Dangerous lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I did analyse it, I just forgot to mark it."

"I did analyse it, I just forgot to mark it."

That's not just a dangerous lie, it's also a dangerous truth.

"I've never been on a boat before, I'm worried about getting seasick tomorrow. What should I do?"

"Don't worry about it. Get a good breakfast at the hotel buffet. You can get all the bacon you can eat with your eggs."

- Yes, I did tell him that after making sure he was going out on a different boat.

That's really cruel

Why? I use steel cylinders and don't feel the need to overfill them. My gas planning assumes a low fill before a dive. Unless you fill them yourself you are at the mercy of a tank mokey anyway. (Speaking as someone who has been a tank monkey).
I recently had a new tank monkey at a local shop who would only fill my double lp108's to 2200 since it didn't have the +. They normally fill to 3000, and I usually want at least 2640. 180 cubic feet instead of 216 cubic feet could make a big difference in dive plan.

really can that happen - i.e. doing full cave without AOW

Yes ... if you go the GUE route you can progress to Full Cave without AOW. You only need OW to take Fundies, and everything else progresses from that. In the end you'll get way more from that progression, but you will not get an AOW card.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Did you ever notice that some of the biggest lies are revenue creating?

... usually ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It is a sign of panicked diver sometimes. More often, it is a sign of a diver who is going to lose a mask.

Over the years I've collected boxes full of masks and snorkels ... many of them looking brand new. But in our area the water's cold, so the diver is wearing a hood, and can't feel it when a wave or excessive motion or catching their snorkel on a piece of kelp removes their mask. Also, the vis is usually poor enough that unless they know pretty closely where they lost it, they're unlikely to be able to recover it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I did not draw the conclusion that every diver with a mask on the forehead is panicked, you did that. I made the assumption that every diver who is panicked removes their mask, often by placing it on their forehead.

I'm sure my experience in that respect is far less than yours, but from what I've observed a panicked diver does not place their mask on their forehead ... they rip it off their face. Sometimes it ends up on their forehead, but it's far more likely to end up on the bottom ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not just in scuba, but life in general....

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing...."

... analogous to "hold my beer, watch this" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom