Crossover benefits to scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saniflush

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So I feel like there is certainly something on here about this but have yet to find it in scrolling through a couple of pages on the forum so I just thought I would ask.

I am not a free diver at this point but it seems to me that utilizing breathing exercises that free divers use to train their body would also be beneficial to scuba users. ie. drastically extending out their tank times.

Has anyone really gone down this road before and what if any potential hazards exist in doing so?

I thought about putting this in the advanced scuba section for more traffic, but when you want to get information from the horses' mouth you go to the barn.

Thank you in advance

Getting fit is always a bonus.

A caveat: don't free dive right after diving. Wait an hour or you'll be "bubble pumping" which can lead to DCS and/or stroke.

I did a freediving level 1 class. It was fun! I don't know if the breathing exercises would help much in scuba because it's mostly just practice holding your breath, which is not necessary for scuba. Although, it does teach you how to relax in the water, so if you are not relaxed in the water on scuba, it would certainly help with that. There is really no additional safety hazard doing both as long as you follow all the proper safety precautions for both.

I did a freediving level 1 class. It was fun! I don't know if the breathing exercises would help much in scuba because it's mostly just practice holding your breath, which is not necessary for scuba. Although, it does teach you how to relax in the water, so if you are not relaxed in the water on scuba, it would certainly help with that. There is really no additional safety hazard doing both as long as you follow all the proper safety precautions for both.

Not only "not necessary" but violates scuba rule #1: NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH!

I think Scuba Diving magazine did an issue a few years ago about free diving and I seem to remember one of the articles saying that you should not expect much in the way of breathing skills to cross over between free diving and scuba diving. They strongly suggested that you get proper free diving training if you want to do that because trying to do it yourself, or take scuba skills over, could result in a lot of problems.

Has anyone really gone down this road before and what if any potential hazards exist in doing so?

"Snorkeling" was part of my first Scuba class in 1962, which is an ancient ancestor to today's freediving . I took the ~5 day Intermediate Freediving course from PFI in 2010. It was without a doubt the only diving course I have taken since leaving the Navy that was worth spit (considering my starting point as a sat diver).

I am a firm believer in the value of freediving skills for Scuba divers. The physiology training, safety techniques, and in-water training will dramatically increase your panic resistance and self-awareness. It is a big investment but, IMO, is well worth it. Highly recommended.

The biggest benefit of extensive snorkeling is learning to be at home in the water. I snorkeled for years before donning scuba gear. I am still amazed that it is possible to breathe underwater.

Thank you for the responses. Pretty well what I expected and I will investigate a free diving course.

Not sure if you are serious here or not. If not I would amend that rule to say "never hold your breath when ascending". I hold all the time to listen, take a photo, or maybe just to enjoy the natural pause of where a breath ends/begins.

Not only "not necessary" but violates scuba rule #1: NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH!

freediving experience helps with comfort in the water, makes equalizing trivial, and can help with SAC by keeping you relaxed. but you can also get into a nasty habit of skip breathing on scuba if you are used to freediving.

but you can also get into a nasty habit of skip breathing on scuba if you are used to freediving.

I guess this is what I was kind of asking without knowing how to ask it.

So I can certainly see how you would not want to be taking breathes under pressure and holding them for minutes on end with the potential of decreasing your depth. I guess holding your breath at the natural exhale pause of a breathing cycle would be optimum to guard against over expansion.

Not sure if you are serious here or not. If not I would amend that rule to say "never hold your breath when ascending". I hold all the time to listen, take a photo, or maybe just to enjoy the natural pause of where a breath ends/begins.

The rule I was taught was:
"Never hold your breath while ascending on Scuba or your lungs will explode in your chest and you will die a horrible death"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom