Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H2Andy:
holy cow, man ... how many times do i have to explain this to you?

i'll try one last time:

1. read what the Bible says about the star (it's only one verse)

2. think about what the start did according to the Bible.

3. read the article.

4. ask yourself: did this guy really explain what the Bible says the star did?

the answer is no.

all the crap he talks about is mush. it doesn't explain how a star can stop and start moving at will, and come to rest above where Jesus lay.

the only way to explain that is through the supernatural.

except this guy doesn't want to do that. he wants to come up with a "logical,"
"scientific" way to explain the impossible.

he can't.

thus, his article is claptrap

call it a miracle, let's go home, and let's stop trying to dress this 2,000 year old story up to look like science, which it isn't

Andy, seriously, please don't throw a clot over this, I understood what your response was the first time and what your point was is, it was very clear. As UP outlined above, the magi as astonomers looking for signs were watching for MONTHS the starfields seeing strange things occurring. This is clear from the entire chapter of Matthew and from some historical research.

Who were the Magi?
What did they do?
Where did they come from?
Who was Herod?
If he is asking them when the first saw the "star"...they didn't jump on a plane.

These are just a few questions you can look at and find further information to explain greater detail about the account beyond what is written in the text. If you are trying to understand any document or account, you have to ask and research more than what was just written on the page.

If you then look at the software we have available to track star tracks at any point in time from any area and you see what happened...wow...something DID occur which would add further detail to the story. The more you look at what happened...the more interesting the motion is...and it appears to give a logical, well thought out and demonstrable explanation of what was described.

So I'll ask you again...

please responded to the problems with the historicity or the astronomical phenomena described in the article.

You say that all he says is "mush" and point to "the star stopping" as being impossible and all he has done is "wanting" to come up with a "scientific" and "logical" way to describe what in your words is "impossible".

So I'll ask again...

Forgetting your hang-up with "the star stopping"...what is wrong with the historical details and/or the actual physical astronomical phenomena described in the article which occured at the time? Where is the "science" off? I don't understand why you'd hold the translated description contained in one line as being authorotatative in complete isolation when you can actually look at what DID happen in the skies at the time...how does it NOT describe what was written with much greater clarity?

You seem to be taking the avenue that everything you could possibly know is somehow contained within the direct text. It has been a halmark of Biblical scholarship that you must come to terms with context, audience, language and history to "color" what is written and come to a much fuller understanding. I don't understand why suddenly you would toss-out the research of someone who actually checked to see what happened because on the surface it doesn't appear to align with your preconception of what Matthew was describing.

I don't see a miracle in this as something which "broke" the laws of the universe, I see an amazing series of coincidences in the natural world which when aligned with the astrological beliefs of the time would tend to show "signs in the heavens".

As an astronomer/astrologer looking at the skies for "signs" and knowing what the beliefs were of the various groups...wouldn't YOU have to admit that what actually DID happen would have aligned with something very significant happening?

Andy,

Jesus turned Pug's tap water to wine. So, slim chance of Pug taking you up on your whisky offer.

Oh...what type of Scotch?

Also...funny, my two year old and I were playing my Schecter C7 Blackjack last night doing almost the same as you describe...

bwerb:
Andy, seriously, please don't throw a clot over this

dude, who says i am?

last time was supposed to be the last time, but i'll try again:

the bottom line for me is, "Is the account of the star as told by Matthew real or is it just a myth?"

what the Bible describes is impossible. short of a miracle, it can't happen.

thus, it's either a miracle or a myth; to me both are the same.

get rid of all the superflous claptrap, and that's the bottom line.

am i being clear now?

bwerb:
Oh...what type of Scotch?

well.. i'm in a cost-cutting binge, so Laphroaig 10 is all i can afford.... but GOOD stuff!

AXL72:
Andy,

Jesus turned Pug's tap water to wine.

bugger!

if that happened to me, i'd put Napa Valley out of business!

:wink:

H2Andy:
dude, who says i am?

well.. i'm in a cost-cutting binge, so Laphroaig 10 is all i can afford.... but GOOD stuff!

Point 1.) Good...just checking :D

Point 2.) Prince Charles would approve! Very "peaty"!

Point 3.) You think Scotch is overpriced where you are...hahaha...come on up to Soviet Kanuckistan and we'll talk about affordability issues.

aquanuts...:
I watched a two hour program yesterday on the History channel called before the dinosaurs, or something to that extent. They claimed 4.4 billion years.

Earth: 4.4 billion
Universe: 14 billion.

Uncle Pug:
To the Magi it wasn't a matter of the star *stopping* above a certain location on the earth's surface. They were looking for signatory events and well aware that Jupiter was just entering retrograde on Dec 25th 2BC. This was significant to them since it was the double retrograde and triple conjunction of Jupiter and Regulus that had started them on the journey months before.

You do realize that Dec 25 is not the day that scholars who believe in a historical Jesus actually think he was born, right? IIRC, most of them think he would have been born sometime in the spring. I was trying to find the reasons that Christmas is traditionally celebrated on the 25th, but wasn't having any luck. Probably because it's late and I need to go to bed! :D

bdshort:
You do realize that Dec 25 is not the day that scholars who believe in a historical Jesus actually think he was born, right? IIRC, most of them think he would have been born sometime in the spring. I was trying to find the reasons that Christmas is traditionally celebrated on the 25th, but wasn't having any luck. Probably because it's late and I need to go to bed! :D
The scholars don't believe that a historical Jesus was born at all, the say he didn't exist ... but that we've been through that earlier in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom