Current / Drift diving sub forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
edwants2dive

edwants2dive

Glowstick
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey mods / community I have been thinking about this the past couple of weeks. I wonder if there would be interest and participation enough for a sub forum on this topic. I feel like there might be due to the fact that a lot of us here in south Florida deal with currents and drifting on a regular basis and it might be a good place to ask, answer questions and share experiences on this topic. Just a thought.

My reasoning was when I did a search on current or drift the results are all over the boards.

The problem is that there isn't much that's universal about drift diving.
If you go the article approach (and I agree, people posting trip reports for Komodo, Cozumel and West Palm Beach won't use the same forum), I suggest a broader approach. This is not something I'm seasoned in, so the main thing I can offer is suggestions on organizing the topic.

Something like this...

Guide to Current Diving

Unplanned vs. Planned

Unplanned - when you encounter current on a normal dive, and find yourself having trouble keeping up. Also covers the danger of rip currents when shore diving, down currents during dives, or a difference between currents at the surface and at depth.

Planned - drift diving, reef hook diving, diving using lines to get up and down to wrecks, tucking in to rocky surfaces to hold position (e.g.: Galapagos).

-----Pitch the importance of going down to wrecks on the anchor or buoy line since current may sweep you away (perhaps a photo of a diver flapping like a flag on the line to the Spiegel Grove? Anybody got one?).

-----Shore diving tip I learned from staff at Wanna Dive Bonaire by Eden Beach Resort; at least at their site, if small boats moored offshore were perpendicular to shore, little current. If they were parallel to it, big current. The point: discuss conditions with local divers and dive op. staff.

Gear and Technique - which fins and kicks are most useful. You may need to do negative entries and fin vigorously for the bottom - if you routinely have trouble equalizing, that can be a problem.

Physics - roughly how fast (in knots) can the typical diver swim? What level of current will simply not be fought successfully? How badly does SAC tend to go up when divers fight current? Be aware if a large profile diver has a lean, athletic dive buddy, the buddy may move through current fine while the large diver fights to remain stationary.

Diver Fitness - who should avoid deliberately seeking out current diving.

Related Conditions - the key fear is separation from your buddy or group and being lost at sea (where you can get swept miles away pretty fast). Therefore, visibility (to see other divers), proximity to land (e.g.: so you can swim to shore if you must), special equipment (e.g.: Nautilus Lifeline and/or PLB), anticipated quality of local rescue services and isolation of the dive locale deserve consideration.

Who Is Drift Diving For? Divers who like to ride the current with minimal effort and gas consumption and observe a large stretch of reef, particularly big animals.

Who May Find It Frustration? Divers who like to hover and observe a single coral head area for extended periods, search for macro subjects or take extended time to carefully set up photographs. Some divers may simply lack the knack for pacing the group and find themselves fighting the current.

Locations known for Current

-----Cozumel - Drift diving is the main method, viz. is excellent, the island is usually pretty close and dive op.s are accustomed to dealing with new divers.

-----West Palm Beach -

-----Jupiter, FL - Modest drift diving but lower viz. then Cozumel, the average diver is more seasoned, the focus is big animals, and the dive op. will likely put a guide in the water (perhaps unlike West Palm Beach or Boynton Beach). Note: @scubadada and some others know way more about this than I do.

-----Tobago - do I remember some post years ago where @Doc maybe mentioned it's got brisk current?

-----Komodo - known for brisk currents. Divided into northern and southern portions, with the south tending to have lower viz. due to more nutrients (IIRC; I've never been).

-----Raja Ampat - some current diving in the mix. I don't know how much.

-----Galapagos - some drift diving, but some lodging in place in the rocks (I think Cocos Island is also like this, and I'm guessing Malpelo; I don't know how they do things in the Socorros).

-----Palau - known for reef hook diving.

Equipment Risk Mitigation - plus the Nautilus Lifeline and PLBs.

@drrich2 is essentially suggesting a "Guide to Drift Diving" along the lines of the existing "Guide to BP/W" which then could be stickied somewhere (which brings us right back to the question of where to put it). Only problem is that someone will have to write the initial post.

@drrich2 is essentially suggesting a "Guide to Drift Diving"

@edwants2dive: Would this fulfill the intent of your suggestion? Can you think of any threads on ScubaBoard or Web pages that you found useful?

I volunteer to assist producing something like this but it should be written by someone with a more conventional recreational background.

@edwants2dive: Would this fulfill the intent of your suggestion? Can you think of any threads on ScubaBoard or Web pages that you found useful?

I volunteer to assist producing something like this but it should be written by someone with a more conventional recreational background.
That would be a good solution as well. I suggest that the sticky location be the top of the Advanced diving forum. As for writing it I would defer to members with more experience in current/drift than I to get the initial post in the format @drrich2 outlined. Thanks for taking this up I do appreciate that and believe it will be a good resource for members to easily access.

Just scanned through these. I think there are too many forums with repetitive topics already. I agree with article / pinned post method. I’ve found these useful and informative.

Have I told you this, we do a drift, actually I'll be driving over it next week to another site
and anyway it starts though a pile of really intesting ok so they're scuttled wrecks, lasts for
15 minutes I think and then for the next 15 you're drifting over not just a desert but an ugly
desert then it peters out and you spend ten minutes surfacing then you've surfaced, that's it.

But what I do is tell them I accidentally on purpose got pressed face first against the front of
one of the bridges and spent the entire dive trying to free myself but really I free myself really
quickly without having suffered an embarassing barnacle shave, then get spat into the lee of a
hold and spend the rest of the dive penetrating no current dreaming about the mission I am on

and they really don't mind looking for my speck in the distance 3ft dsmb and coming back for me

diving really is magnificent!

hey and they invite me back

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Back
Top Bottom