Dangerous lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, understand that we don't have lots of experience, so no judgements please. So we are doing 4 days of diving next week. I bought a Nitrox package that covers all the dives. But I noticed that one of the dives is 130 fsw - a wreck. The MOD of Nitrox 32 according to my computer is 110. So, I am thinking that we will opt for air during this dive. Does this make sense? It seems like a no-brainer but looking to my more experienced forum members to confirm.

They can't provide less O2%?

Another favorite of mine was the instructor who advocated diving while on acid to better appreciate the reef colors.

Does anyone know whether "Dark Side of the Moon" in Pet Cemetery is an acid reference? Can't help but wondering...

First, understand that we don't have lots of experience, so no judgements please. So we are doing 4 days of diving next week. I bought a Nitrox package that covers all the dives. But I noticed that one of the dives is 130 fsw - a wreck. The MOD of Nitrox 32 according to my computer is 110. So, I am thinking that we will opt for air during this dive. Does this make sense? It seems like a no-brainer but looking to my more experienced forum members to confirm.

I think I remember you are diving with RR. I bet they will let you dive air on the SG, or you could just not go to the bottom.. Right.. Stay above 110..

Personally I would just use a lower O2. 28% would still give you 1.4. If I am not sure how deep my next dive will be but that it will be no more than 110 ft I often fill with 30% since I like a max PO2 of 1.3.

Back to Lies
-instabuddy: My air consumption is not too good so I am trying to hold my breath longer between breaths.
--instructor I buddied with in Jules who was "helping" an ex-student. She keep going down and then bobbing up. He kept adding more weight, and more weight, and more weight.

Not dangerous, just fun: having a full cave card doesn't mean you're OW certified. Happened to me a few weeks ago on a dive boat. They asked for my c-card, and as usual, I produced my highest, Full Cave. And the DM checking the cards insisted on an OW or AOW cards - nothing "funky" like what I had. Now, it was an IANTD card, but not an instructor card or I would understand his problem given what's currently going on with that agency (just being snarky here).
really can that happen - i.e. doing full cave without AOW

have you been that depth before on air - how did you go?

I had a dive shop once tell me that open heel fins are required by agency training standards for OW...Not really dangerous, but definitely a lie...

They both have the same mass, but which is more comfortable to stuff your pillow with? For the same depth and bottom time, nitrox will leave you further from your NDLs. Ergo, safer. Regardless of the table used, for the same depth and bottom time, diving nitrox will result in less uptake of nitrogen in your tissues.

Correct, but -- pushing the lead vs feathers past reasonable limits -- you're not talking the same mass now, you're talking more comfortable pillow. Dive EAN to the NDL and you're just as "unsafer" as diving air to NDL. Cut your air dives short and you're just as much "safer".

I find
"budget scuba anything"
a very dangerous illusion or, if you will, lie.
In my case I convinced myself that a scuba trip on a budget was doable, got certified, went on that first self sourced budget trip - and considering it was a scuba trip, it was a budget trip - and was woefully clueless how this trip just posted "itself" as "the bait" and how I was going to take it - hook, line and sinker - and how much I am going to be sucked in into continued spending on this and that. Thought I could resist. Thought wrong... Worse, I find I rather enjoy not resisting too much... - when I can find the time for it... and I find myself thinking how to find more time...
I so took that self administered bait...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom