DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron:
... A DIR diver form the US should be able to dive with a DIR diver in Europe with little problem underwater, despite a language barrier....
well, shouldnt that be true for any padi, naui, tdi, cmas, iantd etc. diver??? or do they learn something without a system? i know, we dont do it right - but hey we have the do it wrong system what still requires certain skills and equipment what is essentually similar.

Kim:
Skydivers stop for a minute every couple of thousand feet....while they're falling UP???? Wow...I must be getting old!!! :D

ROFL the wonderworld of skydiving :wink:

Halthron:
A DIR diver form the US should be able to dive with a DIR diver in Europe with little problem underwater, despite a language barrier.
Using Wetnotes might prove a bit difficult... :)

Orans,
It'll be far easier for a Dutchman to understand a Yank than a Brit :)

but no reason for the dutchman to want to?:wink:

It'd depend on who'd be needing what... :evil:

I find this whole DIR, not DIR, whatever thing rather boorish. Before there was DIR or doing it any other way, there were a bunch of people that went out diving, went into caves, wrecks, deep, shallow, whatever, and we didn't need all of these nonesense "rules" to tell us what was safe: we just dove safely. I think the modern world is too laden with manuals and rules and lists, and it takes the fun out of everything. To me, DIR stands for Doing It Rigidly and, to me, that's no fun. Also, there's no 'superiority' or 'inferiority' involved whatsoever one way or the other: its just a few people's idea of what works better FOR THEM - like religion. There are many roads to the top of the same mountain, so, climb the mountain, have fun, and don't sweat the small stuff (like which side of my whaterverthehell I have a ring shaped like a D, but really more like two L's, that is more than 2 inches, but less than 3 inches long that can't be more than 15 inches from my nose...it's just hilarious if you ask me...if you want to do it that way, go for it! But really, just because you need 100 different things on a list to tell you how to dive (can you say "task loading?") don't think that's the "right" way, as in there is no other "right" way or every other way is wrong or inferior...very distasteful. Peace!

CN

cowboyneal:
I find this whole DIR, not DIR, whatever thing rather boorish. Before there was DIR or doing it any other way, there were a bunch of people that went out diving, went into caves, wrecks, deep, shallow, whatever, and we didn't need all of these nonesense "rules" to tell us what was safe: we just dove safely. I think the modern world is too laden with manuals and rules and lists, and it takes the fun out of everything. To me, DIR stands for Doing It Rigidly and, to me, that's no fun. Also, there's no 'superiority' or 'inferiority' involved whatsoever one way or the other: its just a few people's idea of what works better FOR THEM - like religion. There are many roads to the top of the same mountain, so, climb the mountain, have fun, and don't sweat the small stuff (like which side of my whaterverthehell I have a ring shaped like a D, but really more like two L's, that is more than 2 inches, but less than 3 inches long that can't be more than 15 inches from my nose...it's just hilarious if you ask me...if you want to do it that way, go for it! But really, just because you need 100 different things on a list to tell you how to dive (can you say "task loading?") don't think that's the "right" way, as in there is no other "right" way or every other way is wrong or inferior...very distasteful. Peace!

CN
It does all seem rather Lilliputian at times ... doesn't it ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

did two dives this weekend. on one dive we went out and dove a site which we had never dove before and had no information on. we had bathymetry for the area, which it looks like was wrong because all we found was steeply sloping smooth sand and a couple of crabs. the other site was a well-known dive site off whidby island where we found 4 different species of nudibranchs (including a couple of large clusters of dozens of these really pretty ones with orange tips) and the usual assorted puget sound sea life. we spent both of the dives just diving. some of the nice parts were things like being able to come out of the first dive about 20 feet from where we started and being able to stay together and easily explore things without losing each other (and without having to think about it). that is really what DIR *diving* is actually about.

lamont:
the other site was a well-known dive site off whidby island where we found 4 different species of nudibranchs (including a couple of large clusters of dozens of these really pretty ones with orange tips)
Those would be clown dorids if they were larger than 1-inch, and cockerill's dorids if they were smaller ... and this is the time of year when they cluster to create little clowns.

Were you at Keystone Jetty, perchance? I heard it was rather crowded this past week-end (great tides for it, though) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom