Did I just hear ABC news correctly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
ABC reported that a teen was rescued after 49 days at sea after his fishing hut had been broken from its mooring in Indonesia. They said he survived by (of other things) filtering sea water through his shirt. I'm not sure this is possible. Thoughts? My thoughts are that news folks are just lazy or stupid.

I read that as well and there's been discussion on the bluewater cruising forums.

I believe his comments were misunderstood or mistranslated. I would guess that his clothes were wet from rain or dew, not from spray.

I read that as well and there's been discussion on the bluewater cruising forums.

I believe his comments were misunderstood or mistranslated. I would guess that his clothes were wet from rain or dew, not from spray.

THAT would make a lot more sense. It's too bad ABC news folks can't practice critical thinking.

No, you cannot filter salt out of water through a shirt. It would be just as salty coming out the other side and drinking it would dehydrate you.

No, you cannot filter salt out of water through a shirt. It would be just as salty coming out the other side and drinking it would dehydrate you.
Yep, saltwater is a solution and clothing won't filter salt (the solute) out. I'm guessing rain saved him.

Multiple accounts say he filtered seawater through his shirt. Us edumacated folks know that can't be right. But maybe he supplemented what fresh water he had with seawater? He was weak and delirious when rescued, and that's what drinking seawater will do to ya, so I'm OK with he filtered seawater through his shirt.

No, it is one mis-translated article that was put out on the wire. Where every news company picked it up, did a copy/paste. Maybe move a few words around to fit the space they needed to fill.

Back
Top Bottom