Currency Exchange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the ATM's at Mega or the airport primarily because I do not read Spanish. Unlike every Bank ATM I have seen in the US over the last 20 Years that are Spanish / English (default lately is Spanish) in Mexico the in bank ATM's are often Spanish only. At Mega or the airport the bank branded ATM's have an English option. Credit cards can be hacked anywhere but the only time I have been hit was just prior to trip a couple years back in Dallas. The credit card company caught it and contacted my wife who tracked me down while enroute to a dinner at El Morro's. 15 minutes on the phone and it was taken care of and I swapped to an alternate card for rest of the trip. Since then I pre load an account from Schwab for traveling which is firewalled from my primary bank.

As you exit customs hang a left pass the time share guys and head towards the ticket counters.
Did they move it? I arrived & departed thru Cancun last time, but for years as I recall, getting to the shared van ticket counter has been hang a right after Customs, then look to left.

Do ignore the time share guys pretending to want to help you with whatever you say you want. I find it easy to say no, and "move please" if they get in the way.

Did they move it? I arrived & departed thru Cancun last time, but for years as I recall, getting to the shared van ticket counter has been hang a right after Customs.
If you go left prior to exiting the terminal there is an internal corridor / walkway to the other end of the terminal. You go past the offices and as it opens to the departures area there are several (3?) ATM's. I know there is a Banamex but I think there is also HSBC and a Santander

If you go left prior to exiting the terminal there is an internal corridor / walkway to the other end of the terminal. You go past the offices and as it opens to the departures area there are several (3?) ATM's. I know there is a Banamex but I think there is also HSBC and a Santander
I guess I am lost. I think the ticket sales is a right turn, look left, which is incongruous with your statement...
As you exit customs hang a left pass the time share guys and head towards the ticket counters.
Are the ATMs the same direction from Customs as the van ticket sales, or opposite?
Make sure to set up a travel alert with your bank.
Oh gawd yes. An ATM ate my card last trip because I forgot that essential.

Don.....they are talking about AIRLINE ticket counters/windows (to the left).........NOT the shuttle van ticket window (to the right)...........does that help?........hahha.

Don.....they are talking about AIRLINE ticket counters/windows (to the left).........NOT the shuttle van ticket window (to the right)...........does that help?........hahha.
Thanks, that clears it up. He said to hang a left towards the (airline) ticket counters. The missing word is what confused me.

The ATM's at Mega are fine. Never had a problem with them and I'm down there 4-6 times a year. I wouldn't use one on the street. That's asking for trouble.

The ATM's at Mega are fine. Never had a problem with them and I'm down there 4-6 times a year. I wouldn't use one on the street. That's asking for trouble.
There were rumors/stories a couple of years ago about an ATM in either Mega or Chedraui bilking someone, but I have no solid evidence of it. OTOH and IMO, using one of the small standalone privately owned ATMs out on the sidewalks is just asking for trouble.

I always use the bank branded ATM's in the municipal building across Melgar from Cozumel Palace. Never a problem <knocking on my wooden desk>. I prefer doing that and using pesos for nearly all my financial dealings on the island to carrying large amounts of cash and/or using US$.

DSFDF and YMMV.

One thing I've started doing in the last couple of years is to take a pre-paid debit card. My bank offers them for no charge. I load up a few thousand dollars on it before I go. Use it to pay at Mega or Chedraui (you get current bank rates on exchange) and also to withdraw pesos. After I return stateside I withdraw all but a small balance. That way if I do get hacked, they are not hacking my CC or main Debit Card.

I'm leaving in the morning to head back down and have my pre-paid card in tow. Ready to get back underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom