Did I get hosed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

survivorboy:
Nope, console and octo were extra.

At first he told me they were optional and mostly for advanced divers!

That's entirely true. If "ADVANCED" means advanced from the shallow end of the pool.

If he teaches buddy breathing and doesn't use an octo for teaching, I'd find another diveshop. I don't know of a dive shop anywhere that doesn't require the use of a safe 2nd during training. Plus, I doubt that you would be allowed to use your gear on many charter boats without a safe 2nd. I don't know this for sure, but then I've never seen anyone try to use a reg without a safe 2nd.

As far as the prices, since I'm not sure of the conversion rate, they might be in-line, but if that's the full retail, then he should have at least offerd some sort of package price. Even full price shops will give something off for a large purchase like yours, and usually have packages set up for display with a displayed package price.

Hey SurvivorBoy.

I live in Toronto and have the exact same gear that you bought. The price of the Bare wetsuit and the Blizzard reg are pretty close...the Avid seems high at least a $100.

Obviously leisurepro.com would beat these prices by a lot more. Gear in Ontario is expensive generally.

Cheers.

-J.-

The prices do seem high, but it doesn't look like you had much choice, either.

One day I went into my LDS to get a wetsuit. They didn't have what I wanted, so I bought a BC, regulator, SPG and octo (they're not optional around here), plus some miscellaneous stuff. Shiny new gear is VERY hard to resist.

jpcpat:
The prices do seem high, but it doesn't look like you had much choice, either.

One day I went into my LDS to get a wetsuit. They didn't have what I wanted, so I bought a BC, regulator, SPG and octo (they're not optional around here), plus some miscellaneous stuff. Shiny new gear is VERY hard to resist.

I need to open some sort of retail establishment near you!

The prices don't bother me as much as the comment. Keep in mind that prices will be higher with no competition near the shop. Store owners have to reduce their profit margin when there are shops on every corner sometimes selling the same gear. However, their volume of sales is higher so it makes up the difference. Bottom line,...Competition is good for the consumer!

Good luck in your training.

Steve

If the dive shop owner thinks like that ( Octo and SPG are optional ) then what else does he think is optional? Maybe testing the air and servicing his compressor, inspecting for cracks on a VIP, replacing the high pressure seat on an annual.

I have a similar question... Bought fins from my LDS for my Basic OW class I'm taking currently. I ended up buyer nicer fins based on recommendations of both the salesperson and another customer who was in the shop, both of whom use the model I chose for their diving.

However, going to the manufacturer's website, I see the sticker price the LDS had on the fins is 21% higher than the MSRP for the fins. I got a 15% student discount because of the class, but still, is it normal to see items above MSRP?

MSRP is just that: Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price.

The individual shops can sell it for as much or as little as they want. You as the consumer don't have to buy it from them if its too high. Just need to do some research first.

Fordan:
is it normal to see items above MSRP?

No. They screwed you over, pure and simple. Makes you wonder about the authenticity of the "customer" who echoes the shopowner's suggestion.

Seriously though. Are bad dive shops ever more determined to squeeze the last dime out of new divers, since they figure they'll switch to the 'net if they really get into the sport?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom