Cost Info for Back Plate & Wing Kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroknot

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

In the market for a bp/w kit. What should I expect to pay? I'm a warm water, recreational diver. Going to Belize in about 6 weeks.

The cost depends on what (if any) options you want with your package.

I'll also recommend NOT buying new gear right before a trip. That's not the time to be learning and making adjustments.

One of the disadvantages of a BP/W is they are so adjustable it takes several dives to get it just right. There is also a little learning curve if you are on your own. I think I was a little slow at 6 dives before mine was dialed in. I would not want to make the transition right before a trip. The first couple of dives may be a "learning experience".

I've seen new sets go for anything from around $350 (some of Golem Gear's sales) to over $700 (Halcyon Infinity). What you pay depends on a number of factors: backplate material (steel is more expensive than aluminum), brand, and options ("comfort" harnesses are substantially more than simple webbing harnesses, and weight pockets like the Halcyon ACB system or Zeagle's add expense as well).

Hi,

In the market for a bp/w kit. What should I expect to pay? I'm a warm water, recreational diver. Going to Belize in about 6 weeks.

Hi hydroknot,

You can "piece together" a BP/W system <$400 (that is what I did) or buy a complete package... Deep Sea Supply should be on your "short list" of places to consider for a complete pacakge.

I highlighted your statement about going on a trip in 6 weeks..... will you have a chance to test and adjust your new BP/W before then? Most folks find it takes a couple - few dives to get the harness tweaked and adjusted to your body. This process is not terribly difficult, but it is not like throwing on a rental jacket BC and just tugging on or loosening the straps to get it adjusted.... but the good thing is once you have the BP/W harness dialed in, it is GREAT.

Best wishes.

Another site that has a consistent price on BP/W is divers-supply.com. I only am stating this as that is where I acquired mine. TECHNICAL SCUBA BCD PACKAGE @ Divers-Supply.com

I concur with the statement to dive it several times before your trip with the same wetsuit you intend to wear as well as the same tanks (AL80s I am assuming). You may need to adjust the location of the wing to attain even horizontal trim. Additionally when placing your BCD on the tank make sure to keep the cam-straps in the same position on the tank otherwise you could throw your trim off by having the tank too high or too low in the cam straps.

If I was doing warm water diving I would purchase the Zeagle express tech. I don't think you can get a better bc for $250, see NetDoc's thread for more info.

I'll also recommend NOT buying new gear right before a trip. That's not the time to be learning and making adjustments.

For people who don't dive locally, every purchase is of necessity right before a trip. But yeah, if you can get in the pool before you go, that would be great. If not, it's just not that big of a deal. You will sort it out in a couple of dives, same as any new BC.

Golem has inexpensive packages and that's what I've got, but at this point I'm looking for something like a DSS or OxyCheq travel wing. The Golem 35 lb wing is really nice and tough, but it's bulky.

I'd also look at packages from North East Scuba Supply. They have some packages under $500 and could probably help you put together just about whatever you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom