Custom wetsuit idea: would this work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cosmographer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After trying on dozens of wetsuits and reaching the conclusion that they are all a pain to put on and take off, I was considering getting a custom suit made that would come in 2 parts: jacket and pants (rather than the over-all style that comes with the farmer johns). With a bit overlap between the jacket and pants, I would think that insulation would be only slightly compromised. Any opinions?

In what you are proposing, a "beaver tail" has been used for decades to mitigate that area....

side note: I am currently looking at a 1 piece with a back zip, and relief zippers (gussets) on the arms and legs. How do you see this as difficult to doff or don?

Well, like I said, I've tried on dozens of wetsuits including one-pieces, front zips, farmer johns, suits with wrist and ankle zippers, etc. and they have all been a real hassle to don and doff. Maybe I'm just not as flexible as some? I was really hoping that the Waterproof I tried on today would be the ticket: front zip and wrist and ankle zips. But this turned out to be the hardest one for me for some reason. I couldn't even remove it on my own - had to ask the store clerk for help :doh:

Folks at Wetwear are strongly recommending a back zip for that very reason...

Once you determine the best off the shelf wetsuit versus a custom just use a wetsuit lube for easy donning. I spray the arms of my wetsuit.

I have to ask people for help sometimes with my horizontal chest zipper.

Farmer John, Beaver Tail

Some people cut the shoulder straps for warmer water.

Also a suit without shoulder straps. The bottom comes to above the belly button then the top is a beaver tail. I think it is Esclapez.

Austin's Diving Center: Spetton HexSkin 1.5mm Wetsuit, Wetsuits

This wetsuit is what you're describing. It has pants that come up about 6 inches above my naval. It's easy to get on and off too. Try Googling Free Dive wetsuits. In my experience they're generally warmer and more comfortable. Why? I have no idea how this came to be.

Might be an dumb question, but when doffing, you are pulling your limbs out so the wetsuit turns inside out right?

Also those freedive wetsuits from Hank49's are beaver tail jackets with either pants bottoms or overalls (like the bottom of farmer johns). Most of them are skin in requiring lube to easily put on. I don't think that would be what you're looking for.
Plush and wool lined suits are by far the easiest to don and doff IMO.

Have you looked at the 2 piece Fourth Element as a bonus it is neutral buoyant.

Also those freedive wetsuits from Hank49's are beaver tail jackets with either pants bottoms or overalls (like the bottom of farmer johns). Most of them are skin in requiring lube to easily put on. I don't think that would be what you're looking for.
Plush and wool lined suits are by far the easiest to don and doff IMO.

Not to be too argumentative, but he did state he was looking for a two piece with pants and a jacket but not farmer John. The Spetton wetsuit (I own and use one) I posted isn't farmer John and it also isn't an open cell, or "skin in". And it's easy to put on.

Have you looked at the 2 piece Fourth Element as a bonus it is neutral buoyant.

I've got the Fourth Element Thermocline, I used it recently on a trip to Cozumel in 80 degree water. I felt fine with it for the week. But I don't think I'd be wanting to use it in cooler waters. I did like it though, easy to put on and the idea of using less lead was nice.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?z4e1yy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom