Defog--what works best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

500 PSI, hands down the best defog out there

Sea Drops comes in at a close 2nd

Spit and everything else is a distant 3rd

I just completed my certification yesterday, but I have used 500 PSI every time I've been in the water with no fog (when I used it properly!). Good stuff, and tasty too!

When I first started diving I took a trip to Cozumel with my new mask. The divemaster took my mask and held a lighter under the lenses to burn off the film.

Since that time I always spit in my mask and it stays clear without any problems. I like the convenience and cost. And the look on my son's face when I spit in his mask during his OW class was classic. :D

I’m another spitter, just spit in the mask and rub it that works fine for me, I have tried other de-fog applications, but have come to the conclusion spit is the best. Remember to clean your mask with a toothbrush after about 5 to 10 dives to remove films which inevitably will built-up.

Spit is all you will ever need.

The only reason spit doesn't work sometimes is when it is used on a mask that hasn't been cleaned properly when new.

Some masks are relatively clean from new, others require proper preparation. From my experience Oceanic and Tusa masks require only minimal cleaning, masks at the cheaper end of the market tend to require more. That's not to say cheap masks are bad. A cheap mask that fits is worth its weight in gold, an expensive mask that leaks is worth its weight in saliva. A mask-sealing solution that you put on the skirt of the mask is just another means to part you with money; perhaps to enable the LDS to sell you a high-end mask that doesn't fit and some sealant rather than a mask that's cheap and fits properly. The strap has no role in ensuring a proper seal, if you have to have a really tight strap to avoid leaks then your mask doesn't fit and you should get one that does.

You can prepare a mask for use by:

Cleaning throroughly with cheap white toothpaste (white rather than gel because the white has more abrasives). Don't forget to clean both lens and skirt. Remember you're also trying to remove the release agent used during the process of moulding the skirt. If you don't get that off the skirt too it'll just transfer to the lens again.

Running flame over the lens on the inside e.g. a lighter flame. This works but, since you can't use it on the skirt you won't get rid of the release agent.

Put the whole mask in with the dishes in your dishwasher for a cycle.

After that, spit will work fine. Saliva is all you need, you don't need to grunt up mucus from the depths. Eventually you will develop a Pavlov's reaction and start to salivate at the sight (or even the thought) of a mask. One tip though: never eat a Snickers just prior to your dive otherwise it will be significantly more chocolatey and nutty than you might have preferred.

I use my tongue. Yeppers, I lick my mask clean each and every dive. I feel every perfection and piece of dirt. Also, spit never hurts my eyes.

Have you ever tried that before ice diving? :wink:

Sudden thought: What do people do before ice diving to prevent fogging?
:idk:

I prefer Sea Drops, but I left it to a friend when I was in Brasil this year, and when I went out to buy a new bottle, they only had Sea Gold, and I dont like it that much... but it does the job..

One tip though: never eat a Snickers just prior to your dive otherwise it will be significantly more chocolatey and nutty than you might have preferred.
Hmm, this could be a thread in and of it self titled "Things Not To Eat Before Spitting In Your Mask".

Have you ever tried that before ice diving? :wink:

Sudden thought: What do people do before ice diving to prevent fogging? :idk:

sea drops in-rubbed around good
a little water in once i'm in to rinse
key is"once i'm in"

c'mon up and give it a go!!!!!!
lots more fun than the warm water there!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom