• Knife

Votes: 99 75.0%
  • Scissors

Votes: 64 48.5%
  • other, please specify

Votes: 13 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may add a small knife someday, but I really prefer the trauma (EMT) shears. You can use them to cut through stuff with one hand, even when there's no tension on it. They cut through cable. They cut through grass. They cut through 3/4 inch thick line in no time. In a medical emergency, you can use them to cut someone's wetsuit off of them in seconds, or cut through a strap in a bc when the buckle won't release and time is critical. They neatly trim the ends off weight belts when they are getting too frayed to feed through clips and buckles. You can cut a penny in half with them (not sure if that's relevant to diving, but try doing that with a dive knife!)

And they're inexpensive, leaving more money for other scuba toys!

They're great!

otter-cat:D

It depends what I am doing. I usually carry and EMT shear, and a Dive Rite Z-Knife. If I am in the ocean, I will carry a medium size blunt tip knife also.

Otter,

When you cut the end of your weight belt, cut it in a V shape (so it has a pointy end), then run a lighter a couple inches under it til the ends melt a bit.

No more fraying, and the point on the end will make it easier to thread :)

On this subject has anyone tried the OMS shears that look like garden shears? They look seriously heavy duty.

Tom

I used to dive with a blade, kept poking myself with it though......... Used to always think that EMT shears were kinda wimpy, till I saw the "cut a penny in half trick". Now thats all I carry!

Mark

I use shears and a knife... Why??
Here's a test for you all take a 10' length of 20 lb test teflon fishing line go under water then try to cut it free with a knife
or some stainless wire fishing line.
After the test.... I bet you go buy a pair of shears :D
Fishing line is the most common intanglement, at least it is here wreck diving.

"It's better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it"

I usually carry two. However in some places only the divemaster is allowed to carry a knife or cutting device so if you get in a jam you have to rely on him/her to get you free. i.e. Mexico

I have a Wenoka Squeeze Lock knife on my corrugated inflator hose and some Mares Shears mounted on my waist.

I carry two knives and EMT shears too. The 5" blunt tip knife goes on the inside of my right calf and a 3" knife goes on the inflater hose. On my old BC I sewed the sheath to the shears to the pocket flap of the BC. It worked great and they were always where I needed them. Since I changed over to the Transpak II I haven't quite figured out where to mount them.

Ty

Love them EMT shears for zipping the britches off of a patient...
And they work great for diving too... if I ever need to...
Well I carry them anyway... clipped off in my left pocket.

Have a nice little knife.... sharp enough to shave with...
It is a little victornox curved blade paring knife that I ground the tip off... carry that on my singles rig.

Have another knife that I carry on my doubles rig... it used to have a longer blade but I scored it with a file and then whacked it with a hammer and now it is just right... ground the blade guards off of the plastic handle so it fits in the scabbard better... razor sharp too.

btw... I keep a short length of clear vinyl tubing shoved onto the business end of the shears... keeps them closed almost as good as rust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom