D420! How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok back to the D. Been chatting with Lex, my conclusion, SP are setting the levers way too high out of the factory.

You listening SP? Perhaps you can cover this in your next afternoons training seminar.
Ok, opened the 420 up this morning and this seems to be the case, the lever was up above the case by 3 to 4 mm, my spring adjuster was set deep to stop leaks and it was just not breathing well at all, honestly if some new bought one and only dove it they would get used to it and never give it a thought, at least until they tried one that was tuned up. I now have the lever a hair below the case rim and the spring adjuster closet to 1/2 of its travel and now this sucker (former sucker) it pretty amazing! I’m bettering Rom set it right after having taken it apart to show us all the guts, he is the D series guru after all.

I also see what look like plier marks on the lever, SP may still be in the hand made phase on this.

Mine from factory and finally from me. Same lever height issue as Lex.

09A608C2-B14B-4D99-AB70-35EE3B3191DF.png

91B432CA-250C-4AF4-86DB-23C4BDFD2258.jpeg

Lever height now, it's about 1mm below case rim.

8332A193-A9F6-4B6B-9121-106DF144A708.png

I'll likely up it to in line with case rim assuming next dive goes ok, going conservative initially.

I'm curious about how the D420 performs compared to earlier D series regulators: a well tuned pre 1994 metal orifice D400, a D350, or a D300. Most of what I dive with is old stuff (like me): Mk V and Mk 10 first stages, 109s, G250s, and a D350 that is the finest and easiest breathing second stage I've ever used. I'm unlikely at this point in my life to buy a new regulator unless it's a major improvement, a real game changer. Is the D420 a significant advance in regulator technology?

I think not. My D400s and 350s were the best breathing regs I've ever used.

Thus far I don't think the D420 is on par. The originals were effortless and natural plus. I think the 420 is good, hopefully better than good once dialed in but I don't think it's as nice as the old D. Even out of tune I remember thinking "wow" when I first used a D350.

Ease of disassembly and tuning is a big plus for sure but I still think the original D series rule supreme. A few more dives in I may well change my opinion but for today my pick is still the original. YMMV.

To add, I did a lot of wheeling and dealing to get my hands on one because I'm a gear freak and love new toys and have a great fondness for the OD. I'd not recommend anyone do the same if you think you're going to be getting an amazing life changing diving experience.

It's good for sure but so is a 109,156, D350/400, G250/V, G260, S600 etc etc. If you're into reg collecting, servicing, buying and selling or just want a new toy then it's a cool one to own/have owed. Just my opinion.

From a performance perspective, IMO, for your average rec diver it won't set your nighty on fire. 2 dives in I'd still take a G250/G260 over it if I had to choose. Luckily I don't so can keep playing with it trying to get the best out of it.

I'm really hoping that @lexvil and @buddhasummer got rogue regs. If they're all coming with high levers and tight springs to make up for it, we're going to have a lot of disappointed folks.
My 2 cents would be for each SB'er getting a new D420 to push out the thin pin holding the purge lever, and remove it. Then tap lightly on the diaphragm to determine the space between lever and diaphragm backing disc. From the first video (before I started messing with things), mine seemed to be about a half mm. With the tightly wound hex that Simon first saw, I'll bet he had no clearance at all.

Can't wait to see the manual. I'll keep checking the SP tech site, though that seems to be the last place they post anything. Hey @axxel57 , any luck at your end?

One word Finicky.

Re checked this morning, decided to put to spec at 1.3", turned hex key in and cracking dropped to .5 ??? Turned hex out about 1/4 of a turn and it jumped to 1.3", turned out again and dropped to .6". I have no idea what's going on.

It seems if I turn it in and then out or vice versa cracking changes a little more consistently with what you'd expect. Is something sticking?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom