Cozumel in July 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sigh...my 3 weeks in Cozumel came to an end as I returned home last night. It is going to be a difficult adjustment, I can tell.

Final tally - 36 dives with Scuba Mau, I've already said it but I love these guys. Got my AOW certification with Mau - next stop, rescue. Dove my deepest dive ever at Devil's Throat (139 feet) and my longest dive ever at Cedral (1:22). I really felt my diving improve on this trip, it all kind of came together and clicked and I'm getting more confident about what I can do. Just things like hovering close to the ground and not freaking about hitting coral, relaxing and hanging motionless at the safety stop, improving my air consumption...that kind of stuff. I came on this trip just shy of 50 dives and left it getting within sight of 100 dives but I finally really feel like a mostly competent diver. Yay!

Creatures - man, I saw them all. Sea turtles, sharks, eagle rays, seahorses of all colors, pipehorses, nudibranches, a juvenile something-or-other that looks like a little black and yellow marble...shrimp, crabs, lobster, octopus, a frog fish, two lionfish (one captured, one escaped)...fanworms, eels (including a gigantic moray swimming out loose), barracuda, grouper...I could go on for days but I think you get the idea.

I had friends with me the first week and was fortunate to get to dive with and/or meet some really great people during my last two weeks. Some shoutouts to those who I know post on the forum:

firstdive2005 - man, this guy can dive (and does, multiple times a day, we're talking serious stamina here). Not only that, he is really, really nice and encouraging and gives excellent diving tips. Thanks for helping me out, Kevin - you rock and I would dive again with you in a heartbeat. The Canadian contingent was out in full force and I loved every minute with you guys.

ikwik69 and surely - it was great meeting you two, wish we could have dived together but hanging out together topside was loads of fun also.

diverG - also fun diving AND hanging out with you! I know you're there one more day so if you get this message in time, have a drink at La Hach for me tonight. :)

beachdiva - sooooo good to have another partner in crime to hang with - girl power! We will always remember the speedo and the bronco ride, lol.

Oh, well, they say all good things come to an end and this one did. Now it's time to plan my next trip and new beginnings!

Sigh...my 3 weeks in Cozumel came to an end as I returned home last night. It is going to be a difficult adjustment, I can tell.

Final tally - 36 dives with Scuba Mau, I've already said it but I love these guys. Got my AOW certification with Mau - next stop, rescue. Dove my deepest dive ever at Devil's Throat (139 feet) and my longest dive ever at Cedral (1:22). I really felt my diving improve on this trip, it all kind of came together and clicked and I'm getting more confident about what I can do. Just things like hovering close to the ground and not freaking about hitting coral, relaxing and hanging motionless at the safety stop, improving my air consumption...that kind of stuff. I came on this trip just shy of 50 dives and left it getting within sight of 100 dives but I finally really feel like a mostly competent diver. Yay!

Creatures - man, I saw them all. Sea turtles, sharks, eagle rays, seahorses of all colors, pipehorses, nudibranches, a juvenile something-or-other that looks like a little black and yellow marble...shrimp, crabs, lobster, octopus, a frog fish, two lionfish (one captured, one escaped)...fanworms, eels (including a gigantic moray swimming out loose), barracuda, grouper...I could go on for days but I think you get the idea.

I had friends with me the first week and was fortunate to get to dive with and/or meet some really great people during my last two weeks. Some shoutouts to those who I know post on the forum:

firstdive2005 - man, this guy can dive (and does, multiple times a day, we're talking serious stamina here). Not only that, he is really, really nice and encouraging and gives excellent diving tips. Thanks for helping me out, Kevin - you rock and I would dive again with you in a heartbeat. The Canadian contingent was out in full force and I loved every minute with you guys.

ikwik69 and surely - it was great meeting you two, wish we could have dived together but hanging out together topside was loads of fun also.

diverG - also fun diving AND hanging out with you! I know you're there one more day so if you get this message in time, have a drink at La Hach for me tonight. :)

beachdiva - sooooo good to have another partner in crime to hang with - girl power! We will always remember the speedo and the bronco ride, lol.

Oh, well, they say all good things come to an end and this one did. Now it's time to plan my next trip and new beginnings!

It was great meeting you novalyn. I am already talking to my friends about coming up for a visit soon. So I might have the pleasure of meeting uyou again within the next couple of weeks. As far as the bolded above, you already know the cure.

Hi Novalyne! Sharing the holiday with you was great! When I figure out how to send videos I will get the one of you when we went to see the frog fish. Good shot of your trim. Next lesson is to work on your frog kick. Just so I dont scare gabi again next time we go do the Devils'A$$. lol. Our dives together where great, watching you practice and enhance your skills was a joy. It helped me not get complacent about dive skills. Also I think babes in a bp/w is sexy! heheheh.

Oh, well, they say all good things come to an end and this one did. Now it's time to plan my next trip and new beginnings![/QUOTE]

Yes it was a BLAST indeed! Girl power - woohoo!!!!

It was great to meet everyone although for most it was a quick intro! Hmm, I seem to have that effect on crowds.....

@firstdive2005 -- did you see me wave to you at the airport? LOL

Lou from Chicago posted a pic of the Great Hammerhead we saw at Maracaibo on his facebook page. Here it is! It's probably good I didn't have my camera on that dive because I most likely would have thought it was a good idea to get close for a really good pic! :shocked2:

P.S. I'll post my whaleshark pics in that thread.

Attachments

• Maracaibo Great Hammerhead.jpg
    Maracaibo Great Hammerhead.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 68
Dude now I have to book back early to see that fish!

@firstdive2005 -- did you see me wave to you at the airport? LOL

Well it was kinda hard to see much with tears in my eyes. I just hate seeing all the happy faces coming in as I leave. Just kidding. but the tears where real. lol. I heard you had a blast that great.

Dude now I have to book back early to see that fish!
I'm gonna have to do something about my camera housing so it'll work a little deeper so I can take my own pics that far down next time! On the flip side, if I had it with me on that dive, the temptation might have been to great to swim after the thing to get a better pic! :D

I'm just glad Lou and his son were with us so at least one of us got a pic.

It was great to meet everyone although for most it was a quick intro! Hmm, I seem to have that effect on crowds.....

So how was the tequilla hangover on day 2? Those drinks at Coconuts will really sneak up on you! :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom