Costs for NAUI Master Diver/ Dive Master???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just wanting to get some answers on what is costs on an average to get your Master Diver and Divemaster certs cost. I would like all agencies to post what they charge and anybody for that matter to put down what they have payed.

I know for NAUI you have to get your Master Diver cert before you go for your Divemaster. PADI is diffrent, I know how it works I just want to get some shop and agencies prices.

Thanks

I was just wanting to get some answers on what is costs on an average to get your Master Diver and Divemaster certs cost. I would like all agencies to post what they charge and anybody for that matter to put down what they have payed.

I know for NAUI you have to get your Master Diver cert before you go for your Divemaster. PADI is diffrent, I know how it works I just want to get some shop and agencies prices.

Thanks

Agencies do not set the price of courses.The facility/instructor does..called "what the market will bear"..
That said I charge $500. for Dm course + materials.PADI course.

Im doing MASTER DIVER with NAUI and it will cost me 170 (this winter - waiting for 1 more person to sig up)

To do the Dive master - my dive shop does not charge - but they are strict, VERY strict with who they will let do it. They also do not charge for instructor. Afterwards you comit to helping with classes and trips in exchange for the training.

My master diver course is 400 plus boat fees and student must supply their own gear. This is an actual course involving pool, classroom, ow skin diving, and a minimum of 10 ow dives. More may be required if I feel they are called for. DM course is 250 plus materials and candidate gets compensated for helping with classes above the tuition break. DM candidates are invitation only. I have small classes and putting 3 or 4 dm candidates with 4 students would just be silly. I have not done a dm class yet. Have 2 or 3 possibles for next season.

Like said above, it will vary from region to region and from shop to shop. However, there is a slight misconception in what you write. In NAUI, there is a requirement to do Master Scuba Diver before Divemaster, but that is because a lot of the training, especially the dives, in MSD are the same as on DM. So basically, you can do the two as one course, in which case it is very similar to PADI DM.

All in all, if you're considering DM or MSD, go for the agency where you feel you'll learn the most, and the best possible instructor you can find. Worry less about the cost, as there won't be that much of a difference. And you want the best teacher you can find.

NAUI Divemaster course cost me approximately 40 weekends and every weekday after my PAYING job was complete. Filled tanks, hydro'd tanks, VIP'ed tanks, move tanks, loaded tanks, unload tanks, kicked tanks, cursed at tanks, set up classrooms, taught course material, set up pool sessions, conducted pool sessions, organized check out dive trips, organized social trips. Filled tanks....loaded...tanks.....

Anyway, all worth it if done for the right reasons. I have little respect for zero to hero courses and they're easy to pick out in a crowd. If you're not going to BE a Divemaster, pay dues, and insurance and stay active then I really don't see the point going past (NAUI) Master Diver as it's an actual course and it will provide you with instructor level knowledge and demonstrable skills, not just another shiny card :D (had to)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Im doing MASTER DIVER with NAUI and it will cost me 170 (this winter - waiting for 1 more person to sig up)

To do the Dive master - my dive shop does not charge - but they are strict, VERY strict with who they will let do it. They also do not charge for instructor. Afterwards you comit to helping with classes and trips in exchange for the training.

Water getting cold to get all the dives in. Good luck and stay warm.

Jeff

Like said above, it will vary from region to region and from shop to shop. However, there is a slight misconception in what you write. In NAUI, there is a requirement to do Master Scuba Diver before Divemaster, but that is because a lot of the training, especially the dives, in MSD are the same as on DM. So basically, you can do the two as one course, in which case it is very similar to PADI DM.

All in all, if you're considering DM or MSD, go for the agency where you feel you'll learn the most, and the best possible instructor you can find. Worry less about the cost, as there won't be that much of a difference. And you want the best teacher you can find.

A big mistake in what you write above the dives for NAUI Master Scuba Diver are very different than those required for NAUI DM. DM dives deal with setting up dives, assisting with instruction, guiding divers the dives required for Master diver do not deal with caring for other divers but rather refining/perfecting basic skills and experience levels at various dives such as Search and Recovery, navigation and other skills depending on location and how the individual instructor designs the course to meet the students needs. The class I teach in tropical Okinawa will have different dives than a class conducted in a cold water lake or quarry.
Now many instructors do combine the class and run them concurrently which is possible but the classes are very distinct in there required content of dives and academics.

Water getting cold to get all the dives in. Good luck and stay warm.

Jeff

Hoping for classroom in Jan.

NC in Feb (weather dependant) - trip already scheduled, but apparently this particular one gets cancelled 50% of the time due to weather.

Finish up in NJ in April/May

But thats just the plan - well see if it happens.

Two comments:
The NAUI Divemaster rating is higher than the PADI Divemaster rating, so there should be some difference in time, cost and requirements.

Secondly, by the time you reach achieving "pro level" training, the instructor is allowed some leeway regarding acceptable criteria. There are the zero to hero programs that meet minimum acceptable standards; there are other programs that view DMs as an indentured servant; and then there are instructors that recognize the value and capabilities a well trained and talented DM can bring to a class & work to mentor this type of Divemaster.

I guess what I am asking is: Are you just interested in the price or the value?

Back
Top Bottom