Dangerous lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most dangerous lie I was ever told.....

"Sure.... go diving if you want to."

I was all -> :yeahbaby:

It was a sunny Saturday morning, and I though I had heard the sweet sound of a loving wife saying what she actually meant......

Those were the days before I was fluent in "lady-speak".

An ancient dialect I believe should be taught in public schools.

I have never felt more in danger than when I returned home and saw :rant::letsparty: ..... then i was all ->:fear:...... That was the MOST dangerous lie!

If in that context you hear the word "fine", and you therefore believe things *are* fine--
you have just made a dangerous assumption..

Absolutely false. Did you even take the Nitrox course?

I searched, and it appears you're correct. I was thinking nitrogen narcosis, but it seems oxygen is narcotic as well. My bad.

Yeah, I did take the course.

In 2002 ;-)

Last edited:
Um.....yes. Less nitrogen, possibly (?) less nitrogen narcosis. So I thought anyway. Maybe I listened imperfectly.

Apparently you did. Page 49 of the TDI Understanding Nitrox course manual: "with nitrox, any reduction in nitrogen related narcosis will likely be offset by an increase in oxygen related narcosis"

What you say "the first thing they (panicked diver) do is get rid of the mask (by shoving it up on their forehead) may be true. That does not mean that every diver that has pushed their mask to their forehead is panicked. Your logic is faulty. I do it all the time and I have never been panicked. This is a dangerous assumprtion.
I did not draw the conclusion that every diver with a mask on the forehead is panicked, you did that. I made the assumption that every diver who is panicked removes their mask, often by placing it on their forehead. I could further refine it by saying that distressed divers remove their mask. And sometimes happy divers remove their mask. In my experience as someone who has seen thousands and thousands of divers in the water, some of whom were distressed, a diver with a mask on his forehead deserves further questioning.

Sure, it irritates you to be questioned. Imagine how it would irritate the widow if I didn't question the guy with his mask on his forehead and just let him drown. I'd rather irritate you a million times than her once.

Apparently you did. Page 49 of the TDI Understanding Nitrox course manual: "with nitrox, any reduction in nitrogen related narcosis will likely be offset by an increase in oxygen related narcosis"

You beat me to my retraction and edit. Point taken, and worth taking.

You beat me to my retraction and edit. Point taken, and worth taking.

But wait:
New oxygen narcosis study (May 2017)

None of the commenters seem to like the science or the procedure, but maybe Nitrox does, sorta maybe, reduce narcosis after all? Or, it needs to be studied better, and with a larger group" Or, maybe it doesn't?? I'm willing to be wrong on this. Is there a cash prize if I turn out to be accidentally right?

This reminds me of "eating cholesterol is bad" "no, it isn't"--"butter is worse than margarine"--"no it isn't"--"carbs are good"--"no, thery're not".

But wait:
New oxygen narcosis study (May 2017)

None of the commenters seem to like the science or the procedure, but maybe Nitrox does, sorta maybe, reduce narcosis after all? Or, it needs to be studied better, and with a larger group" Or, maybe it doesn't?? I'm willing to be wrong on this. Is there a cash prize if I turn out to be accidentally right?

This reminds me of "eating cholesterol is bad" "no, it isn't"--"butter is worse than margarine"--"no it isn't"--"carbs are good"--"no, thery're not".
As I said in my post, there is no reliable evidence, only theory, and the theory suggests no benefit. The study is very much flawed and unreliable. It is similar to the studies people trot out that say that nitrox provides no benefit as far as being tired, feeling better, etc. They were similarly flawed and thus unreliable.

In teaching my kids to get comfortable using snorkel gear, the whole throw the mask up OF and spit out the snorkel was certainly common when "panicked". I would imagine, based on others' posts and their experiences, that this could be one of those "pet peeve" things and individual preference. I take a moderate approach to how I feel about it, and remain calm and happy. I was taught that MOF is NOT against the "rules" but is NOT a best practice either, because you can lose your mask in the swells/surf and others MAY perceive it as a sign of distress so I should be cognizant of that...this made sense to me so I incorporated it into my belief system and practice. I have no memory of someone bailing off the dive boat to assist a diver who had their mask up. I have seen some students "lose it" and their mask did not stop at their forehead, nor was there any question as to their level of distress, but this is only my experience. I choose to keep my mask on my face and either my reg or my snorkel in my mouth (depending on conditions) until I am on the boat. If asked, this is what I advise, as well. Just makes sense...to me, anyhow...

Dangerous Lies?

Manufacturers and many LDS's:
Get your equipment serviced annually or it will fail...
Lifetime warranty

Dangerous to your wallet, anyhow....

Heard my son say, "You never have to clear a dry snorkel"....and, "It's fun to ride stingrays!" but he also landed a Goliath Grouper on a Scooby Doo fishing pole, so I'm inclined to believe him.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom