Difference between Intro to Tec and Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my google-fu says this post. Could be wrong though
Fundamentals 1 & 2?

Looks like your Google-fu is better than mine. I was apparently incorrect. Thanks for finding it. It really is a great quote.

@Ayisha, thanks for all the GTA info. I've already checked out the TAUE FB page. This info will be very useful!

Np. There is also the GUE Ontario FB page. I've always seen it as more for people once they start the GUE path rather than GUE-curious (ha ha), but you might find that page useful too.

I did my Fundies in a wetsuit and single tank too, there are some of us here. Quite a bit easier to task load without the drysuit, doubles, and potentially a light cord.

I've taken both. A big difference, among others already mentioned, is fundamentals has more stringent requirements in order to pass. For example with GUE, you must have trim within 30 degrees of horizontal, max 5' buoyancy depth window, etc. ITT, not necessarily.

I did ITT after fundies and because of that ITT was kind of a waste. I already knew everything and could already do everything.

Not exactly. A very large part of the GUE Fundamentals course is about configuration, proper fitting of the harness, and learning, well the fundamentals of diving a standard configuration. You can absolutely go into this course with a wetsuit and a single tank or as a new doubles diver in a drysuit. Too often the "Tech" course jumps into stages, decompression, or other skills before the basics are instilled. I have an acronym I use in my classes now and am in the process of writing an article on. BATS, Bouyancy, Awareness, Task, Survival. It is based on the idea that before Awareness can truly become second nature and you need this to be a good team member, you must master buoyancy. Otherwise the focus will either be entirely on maintaining buoyancy or when you begin to focus on your surroundings, a team member or anything else your buoyancy will be lost because it wasn't truly mastered. Same for Task. Before you focus on tasks like running a reel you need to have mastered the first two. If you have not then when your focus shifts to the reel then you will lose the natural ability to maintain your buoyancy or team/environmental awareness because it really wasn't there to begin with. Efficiency is also key and this is much of what Fundamentals teaches. "Not all flutter kicks are created equal".

TAKE FUNDAMENTALS. Anyone who says it isn't worth it has either not taken it or has not gone into it with the proper mindset. Even if you do not continue down the GUE path this course is worthwhile. I am the Training Chairman for the NSS-CDS, an IANTD IT and I just recently took Fundamentals and was so impressed I am working towards that instructional rating even after all my tech training and cave experience.

I've taken both. A big difference, among others already mentioned, is fundamentals has more stringent requirements in order to pass. For example with GUE, you must have trim within 30 degrees of horizontal, max 5' buoyancy depth window, etc. ITT, not necessarily.

I did ITT after fundies and because of that ITT was kind of a waste. I already knew everything and could already do everything.

Makes sense. If one takes Fundies first, ITT becomes less relevant. Like how AOW becomes less and less useful after gaining experience diving.

Not exactly. A very large part of the GUE Fundamentals course is about configuration, proper fitting of the harness, and learning, well the fundamentals of diving a standard configuration. You can absolutely go into this course with a wetsuit and a single tank or as a new doubles diver in a drysuit. Too often the "Tech" course jumps into stages, decompression, or other skills before the basics are instilled. I have an acronym I use in my classes now and am in the process of writing an article on. BATS, Bouyancy, Awareness, Task, Survival. It is based on the idea that before Awareness can truly become second nature and you need this to be a good team member, you must master buoyancy. Otherwise the focus will either be entirely on maintaining buoyancy or when you begin to focus on your surroundings, a team member or anything else your buoyancy will be lost because it wasn't truly mastered. Same for Task. Before you focus on tasks like running a reel you need to have mastered the first two. If you have not then when your focus shifts to the reel then you will lose the natural ability to maintain your buoyancy or team/environmental awareness because it really wasn't there to begin with. Efficiency is also key and this is much of what Fundamentals teaches. "Not all flutter kicks are created equal".

This makes a lot of sense to me and I agree.

TAKE FUNDAMENTALS. Anyone who says it isn't worth it has either not taken it or has not gone into it with the proper mindset. Even if you do not continue down the GUE path this course is worthwhile. I am the Training Chairman for the NSS-CDS, an IANTD IT and I just recently took Fundamentals and was so impressed I am working towards that instructional rating even after all my tech training and cave experience.

Coming from someone with your background, that really tells me a lot about the quality of Fundamentals. I really have no reason to doubt its usefulness. My only question is whether I can step up to that level yet.:)

Go for fundamentals. The best class there is.
Keep in mind that you take a course to learn something, which means that you do not master the skills BEFORE you take the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom