DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's back to a happy world David, Global Peace has been achieved...

JeffG:
no...it seems to of gone into nudi hell
Nudi's are my favorite things to look at underwater ... not that you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at my photo album ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nudis are cool, there were tons in the PI's. Just down the coast a bit at 60 fsw. :wink:

nudi hell, there is a concept. ....and just when I had stopped making cracks about slime molds and sea slugs and other low life forms...I was starting to warm up to the little guys.

But nudi hell is a real place. You are on a dive and it is going very slow......you start to get very sleepy.. and cold...and hungry...and you just wish this dive could be over.

that is nudi hell.

(not to be mistaken for "cow hell" which is in Northern California, near Oakdale)

But, I do really like the pictures a lot, if I can enjoy them topside, with a beer. Alcina has some dynamite ones that would make Jesus weep.

catherine, I guess you wouldn't have had any fun at all with us Saturday -- My buddy and I found a steel beam covered with red kelp, and the kelp was full of small nudibranchs. There were several species I've never seen before. Most of them were tiny -- one or two centimeters. Kirk would flash me to come look at something he'd found, and I'd shake my head and say, "NO -- YOU come here and look at THIS one!" We probably spent twenty minutes on this girder, and Kirk took lots of pictures. I refused to turn the dive until I was frankly shivering because I was having such a good time. Nudi heaven!

TSandM:
catherine, I guess you wouldn't have had any fun at all with us Saturday -- My buddy and I found a steel beam covered with red kelp, and the kelp was full of small nudibranchs. There were several species I've never seen before. Most of them were tiny -- one or two centimeters. Kirk would flash me to come look at something he'd found, and I'd shake my head and say, "NO -- YOU come here and look at THIS one!" We probably spent twenty minutes on this girder, and Kirk took lots of pictures. I refused to turn the dive until I was frankly shivering because I was having such a good time. Nudi heaven!

yeah, i was flashing my buddy "hey come check this out" before i realized that the place was coated in the same kinds of nudibranchs...

i also got really cold... lot of very slow swimming in 48 degree water...

i need to bust out my camera again...

Diver Dennis:
It's back to a happy world David, Global Peace has been achieved...
Good news indeed Dennis :D

LSDeep:
i would even claim that nasa is doing it wrong then, looking at the records of aborted / failed missions (challenger comes to mind as the extreme).

sorry to dredge this up, from this morning, but i'd agree that at least parts of NASA are doing it wrong, particularly the bits of it focused on the orbiters. the orbiters really seem to violate the K.I.S.S. principle and a lot of the engineering seems to be layering redundant layers on redundant layers creating complex systems where i doubt they can ever be certain that it all works 100%.

OTOH, the mars lander missions seem to be trying to keep it simple and make it work. the loss rate there probably has to do with the difficulties of trying to land a small robot on a rock with a sizable amount of gravity but not much atmosphere for 'chutes to get ahold of.

lamont:
did two dives this weekend. on one dive we went out and dove a site which we had never dove before and had no information on. we had bathymetry for the area, which it looks like was wrong because all we found was steeply sloping smooth sand and a couple of crabs. the other site was a well-known dive site off whidby island where we found 4 different species of nudibranchs (including a couple of large clusters of dozens of these really pretty ones with orange tips) and the usual assorted puget sound sea life. we spent both of the dives just diving. some of the nice parts were things like being able to come out of the first dive about 20 feet from where we started and being able to stay together and easily explore things without losing each other (and without having to think about it). that is really what DIR *diving* is actually about.

Guess I'm sorta like DBailey... What the heck does that mean? :429:

Don Janni:
Guess I'm sorta like DBailey... What the heck does that mean? :429:

read it in response to:

To me, it just seems some DIR folks are so involved in the DIR philosiphy, that they forget diving is about having fun...

nowhere did i state that DIR diving was the only way to not lose your buddy. please up your dose of thorazine if you are so paranoid about people criticizing your diving style that you read it that way.

the point was just that we were a couple of DIR divers out looking at pretty sea slugs and having fun...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom