I encourage new divers to undertake continuing dive education. It makes up for some of the training deficiencies that I believe exist. Classes can also provide divers with a new opportunity to meet other divers.

I enjoyed the continuing dive education courses I took.

Frankly, I like weekend classes. The reality is that people are very busy. So, weekend classes on discrete subjects make sense.

For example, one can take a weekend Nitrox course and learn something. The same is true for a Navigation Class or a buoyancy class. They're quick and the divers learn something.

Just my opinion.

at this point I would recommend skipping the $1,000 (class and diving) AOW and just buy a nice computer and teach yourself how to use it.

$1000 :shocked2: I hope you went somewhere really cool. ... My AOW was $150 for the class and $30 for two days admission to the quarry.

After being certified for 5 years and diving in all kinds of different enviornments and seeing some really careless divers, I decided I wanted to get my rescue cert along with the first responder cert. I have completed those and have started with the DM course. I have no intention of teaching or leading dives, but really wanted to better understand the physics and phisology of diving. I have completed all of my instruction, passed all the written and the only thing left to complete is the stamina part of the certifications. I am working on my swimming endurance skills now in preparation for that which were severely lacking. All in all I just want to be a more informed and skilled diver.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom