Death in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While reading today's Sacramento Bee, I noticed the article about Brett. My worse fears were realized when I learned this was the Brett I've come to know and visited with many times at the Elk Grove Sports Chalet and at the beach when he was assisting with Don's class. Brett signed me up for my first dive class, over a year ago, with Don. He was a standup guy, lent me stuff that I hadn't purchased yet, and always loved to chat about our hobby. I meant his wife and son a few months ago while at the beach in another one of Don's classes. Tom was there with his RV and we had a great time. Brett, helped me with several things that weekend and got me so interested in dry suits that I took a dry suit class the next month.

I am so saddened by this news. He was a great guy, and I wish I had got to know him better. My deepest sympathy and condolences to his family.

Robert

First I'm sorry, the loss of a loved one has to be ranked among the most difficult things a human has to bear. I would have to agree wholeheartedly with MHK's synopsis/theory based on experience and what I've come to understand. If Brett was overworked, panicked, squeezed, overweighted, anxious - that is quite a cocktail. For these things to combine and become toxic doesn't even take 7 minutes.

Oh yeah. I guess I was thinking shallow water blackout (which also happens in deep water) - which hyperventilation surely can cause.

I am so sorry to hear this. I'll be thinking of all y'all this week.

likelite:
Oh yeah. I guess I was thinking shallow water blackout (which also happens in deep water) - which hyperventilation surely can cause.

I am so sorry to hear this. I'll be thinking of all y'all this week.
I thought shallow water blackout was a freediver thing.

Body requires, a PPO2 of, say, .12, to function. Freediver goes deep, consumes half
the O2 in their lungs, so the FO2 is , .105, but freediver is at > 33 feet, so > 2 atm and
PO2 > .21. Body is happy. Freediver ascents, PPO2 goes down with ascent, more O2
is consumed, and somewhere a bit below the surface, PPO2 < .12, and freediver blacks
out.

Hey everyone, I'm Brett's brother. The family received the police report yesterday evening. I wont go into minute detail, nor post the report, but I'll fill in the missing info.

Tom account was a perfect overview of the incident. All other UW eye witness accounts are essentially identical.

What I find to be pertinent:

1358 - MFD dispatched to scene
1409 - Westmed Paramedics arrive on scene, take over for MFD
1447 - Pronounced dead at CHOMP

CAUSE of death: CARDIAC ARREST

Brett was an active guy . He completed a 50 mile bike ride in Mexico a little over two years ago. He was OW certified in Hawaii in 1989 when he went for his H.S. graduation trip.

Our family has a history of heart problems. Although there were never any signs of heart trouble with Brett, our father had his first heart attack at about the same age, maybe a few years older. His latest heart attack was roughly 10 years ago at which time he was given a quintuple bypass - which didnt take - and subsequently a heart transplant. Despite other health issues over the next couple years after the transplant, our father is doing well. I'm also very sure he never dreamed he would lose his first born to a heart attack before he himself went.

As the others have said, he was a really great guy. He was working his way towards Instructor certification and although he had a great full time job as an executive at a large Health Insurance company, his joy in life came both from his wife and step-son as well as spending time helping others, both in and out of the water. My one dive with him was in Monterey and we spent it helping out the classes from Sport Chalet. To exemplify the impact he has had on others, I got a call last night at 3:00am from a girl he dated 11 years ago who he hasnt talked to in 4 years and she hasnt slept in the past week after finding out about his passing. He will truly be missed by everyone who met him.

I apologize for going on, but I feel this last part is very important. As you know, Brett left behind an incredible wife, a wonderful step-son, and most unfortunate, his yet unborn child. We dont know if it's a boy or girl, but according to the sonigram Sunday, Jan 29, he/she is moving around and the vitals are perfect. Amazing considering what Megan had just been put through. As fellow diver's I ask for your help; a foundation has been set up for the child to assist Megan financially with the birth and necessities after the birth. Any small amount you can donate will be greatly appreciated and I honestly mean that. Just a single dollar here and there will help out - please dont NOT give just because you cant afford more. The smallest amount will mean alot.

Send donations to:

Checks should be made payable to Megan Ramage. Acct # is 623244.

Send to:

American River Health Pro (ARHCU)
PO Box 41409
Sacramento, Ca 95841-0409

Soon after posting this, I recieved both a PM and an email suggesting I add a paypal account for ease of donations. Please be assured that Megan will receive all funds donated in this way also.

Paypal to gagefx@yahoo.com
This is my VERIFIED Paypal account.

Thank you all for thinking of him and his family and friends in this time.

Take care, and safe diving.

Brian Ramage

Brett and Tom in Monterey (Tom's inverted)
large.jpg

Brian Ramage:
My one dive with him was in Monterey and we spent it helping out the classes from Sport Chalet.

As you know, Brett left behind ... his yet unborn child. We dont know if it's a boy or girl

Brian, I'm sorry your first post to the board had to be in light of such family tragedy. I'm very sorry for your loss. My wish is that some day perhaps when circumstances are different, you'll be able to introduce your niece or nephew to the underwater world.

Brian Ramage:
Hey everyone, I'm Brett's brother. ... As fellow diver's I ask for your help; a foundation has been set up for the child to assist Megan financially with the birth and necessities after the birth. Any small amount you can donate will be greatly appreciated and I honestly mean that. Just a single dollar here and there will help out - please dont NOT give just because you cant afford more. The smallest amount will mean alot.

Paypal to gagefx@yahoo.com
This is my VERIFIED Paypal account.
Thank you Brian for posting the info. I hope that you get a good response from scubaboarders. I am so sorry for your loss and will pray for your family.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom