Deep outdoors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakims wrote: this is about diving, not a mercedes symbol around your neck
I couldn't agree more. I'm a diver on a budget. That's why I like to get the most bang for the few bucks I can spend on diving.

:thumb:

Yeah, the integrated STA is nice because it moves the tank even closer to your center of gravity, but some folks don't like it as they feel an 'external' STA provides for a more stable tank. With practice, however, I believe that you'll find the integrated STA works just as well.

The other reason that I feel the Pioneer wing is better than other singles bladder is because the bladder is continuous and not of the 'horse-shoe' variety - this prevents trapping of air and I'm not sure why other manufacturers don't follow this design. Maybe its not such a big deal. The Pioneer wing is also fairly streamlined, I have the 36# and it works really well IMO.

HTH

scubaredneck once bubbled...
That's why I like to get the most bang for the few bucks I can spend on diving.

One thing that I have learned is that going cheap initially to save money may end up costing you much more in the end. Of course, if you can't afford it - you can't - but if you can, buy the best gear you can afford so you don't go out and (re)purchase another set of gear later because you're not satisfied with the 'value' set of gear you initially purchased.

Just a suggestion.

A while back i remember reading about a problem with a DO weight pocket. I searched for it but did not ind it. Now that I have a Matrix BC i need to know which poskets to avoid.

Hey cstreu1026,

You want to avoid the weight release pockets with the releases which face the bottom. Get the ones that pull out from the front like the rest of the "conventional" releases on other weight integrated BC's.

To be quite honest with you, and knowing that DeepOutdoors seems to manufacture a really good product, I am buffled that they would even put that option out. Too many things could go wrong with the releases facing downward.

Hope this helps

Scubakid

I fooled around with the DO weight pockets one day at the LDS just for kicks. The "front facing" weights were nearly impossible to ditch. It took two hands to operate, and even then I had to fumble around with unstrapping a velcro strip. Not the sort of thing I'd want to do in an emergency situation while wearing gloves. The "bottom facing" weights were easier to operate. I'm not certain whether I liked either arrangement. Interestingly, the LDS said that they had returned all but the floor model "front facing" pocket to DO in favor of the "bottom facing" pockets.

Also keep in mind that the "front facing" weight pockets will turn into "bottom facing" pockets when you're swimming horizontally.

RE: Do Weight Pockets

Hey AzAtty,

You did bring up a very good point of where the pockets would face, when finning horizontally.

However all that I can remember is that while I was taking my Advanced Diver Course, a few of the divers, when in a panic situation and in your vicinity seemed to want to grab the weight handles to have something to grab onto. IMOO I just feel that it would not be as safe with the pockets facing towards your feet, or fins for that matter.

Agree with you with the pockets being difficult too pull out. I have heard this from a few people myself. Hopefully as the velcro gets "used" thru wear and tear it shoud become easier.

Scubakik

I have the DO 'forward-facing' pockets, and I remember that they were almost impossible to remove one-handed whan I first tried them. But after they have been really soaked and the velcro has been used a bit, they are much easier to pull out with one quick, solid tug.

Cheers!

Has anyone ever used the Deep Outdoors BP and Wing and What do they think about the products.

...just came from Beneath The Sea show and I spoke to the owners, very nice guys. I will be ordering my set up on tuesday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom