Dangerous lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uh....I've skimmed all the threads (even the non-MOF ones!). Regarding the OPs point--Nitrox better for deep dives--obviously too vague.
MOF- Yes, of course I've heard quite a few instructors (well almost every one I assisted) tell classes it's a sign of panic. As many say, it CAN be ONE sign but there has to be more, etc. So, I would assume I too was "half" lied to about that 12 years ago when I took OW.
Someone recently somewhere posted that (to paraphrase): Anyone diving Solo is Crazy. Well, that's either a lie or just an opinion, call it what you wish.
I guess I've heard instructors and others disagree on certain things, in person and here on SB, but hard to think of anything "dangerous".
But I'm gunna keep thinking on it, because I can't really think of any "Dangerous Lies" ever told directly to me. Then again, much of the last few years has been solo diving. But I may think of one as my wife says I talk to myself way too much.

Two interesting ones coming out of local dive shops recently ...

- You are no longer allowed to put air in a tank once it's been VIP'ed for nitrox. You have to use a minimum of EAN24.
- If a dive shop goes out of business, any VIP stickers on tanks from that dive shop are immediately invalid, and you have to get those tanks VIP'ed again by a functioning dive shop.

These came from two different stores ... neither of which will be getting any business from me anytime in the future ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Did you ever notice that some of the biggest lies are revenue creating?

Lol, You are so funny even if you don't mean it.

FYI, I was one of the first group of instructors in the world to be trained as Nitrox instructors by the "Godfather" of Nitrox probably before you became a diver. Perhaps you heard of "Physiological Advantage" and "Decompression Advantage"?
I suppose people have already explained to you that divers commonly come up with more bottom time AND less nitrogen loading when diving nitrox? What part of that do you not understand?

Here are a few chestnuts:
1. Balanced regulators are safer than unbalanced regulators.
2. Old regulators are really dangerous.
3. Not using ditchable weight is dangerous.
4. Steel tanks can only be plus rated until the first hydro.
5. Smoking improves air consumption.
6. BP/W (or back inflate BCs) push you face down on the surface.
7. Regulators need to be 'nitrox' cleaned (whatever that means) for nitrox use.

3. Not using ditchable weight is dangerous.

In the context of recreational diver, is it OK to have all non-ditchable weight you are saying?

6. BP/W (or back inflate BCs) push you face down on the surface.

They don't tend to push you face down on the surface??

Here are a few chestnuts:
3. Not using ditchable weight is dangerous..

There are of course situations where it is not. However, we should distinguish between things that are dangerous immediately and things that can be dangerous if things go a bit awry. We can all think of a number of situations where having ditchable weight for a recreational diver can be very important in an emergency situation.

Correct, but -- pushing the lead vs feathers past reasonable limits -- you're not talking the same mass now, you're talking more comfortable pillow. Dive EAN to the NDL and you're just as "unsafer" as diving air to NDL. Cut your air dives short and you're just as much "safer".
Exactly. So for the same depth and bottom time, nitrox is 'safer', understand that I think nothing about diving is safe, only that it can be done safely. Nitrox helps to make diving safer.

Hah!! The biggest lie of all. "Diving is safe, and anyone can do it".

Last edited:
In the context of recreational diver, is it OK to have all non-ditchable weight you are saying?
I do. When summertime recreational diving with steel backplate and cylinder, I have no ditchable weight. I don't find it unsafe. In the winter when diving with a wetsuit and 12 #, the weight is under my crotch strap, so it isn't easily ditchable.

Back
Top Bottom