DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To use an even more demanding analogy, there's only one way for Manned Space Flight, Life Support and Contingency Planning in Outer Space and NASA may say they're Doing-It-Right . . .well the Russian Space Agency begs to differ, and have their own way of doing the same things with slightly different methods & rationale. Both seem to be accomplishing the Mission and are returning Astronauts/Cosmonauts back to terra firma safely, so in essence they are both Doing-It-Right within their own respective System & Philosophy.

Rutan did it all wrong according to traditional space flight methods and look at what he did.

What Rutan did was daredevil stunt (not to demean him --Alan Shepard essentially did the same 45 years ago this past May 5th). Still kudos to him and his achievement~!

DIR is one of those things that, if you're the right kind of person, when you find it, you get real excited about having come home. Unfortunately, that can also translate into feeling that this way (or your diving) is somehow superior to anybody else's. In the most attractive form of this malady, you proselytize -- hence the reason why every question about a BC on Scubaboard is answered, "Buy a backplate and wing!" In less benign forms, you become dismissive or openly contemptuous of other people's diving choices. This doesn't win friends.

Zeeman:
OK, that was a bit nasty - maybe even troll-like. I'll elaborate.

To me, it just seems some DIR folks are so involved in the DIR philosiphy, that they forget diving is about having fun...

Z...

Most people don't understand DIR, the gear, system and "think" that the DIR guys are not having fun.... just because you are doing skills dives doesn't mean you are not having fun. You dive this system so you can have more fun. More comfort in the water, better skills, = more fun

DIR is a style of diving that has a set of basic equipment and philosophies that make diving safer. While not for everyone, you can still adopt many of their great ideas into your own diving should you not want to go the entire route. The controversy? It comes from divers on both sides with little experience and frankly is a dead end argument that you won't find experienced divers on either side spending too much time on.
Diving can be fun no matter what style you choose. The main thing is to keep learning, no matter how many dives you have and be safe.

Ben_ca:
Most people don't understand DIR, the gear, system and "think" that the DIR guys are not having fun.... just because you are doing skills dives doesn't mean you are not having fun. You dive this system so you can have more fun. More comfort in the water, better skills, = more fun
"Fun" means different things to different people.

Yesterday, after one of my AOW training dives, I was sitting in the parking lot with my student and OE2X talking about a training exercise we might try ...

Get the two of us and six of our friends to hover in a circle at 40 fsw ... now everyone pass your long hose to the diver on your right. Now, every other diver shoot a bag. Now, let's go up, making one-minute stops every 10 feet.

Why? ... because we can ... and because it'd be something different ... and fun.

Hey ... after all ... skydivers do stuff like this all the time ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Kevrumbo:
To use an even more demanding analogy, there's only one way for Manned Space Flight, Life Support and Contingency Planning in Outer Space and NASA may say they're Doing-It-Right . . .well the Russian Space Agency begs to differ, and have their own way of doing the same things with slightly different methods & rationale. Both seem to be accomplishing the Mission and are returning Astronauts/Cosmonauts back to terra firma safely, so in essence they are both Doing-It-Right within their own respective System & Philosophy.
i would even claim that nasa is doing it wrong then, looking at the records of aborted / failed missions (challenger comes to mind as the extreme).

NWGratefulDiver:
Hey ... after all ... skydivers do stuff like this all the time ... :D
Skydivers stop for a minute every couple of thousand feet....while they're falling UP???? Wow...I must be getting old!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom