Death in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I see speculation still reigns supreme. Even those who were on the boat don't know the facts. I was on the dive & was Brett's dive buddy. Since the names are already posted, I won't try to protect anyone's anonymity. Don was taking two students for a deep dive cert. Brett & I were going along - Brett for recreational purposes, me just in case. As we've done before on the Monterey Express, we went out to the mile marker, jumped in, and the boat circled around while we did the dive.

We descended together, stayed together on the way down and stood on the bottom at 130 ft. Don checked everyone with the OK signal and 3 minutes into the dive, signaled the ascent. I started up, looked around and saw Brett unable to get off the bottom with Don trying to help. I swam over and grabbed Brett's BC and started swimming up with him & Don. Brett was struggling & breathing fast, but we got him off the botom & started up. Both Don and I tried to calm him but it didn't seem to do any good. The two students were ascending with us at this time. At about 80 ft. Brett waved his arm at me a couple of times. I assumed he was waving me off, so since Don was staying with him, they were going up and I could tell Brett was still breathing, I let go to look after Don's students.

I had forgotten I had my BC fully inflated to help drag Brett up, and the next thing I knew, I was zooming up. I flared & started dumping but couldn't stop the ascent. I was the one that popped out of the water (80 ft. in 20 seconds per my computer). I immediately started clawing my way back down and found the two students and did a deco stop with them. I think the only reasons I wasn't another casualty were that we hadn't been down long enough for much nitrogen buildup and I remembered to keep breathing during my runaway ascent. As we surfaced, we heard the people on the boat calling us in and we beat feet to the boat. I knew Brett had to be in trouble.

As I got on board, the boat took off for shore. I saw Brett on he deck with Don giving oxygen, another diver doing CPR and two others around Brett (one was crew). I have not heard any good words about the crew response, in fact just the opposite, but in all honesty, by the time I got there Brett was being administered to and I wasn't concerned about who was doing it. Unfortunately, Brett never responded.

What happened? We're not sure yet. The coroner's report won't be issued for 6-8 weeks. That should tell us how he died - drowning (of course), heart attack, some other physical cause, etc. Don told me that he thinks Brett quit breathing around 50 ft. When he got to the surface, he asked Brett if he was OK and Brett just rolled face down. Don rolled him over & saw foam in his mask and pulled his regulator ou of his mouth and more foam came out. He waved & yelled for the boat, yelling that Brett had inhaled water. He towed Brett to the boat, helped get him on, climbed out himself, shed his gear and started assisting with CPR.

How did Brett get into that situation? Again, no definitive answer, but we have some clues. Afterwards, I found out that he had been nervous and apprehensive about the dive all week. Brett was a trained Rescue diver (we did the course together) and a master scuba diver. He either forgot or ignored his training and did the dive anyway in spite of his misgivings. I know he had been that deep before, but that was in Hawaii - the conditions nowhere near as harsh as Monterey. He told another friend that he had 36 pounds of weight (he was wearing a dry suit). Combine that with the steel tanks used on the Express, and he was probably way overweight (he only weighed approx. 160 lbs.). I don't know for sure how much weight he was carrying because the Coroner sill has his gear. What I do know is that when I was trying to get him off the bottom he seemed extremely heavy (thus the reason for my fully inflated BC). Don told me he tried to dump Brett's weights but couldn't get them to release. And the worst thing that happened, is I think Brett panicked. Out of concern for his widow (also my friend), I won't specify here the details that lead me to that conclusion, but that is my opinion. We're taught to stop, think, then act. At 130 ft, in cold water with 5-6 feet of viz, when you can't get off the bottom, that training can easily take a back seat to primal urges. The sad thing here is that we had plenty of air and we couldn't go any deeper, so if he could have stayed calm, we would have figured a way to release his weights and do a normal ascent with him. Of couse, that's an easy thing to say in hindsight and with me not being the one with the problem.

The bottom line is that we need to wait on the Coroner's report for the critical information we need. Its possible that the stress of the dive caused a heart attack or stroke on the bottom and that's why he was struggling so hard to get up - he could have been in great pain. All I really know at this point is that I lost a friend that I looked on as a little brother.

I'm heading down to L.A. tomorrow for his funeral, so unless I can catch some wifi, I'll be out of touch with the internet until Monday.

Tom Pearce

Thanks, Tom. That has to be very traumatic for you.

It sounds like he wasn't wearing a weight belt, something that I continue to do despite my BCD having integrated ditchable weights as I want at half my weight to be ditchable by even an OW diver.

Thanks for the details Tom....I'm sure it was difficult for you to write all of that considering what just happened. Although tragic about what happend to Brett, I'm glad that you are okay considering how fast you ascended. It is such a reality check about what can happen in the sport we love so much. My thoughts and prayers are also with his family, I hope they will pull through this okay.

Thanks again Tom for taking the time to share the story....

Tom,

I am really sorry you lost a friend, thank you for writing and sharing. I am also glad that everything worked out ok for you after your quick ascent.
Our prayers will be with you and Brett's family.

Thanks Tom to help us understand what happened.

I was in the same kind of situation than yours some years ago, trying to save a diver and finally almost about to have an accident ascending from a 160ft dive with deco. Fortunately my story ended okay (not well - we had 4 divers sent to a local chamber for preventive decompression treatment [:(] ) but I can't help thinking about it from time to time.

You and Don will probably question yourselves about your part in this story. For me, it looks that all the guys (both of you, divers, crew,...) involved in trying to save Brett have done the right job at the right moment. In a sense, it's good to remember buddies, crews will do their best to care for us in case of problem while underwater.

But it's terrible to realize sometimes even your best help is not enough because you're facing a no-win scenario far away from the theory of instruction books or safety exercices. When **** starts to happen underwater, it can propagate quickly in desperate situation and sometimes even if you act perfectly, whatever you do, the loss of a friend and/or buddy will occur. I know how terrible this is to face this kind of situation. All we really can do, after the unfortunate facts, is to work to prevent this kind of accident to happen again to ourselves and to other divers.

Thanks again Tom. I hope your words will help preventing this kind of accident to happen again. My thoughts will be with you, Don, the involved people and Brett's family and friends.

im so sorry to hear about this..
my prayers and thoughts are with the family..

tpearce:
Brett was struggling & breathing fast, but we got him off the botom & started up. Both Don and I tried to calm him but it didn't seem to do any good.

What happened? We're not sure yet. The coroner's report won't be issued for 6-8 weeks. That should tell us how he died - drowning (of course), heart attack, some other physical cause, etc.

And the worst thing that happened, is I think Brett panicked.

The bottom line is that we need to wait on the Coroner's report for the critical information we need. Its possible that the stress of the dive caused a heart attack or stroke on the bottom and that's why he was struggling so hard to get up - he could have been in great pain.

Tom Pearce

Tom,

I'm sorry to hear about the accident and sad to hear about the loss of a fellow diver.

While I doubt we'll ever know for certain, I do offer an alternative possibility, has anyone considered an accumulation of C02? Based upon your report, I believe there is an overwhelming possibility for a C02 buildup. Overweighted, breathing air at 130' and the description of events certainly sounds like C02 toxicity to me. I dount strongly that there was a stress induced heart attack inasmuch as it seems much more likely that with the added C02, and the resulting level of associated narcosis, this seems like a much more plausible scenario. C02 is up to 130 times more narcotic then N2, and when you consider the gas density of air at 130', coupled with the overweighting, it's pretty easy to conclude that the excessive C02 accumulation was contributory.

Sorry to hear that this happened..

Regards,

Thank you, Tom for a clear reporting of what befell our brother diver. Warm thoughts from here to you and to Brett's family.

Thanks, Tom.

In this litigious world, it's often difficult to access
first-hand information. Even what's in the instructor's
report to PADI/NAUI/TDI/orWhatever, which WILL be
subpoenaed in the event of litigation, is never available.
Since it WILL be subpoenaed, why withhold it?

Again, thanks, Tom.

Back
Top Bottom