Difference between Intro to Tec and Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume by "Trimix" you mean hypoxic trimix. Two deco bottles aren't required for moderate normoxic dives.

I assume by "Trimix" you mean hypoxic trimix. Two deco bottles aren't required for moderate normoxic dives.

Really? I thought TDI course structure was something like:

Single bottle (Decompression Procedures)
Basic Trimix (Two bottles)
Advanced Trimix (Multiple bottles on a leash)

If you can do a Trimix course with one bottle, then where exactly would TDI introduce the second bottle?

I think this is a difference between course standards and real-world usage.

It is my understanding that TDI Trimix (which is normoxic) standards require teaching the use of 2 deco cylinders. But, that doesn't mean you'd normally use 2 in the real world, for a normoxic trimix dive.

Also, for the record, TDI AN/DP standards only require teaching 1 deco cylinder, but it is my understanding that TDI standards allow the instructor to teach use of 2 deco cylinders in AN/DP, if the instructor wants to.

However, I think just teaching 1 during AN/DP and 2 during Trimix seems like a good way to do it.

I did my normoxic class with an IANTD instructor and only used one bottle.

Yeah, I think IANTD has a different structure to their training starting from recreational and going all the way up to the highest level of hypoxic. TDI kind of only has 3 levels - AN/DP, Trimix, and Adv Trimix. I think IANTD breaks it down more than that.

If Tech 1 teaches you to manage a single bottle only then what kind of mix up can happen? Either you are switching to it or you are not switching to it.

Stuff happens.

I have a good friend that is a highly experienced cave and trimix instructor. He was doing a cave dive at Manatee Springs with just doubles and a deco bottle, no stage bottles. He allowed himself to get distracted when he picked up his deco bottle, didn't pay attention to the depth, and accidentally switched to oxygen at 45'.

I know another guy that went into the water breathing pure oxygen with a plan to switch at 20' to bottom gas (32% nitrox) before continuing down to 100'. He forgot to switch to his back gas, stayed on oxygen, and toxed/convulsed at 90'.

The list goes on -- I can talk at length about the people I know that jumped into the water with valves off.

Stuff happens.

I have a good friend that is a highly experienced cave and trimix instructor. He was doing a cave dive at Manatee Springs with just doubles and a deco bottle, no stage bottles. He allowed himself to get distracted when he picked up his deco bottle, didn't pay attention to the depth, and accidentally switched to oxygen at 45'.

I know another guy that went into the water breathing pure oxygen with a plan to switch at 20' to bottom gas (32% nitrox) before continuing down to 100'. He forgot to switch to his back gas, stayed on oxygen, and toxed/convulsed at 90'.

The list goes on -- I can talk at length about the people I know that jumped into the water with valves off.
Makes a strong case for diving with a buddy and verifying switches as a team.

It'll cook your goose.

Makes a strong case for diving with a buddy and verifying switches as a team.

It'll cook your goose.

Absolutely! It also goes to show how easy it is to screw up with only one gas!

And then there's the story about the cave explorer that did a giant stride in Peacock with his valves off while diving with his girlfriend. He had some pretty solid experience but nearly drowned in 20' of water. Anyone can make a mistake.

Happened almost to my buddy last night. Buddy with more than 400 dives, but new on twins. Forgot to open his right valve. For this reason alone I always fully fill my wing on land. What ever happens, I know I have buoyancy when jumping in an d be able to get to the surface and breathe.

Btw, I was trained SSI AOW but really learned to dive doing (struggling to be honest) Fundamentals. Totally different form the re-creative way of diving but worth every cent in time, effort and money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom