Cost differences Mexico v Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reach gaps, super long jumps, conflicting arrows, and inconsistent marking of guidelines is for sure unsafe.

I haven't seen too many reach gaps still around, they've been removed for the most part (if you mean a reach gap where you pull the line over to the mainline and connect not just a close gap). I'm not sure how a really long jump is that big of a deal since just like here it's often to keep some people out of certain areas. I have yet to see a "conflicting arrow". I see arrows pointing to the closest exit, which isn't always the best exit, but that may conflict with your exit.

I have never been to Mexico to cave dive, I'll NEVER go. I was robbed, beaten up and left in the desert by Mexican police when I was on liberty from the US Navy & swore to God I'd never return if he got me out alive.

That being said: I have always heard and from many cave divers that the lines there are a mess and dangerous.

I haven't seen too many reach gaps still around, they've been removed for the most part (if you mean a reach gap where you pull the line over to the mainline and connect not just a close gap). I'm not sure how a really long jump is that big of a deal since just like here it's often to keep some people out of certain areas. I have yet to see a "conflicting arrow". I see arrows pointing to the closest exit, which isn't always the best exit, but that may conflict with your exit.
Wasn't there a fatality in Mexico a few years ago where someone got disoriented and swam to the end of a line, couldn't see the mainline, then turned around to go back and drowned?

I get bothered by the continued misinformation
My opinion is not 'misinformation'... it's merely my opinion. I'm sorry if you don't like my opinion but others rely on it. If you want me to change my opinion then there's a bit of work to be done. You'll have to earn my respect: not merely demand it.

But back to the OP, the location means squat if you choose a poor instructor. I've given the names of those I feel are worthy to teach my friends and even family from both N Fl and Mexico. There are certainly other qualified instructors out there just as there are some buffoons as well. Choose life and avoid aggravation: avoid the buffoons.

I have never been to Mexico to cave dive, I'll NEVER go. I was robbed, beaten up and left in the desert by Mexican police when I was on liberty from the US Navy & swore to God I'd never return if he got me out alive.

That being said: I have always heard and from many cave divers that the lines there are a mess and dangerous.

I'd heard that story. Luckily I don't think you'd have too much trouble taking the hippies in Tulum. But I get it. I've made a few Never Ever pledges like that and stick to them.

I'm not saying I don't get where the opinion comes from. My issues is that it is less of a reality than the propogated tales running around cave country. You'll also hear how dangerous it is in that area, how all of the cops want to take your license in order to get a bribe and there's tons of robberies at dive sites. That was true in the past, but the majority of that has changed. The cops rarely stop americans to get a bribe and the car break ins are no worse than you'll find at Telford or Little River, yet these seem to be the continually propogated stories.

The first time we went to MX to dive we were nervous of what to expect. It was nothing like the picture painted in cave country.

Wasn't there a fatality in Mexico a few years ago where someone got disoriented and swam to the end of a line, couldn't see the mainline, then turned around to go back and drowned?

Not sure which one you're talking about? Is that an example of a jump being too long? I don't see why someone losing their way means that jumps should be shorter for safety. I'd say accidentally jumping onto close jump lines would be worse

My opinion is not 'misinformation'... it's merely my opinion..

Maybe misinformation isn't the PC word I should have used. To say that their entire system is "strokery" is a pretty strong opinion is my point. But we'll just continue to have varied opinions

To say that their entire system is "strokery"
I never wrote that. Now, you're misrepresenting what I posted. If you want to discredit me, then please be accurate about what I write. Thanks in advance.
But we'll just continue to have varied opinions
Life would be boring and ScubaBoard would cease to exist if we all thought the same way.

Not sure which one you're talking about? Is that an example of a jump being too long? I don't see why someone losing their way means that jumps should be shorter for safety. I'd say accidentally jumping onto close jump lines would be worse

Maybe misinformation isn't the PC word I should have used. To say that their entire system is "strokery" is a pretty strong opinion is my point. But we'll just continue to have varied opinions

Yea it's a problem. If you come to the end of the line and don't realize your actually at the START of a jump line that can cook your goose. You're entire mental image of the cave just got shattered. Enter things like doubt, confusion, and a rapid cycling of different scenarios in your mind trying to make sense of the wacked out situation you've found yourself in.

Contrast that with coming to the end of a line and seeing another line in front of you. You not have more information to use to make a decision on what to do.

There are too many non-standard line configurations in their caves and that means that there are too many instructors down there who tolerate and/or embrace that kind of strokery..

I guess maybe I misinterpreted your comment some. You didn't say they're entire system. So I get the semantics, but I still disagree with the sentiment.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom