Deaths at Eagles Nest - Homosassa FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people went as far as saying the particular dive amounted to a "felony" under U.S. law.

You missed a few posts, then. Some people opined that, since the kid was a minor, that the dad taking him untrained into a cave was "endangering a minor", which is a felony in the State of Florida (and many other States, as well).

A Happy New Year to you, as well!

Of course they ran out of air ... that's pretty much how people die in caves.

"End the dive with 500 psi" isn't an air management strategy that works in a cave. One of reasons you take the training is to learn the differences between recreational and overhead risk mitigation ... and to learn strategies that do work ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I forgot, no one dies in a cave of an embolism, heart attack, etc. ... They always die from running out of air. The observation they ran out of air was from a person close to the scene.

Reactions: Jax
Well, Robert Brooks has stated in the media that he knew Spivey was cave diving without proper training or certification. He also seemed to know he was diving EN, based on his comments. He also knew that he was diving with his uncertified son SOMEWHERE. He has not stated that he also knew he was taking his son cave diving... but it defies credulity to think that Brooks wasn't aware that Spivey was taking his son cave diving.

Again, here are all the quotes I have read from recovery diver Robert Brooks...

"He approached me to be his mentor, and I told him I couldn't take him caving until he got his cave card."

"He said he loaned Spivey some equipment and urged him to take a course to get certified, but he kept putting it off."

"The sad thing is, I told him, 'One night they're going to call me to come get [your body]'"

If you have additional information or quotes then please do share so we can clear this up. Otherwise, I don't see anything in these quotes that implies that Brooks knew the kid was involved in diving in any way. In all three quotes he tells the father to get proper training. It seems to me that you are continuously tarnishing another person's reputation and implying he is somehow responsible for these deaths without providing any facts to back that up.

Everything else you said about the freinds and family I completely agree with. I personally find it appauling that the family and non-diving freinds allowed the kid to go cave diving with his father. Especially when his father had such a long history of being reckless and destroying lives. Unfortunately, the family and freinds are probably very naive about the dangers of cave diving without training and it seems some common sense was lacking.

... What do you think about a LEO encountering this pair returning from a dive and having the right to impound the child's dive gear. The activity is not the problem it was way that the activity was carried out that caused the death, the father had the right to do this but the child did not and certainly the father did not have the right to encourage or enable the son. With out getting testy what does the community think about that position.

I think that position makes a ton of sense. However, I would think that someone that understands the extreme danger of these dives (relative to shallow reef diving) would have had to witness this in order to get law enforcement involved. In addition, that person would have to make the LEO, social worker, etc. understand why this is child endangerment and not just a father taking his son diving.

So, tell me why a "license" system as already in place elsewhere to protect caves and cave divers (i.e. a simple web based system which can be largely automated and is cheap, but effective) is something which "Cave Organizations" can't put in place to [further] protect caves and [further] reduce risk/fatalities (in addition to putting up the warning signs which, provocatively I think, a CNN journalist said "not every single diver reads... so we have this tragedy...")?

A CNN journalist with zero knowledge of cave diving is hardly a reliable source to quote on the details of what happended here. It is impossible not to see these warning signs. Only an idiot would see a sign at the entrance of an underwater cave, with a picture of the grim reaper on it, and the title "prevent your death" and swim on in without reading it. What the CNN journalist should have said was, "Not every single diver heeds the warning, so we have this tragedy."

It is purely a private sector expression/form of self-regulation/organization to responsibly increase cave diving safety and protect the caves and the environment (which will also protect the business which has developed around cave diving).

How is the private sector supposed to exert its rules on public land?

Somebody has put lines in the caves and is profiting from that same cave and built a business around it.
HIGHwing gave the "price list."

You turn a recreational activity into a money making business (with advertisements attracting customers), in addition to cleaning up the mess (IUCRR...), you need to show some compassion, self-restraint, and some form of effective self-regulation (i.e. "common sense").

I think it's clear that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of this dive site. There is no business controlling it or making money directly from it. It is on public land owned by the state of Florida. It is a wilderness reserve that streches for miles in all directions and it is mostly used by the public for hunting. The cave diving industry in Florida isn't tied to this one cave, or a few dozen caves. It is thousands of caves spread out over hundreds of miles. Nobody is getting rich in the Florida cave diving industry. Therefore, the private sector doesn't have the resources to police the thousands of caves in the state. The public sector's solution is generally limited to "open at you own risk" or "closed". There are rules and regulations imposed to various degrees at many of our dive sites both public and privately owned. Some of those regulations are much more strict and thorough than what you are suggesting. Even at those sites, people have found ways to dive beyond their abilities and deaths have occurred.

Out of curiosity, is the system you are suggesting so effective that there has never been a cave diving death in your country?

Last edited:
Some people went as far as saying this particular dive amounted to a "felony" under U.S. law.

While you could probably find an eager beaver CPS caseworker somewhere in Blue State America to make that argument, it would be wrong. Untrained lawyering isn't much more effective than untrained cave diving.

I forgot, no one dies in a cave of an embolism, heart attack, etc. ... They always die from running out of air. The observation they ran out of air was from a person close to the scene.

I haven't heard anyone suggest that either of these two died of an embolism or heart attack, although I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

I have read that they were found with empty cylinders, and that the father's long hose was deployed ... which would suggest the cause of death to be OOA.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why did they? What if? Why do things? If only? How come they? .....and the list of questions goes on.

Part of the human condition is a piece in all of us that says "it won't happen to me". Some of us have this stronger in us than others, but we all have it. There isn't a person in this thread that at some point and time hasn't taken a risk that could have easily cause the loss of their lives and others. Who's taken a drink then drove, or smoked a cigarette, or texted; made a phone call while driving, or drove 'well' over the speed limit and this list can go on as well.

The only difference between you and the Spiveys is that you lived and they didn't, but "it won't happen to me" exist just the same.

Life is a tough place and it doesn't forgive mistakes when the risk of life is involved. The Eagles Nest is even tougher. It does not suffer fools, the unprepared, the unexperienced, the unlucky. It does not forgive. It kills. Is the risk worth it. To some yes, to others no. Not my place to judge and to each their own. I will not be surprised thought when the next person passes at the Eagles Nest in the next few years and we see another 50+ page post play debating the same things.

Shut the Eagles Nest down...try to regulate it....HA....you will only move those who don't believe 'that it won't happen to them' to another spot where they will attempt to beat the odds. The Spiveys had to be perfect every time. The Eagles Nest only needed one mistake. No matter how good you are and or think you are it will eventually catch up to you because at some point and time the 'plan' will go wrong.

All of life is some form of a risk in one way or the other. But certain things should be left alone and untouched unless you are prepared in every way to handle what it will throw at you. Even then given a long enough time line, they will eventually win. You will die.

What is my take a way from this incident. "predictable tragic and sad". I don't care how many games the Spiveys were up on the Eagles Nest. Each game was a single elimination game.

Why did they? What if? Why do things? If only? How come they? .....and the list of questions goes on.

Part of the human condition is a piece in all of us that says "it won't happen to me".

Sorry, not buying it.

"I hope there isn't a cave in" is something where someone can say "it won't happen to me"

Taking 200 CuFt of gas on a dive that calls for 600 CuFt isn't a risk, it's suicide.

flots.

Sorry, not buying it.

"I hope there isn't a cave in" is something where someone can say "it won't happen to me"

Taking 200 CuFt of gas on a dive that calls for 600 CuFt isn't a risk, it's suicide.

flots.

You're assuming they intended to go that far in the first place. How about "I can go to 180' and not be so narced I wind up at 233' -- won't happen to me."

"Because I want to" in the case of the deceased in my book would not have been a "good reason" to do the dive which they did.

It would have been a "bad reason."

If someone has adequate training and insurance, and the cave is of no particular importance/significance (i.e. protected for some reason), then in most/many circumstances "because I want to" seems like a pretty good reason.

Some caves there is a waiting list of years to get into.

If such a generic reason as "because I want to" is acceptable for a trained diver, it seems to me that any reason would be acceptable.

What would be an acceptable reason for an untrained diver (such as the divers that are the focus of this discussion)?

If there are no acceptable reasons for untrained divers, and all reasons are acceptable for trained divers, what is the point of having to provide a reason?

... snip ...

The Eagles Nest only needed one mistake. No matter how good you are and or think you are it will eventually catch up to you because at some point and time the 'plan' will go wrong.

All of life is some form of a risk in one way or the other. But certain things should be left alone and untouched unless you are prepared in every way to handle what it will throw at you. Even then given a long enough time line, they will eventually win. You will die.

What is my take a way from this incident. "predictable tragic and sad". I don't care how many games the Spiveys were up on the Eagles Nest. Each game was a single elimination game.

My limited understanding of tech-dive training is that much of it is aimed at ways to recognize and then handle mistakes and when to call/turn the dive. For a simple example, gas management includes planning for all sorts of failures. Typically this includes plans supporting safe return to the surface if one team member suffers catastrophic-total gas loss. Proper dive planning includes calculating risk of ox-tox on the planned dive profile with correct gas switches - and methods to prevent incorrect switches such as: pre-dive testing, labeling, buddies checking gas selection before completing switches, regulator placement and presumably others.

Certainly even in Eagles Nest one can get away with one mistake much of the time. This paid obviously did - as they had previously dove to depths way beyond their safe capabilities.

Feel free to ignore my rambling as I am not a cave diver - and have decided that while it looks like fun, I don't want to enough to spend the time and money (training/equipment/practice) to do it in a manner meeting my personal safety requirements. Yes I've pushed the envelope enough to be surprised that I survived childhood or my thirties. That does not change that their diving style created a "when" rather than an "if" they die situation.

For those arguing "common sense" - it is the minimum sensible approach adopted and recommended by the consensus of competent/experienced cave divers. Anyone who has spent a day reading scubaboard should know enough to know that the deceased were not following common-sense. They wanted to dive - they were allowed to dive - their nanny Darwin caught them. Yes we do live in a nanny state...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom