cylinder storage time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ellisj501

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I got my cylinder tested and filled during lockdown, ive been using it to practise kitting up and making sure my regs work sound, basically just playing until the sites re open.

I kitted up last weekend and I have good a good 210psi in the cylinder.

My question is this, how long can you have a filled cylinder in storage and if you have had one in storage for three months would it still be safe to dive with.

A side question of interest, whats the longest you have had a cylinder filled before you actually dived with it.

Thanks

John

I usually have my 4 tanks filled middle of Oct. for use over winter on select "warm" days. They last me until "Summer" (May) since my dives are very shallow always, but even more so in winter. I will finish the 4th tank on my last "winter" dive day in late April, so that's 6 months. No problems in my 16 years. Uhhh......., which forum is this--am I still on the Clarinet forum?

Pretty much indefinitely.

There’s nothing in there to “go bad”, and concerns of rust taking down the oxygen content would consume so much metal that the tank would certainly fail (assuming you have a steel tank).

you’re good.

Years.

Rebreather divers use bailout (emergency reserve breathing gas if the rebreather fails) cylinders containing expensive helium mixes for deep dives. These cylinders frequently go out of test as they’re taken on dives but not used.

I've dived second hand tanks of mystery gas that were sitting for 10+ years. That was unquestionably stupid - the air tasted funny (which is always a big red flag, and not the fun kind with the white stripe) but I didn't die.

Tanks sitting for several months is the norm and not an issue at all.

Years.

Rebreather divers use bailout (emergency reserve breathing gas if the rebreather fails) cylinders containing expensive helium mixes for deep dives. These cylinders frequently go out of test as they’re taken on dives but not used.
Guilty. I think I have the same bottles filled for over 2 years now. No intention of draining them.

For another reference point, I have an oxygen bottle in the garage (part of and oxy-fuel torch) that is over 15 years on the fill. In a pinch I used it for oxygen on the rebreather. It was fine.

3-months? I bet a fair number of dive shop training/rental cylinders have been filled well over 3 months (especially considering how last year went). Add in the number of boats that have a small SCUBA rig sitting just in case they stick an anchor or something like that. Likely to sit for years.

Back
Top Bottom