Dale Hollow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's damn deep....I mean damn deep....I thought the idea of tirmix was to be a back gas capable of depths to 400+ feet...I could be wrong though, I have no training in that manner, but ultimately would love to get there.

A gentleman who lives in that area told me that it is over a 1000ft deep in places. But this could be false. I would be interested to know for sure though.

Chad

I would bet that the Army Corp of Engineers might be able to tell you an actual number since they helped create the lake.

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
I would bet that the Army Corp of Engineers might be able to tell you an actual number since they helped create the lake.

Good idea. I emailed the Corp and I will report back when I hear something.

Chad

O.K. folks,

I was certified in Dale Hollow in 1983. Until 1993 that was my primary diving location. I have probably around 80 dives logged in Dale Hollow. And probably 80 more not logged. Whatever you need to know I can probably answer. As far as the depth. There is a hole about a 1 mile across from the damn at a park that hits in the 300' range. There are no more "Underwater towns" unless you like to look at foundations. Dale Hollow has the same Viz as Laurel or Cumberland but it is the cleanest of the 3 when it comes to pollution. I can point out some nice boat diving. Also some nice camping. If I was to camp again and dive both days, I would rent a 16' runabout (Aluminum craft) for about $40-50.00 and camp at Pine Island. From there you can go off to some nice shallow diving to look at those foundations, fences, and a tractor.
Sulpher Creek has that hole I was talking about and some SHALLOW diving too. Rent a boat from Hendericks creek if your going to rent. If you want something like a houseboat you should go to Wisdom. Anyway, this is in fact my old stomping ground so I probably know what I'm talking about. I would be happy to point out some good dive spots for anyone. Also, Dale Hollow has some type of underwater vegetation that I don't know the name of. I always called it the Dale Hollow Kelp. It grows from the bottom to the surface and you can find it in small coves. I recomend staying out of those coves.

you won't want to dive these lakes wet in the early part of the year. Laurel Lake which is similar to Cumberland was 39 degrees in August with air temps well into the 90's. The earliest I have dove Laurel was in April and it was so cold it felt like I had frost bite--you know that burning sensation you get.

Depth of the lakes---many people think that the lakes are close to 1,000 feet deep. What they see that causes this is the elevation above sea level. As CBF noted the true depth near the dams is close to 300 feet

Thanks for the informatin Cincy,

We are going to have to work up a trip. I will probably stay at the SRP lodge though. You know me and camping. :D

Chad

All these lakes stay at 40 or lower at pretty much 3 ATA or deeper 365 days a year. I probably have some old Dale Hollow maps in the attic. I'll check into it and get back to you folks.

jbd once bubbled...
you won't want to dive these lakes wet in the early part of the year. Laurel Lake which is similar to Cumberland was 39 degrees in August with air temps well into the 90's. The earliest I have dove Laurel was in April and it was so cold it felt like I had frost bite--you know that burning sensation you get.

Depth of the lakes---many people think that the lakes are close to 1,000 feet deep. What they see that causes this is the elevation above sea level. As CBF noted the true depth near the dams is close to 300 feet

I would still like to look into the idea of making the dives. I've never been too afraid of the cold water temps, I just need to get out and be warm. I've seen 43 degrees at Gilboa in the spring at 80ft., as long as it is 50 deg. around 30 feet, I think I'd be O.K., but if the surface to 30 ft. is cold, then I'd have to be re-considering....and being driven closer and closer to that dry-suit.

I don't know if you folks have considered this yet but plan on 3+ hours of driving one way.

There is a real small Island that is sometimes underwater you can swim through. It's pretty cool. You are probably about 10 ft. under.

And yes, It is overhead enviroment. Get over it.

Back
Top Bottom