DCS incident after wreckdive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you are better, thanks for sharing your experience. Would you mind posting the dive profile from your Shearwater?
diveprofile.jpg

Ouch. Glad you found treatment and it was successful.

If I speculate a little trying to guess something to make the hit "deserved":
Any unusual stresses before the dive?
Change in diet?
Gas mixes analysis confirmed?
Gas switches ok?
History of injury?
Repetitive dive profiles matched your team? Residual tissue loading?
Unusual temperature change during deco?
Extraordinary exertion?

That's all my guesses from my armchair. Does anything make sense of the reason for the hit? Having worked in a chamber as a diver the "unreserved" hits are disturbing. I don't like feeling we roll the dice every dive.

Happy diving!
Cameron
I will follow you on this one, making the hit deserved means I can learn what to change and how to prevent a 2nd event.

This dive was the 2nd dive after a surface interval of 4 hours and 18 minutes. Dive 1:
diveprofile1.jpg

Change in diet: no
Gas mixes ok: yes, every tank analyzed and checked by all divers: 6 eyes on every tank.
Gas switches ok: could be better. I gave 1 diver a Petrel which he wore next to his VR3, told him to come down during the 21m stop and the 18m stop.
History of injury: none
Repetitive dive profiles matched your team? Residual tissue loading? - same dives, same divers. Only difference is that I dive 40/75 and they dive 40/80.
Temperature change during deco: Bottom 13 degrees Celsius, 21m: 15 degrees, 6m: 17 degrees
Extraordinary exertion: good one! At 30m, after I deployed my smb, I pulled the inflator hose free from under the hoses from the diver with the Petrel. I used some force with my left arm. And now I'm wondering if this was the not-so-smart thing to do......

There is nothing spectacular about the profile that you got bent on and 4+ hours SI is reasonable. For me personally, that profile would not be my second deco dive of the day. Glad to hear your symptoms resolved.

When discussing whether or not I've ever been bent, I always say that I've never been bent out of the water

I have never been diagnosed with the bends either.

Bob

What I was trying get across was not that I've never been diagnosed with the bends, but that I've never gotten out of the water bent. I think I would gotten out of the water bent on a few occasions, had I not gone back down to my previous stop and hung out for an additional 5-10 minutes.

Wasn't sure what you were implying (if anything!) but wanted to clarify what I meant!

I have never been diagnosed with the bends either.

Bob

Two 200 foot dives in one day could be a culprit. Although I know people that have pulled 3.

Did you do any deep dives in the prior days? It seems like you have a conservative profile and a helium hit is not out of the question but unlikely. If you were doing multiple dives that week it could be a build up of nitrogen.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

It was discussed after the chamber rides. The location of the bubble in my shoulder was non-indicative for a PFO according to the staff.

Maybe interesting on how the location was determined: the doctor started moving my arm in all possible directions. One movement was painful: arm horizontally forward, elbow bent, lower arm vertical. Then rotate the elbow to the side. That movement caused a stinging pain in my shoulder. The staff immediately recognized that and it seems to be a common place for a bubble to get stuck. They knew what table would be successful based on this diagnosis.
Did you do any deep dives in the prior days? It seems like you have a conservative profile and a helium hit is not out of the question but unlikely. If you were doing multiple dives that week it could be a build up of nitrogen.
Dive profile of Sunday, 29th of April, wreckdive:
diveprofile sunday.jpg

Dive profile of Saturday, 28th of April, cavedive:
diveprofile saturday.jpg

Previous dives were from the weekend before.

Wasn't sure what you were implying (if anything!) but wanted to clarify what I meant!

Humor that missed the mark. Without a medical diagnosis, no matter how accurate you are, it is a personal opinion. BTDT

Bob

Out of curiosity, was DAN insurance used for the chamber, etc?

Back
Top Bottom