DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It just means that, when you dive with DIR buddies, you know you are diving with people who have made precise control of their position in the water, meticulous and constant attention to the position and condition of their team members, clear underwater communication, and good dive planning and coordination their priorities. Further, you're on the same page about buddy positioning, gas management, and sharing task and responsibilities.

You can find all those things in other good divers. You just know, if you're diving with somebody who has committed to the DIR way of doing things, that those qualities will be there, at least as far as that diver has been able to develop them . . . and they're still working on it.

Is what I've written below pretty close to what you meant?

TSandM:
DIR is one of those things that, if you're the right kind of person, when you find it, you get real excited about having come home. Unfortunately, that can also translate into feeling that this way (or your diving) is somehow superior to anybody else's
Oh, it also takes the right kind of person to do-it-right. Everyone just can't do-it-right even if they try.

TSandM:
In the most attractive form of this malady, you proselytize...
I see you proselytizing about bp/w's and your favorite whatever, here frequently.

TSandM:
-- hence the reason why every question about a BC on Scubaboard is answered, "Buy a backplate and wing!"
Woman, I think you've been reading too many of your own posts.

TSandM:
In less benign forms, you become dismissive or openly contemptuous of other people's diving choices. This doesn't win friends.
...and if it 's not behign it's malignant. That's why it's so sad.

if you don't like thorazine there's a whole lot of second generation anti-psychotics, which can take the edge off that paranoia that all the DIR divers are out to get you, without producting tardive dyskenisia and blunted affect that the older antipsychotics do. i'd recommend it to don janni and dbailey.

lamont:
if you don't like thorazine there's a whole lot of second generation anti-psychotics, which can take the edge off that paranoia that all the DIR divers are out to get you, without producting tardive dyskenisia and blunted affect that the older antipsychotics do. i'd recommend it to don janni and dbailey.

Now see... you're not vibrating hormoniously with nature.

The most paranoid of us all are always the first to call another paranoid. By-the-way, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

mudchick:
What is specific to the DIR philosophy that causes problems for some?
\

Mudchick: This is just a very old and very tired thread. Some enjoy the structure the drills etc. good on 'em. Many folks were diving in caves, wrecks, deep etc. long before JJ and GI3 and followers. I think the we are the ones "doing it right" attitude is what keeps this debate in play.

Most divers, in my experience, are very tolerant. It is hard to be "cool" when your hair is matted down and a bit of snot is coming out your nose. I always love that about diving. Just common humanity and love of the ocean.

Of course, there is no "doing it right", depends on the day, the ocean, the conditions, your condition, etc. Just enjoy diving. We are very fortunate to be under the waves. The other 99% never do.

mudchick:
I've read the other posts and understand a bit of the philosophy but it appears from some of the responses that there is a certain amount of controversy regarding it. Can someone expand on that for me? I mean diving efficiently and proficiently is something we strive for isn't it? What is specific to the DIR philosophy that causes problems for some?

I don't think there's a lot of controversy about DIR and it's not the philosophy that causes some heartburn. It's the few DIR divers who will look right down their noses at you and even challange you, as if it's the most ridiculous thing they've ever seen if your octo isn't hanging around your neck. Stuff like that.

You know diving is considered an extreme sport by a lot of people. Take that extreme into a cave with you, or take it deep inside huge wreck or take it to depths of 300' and you better be doing things right. Anybody's right will do but it better be right.

People adopt philosophies and train and train and train because for some reason beyond me their greatest pleasure in life is being 1000' feet into a cave and thinking they may be the first person to ever see this. More power to 'em. It takes a lot of courage and on some level I admire that.

Again, there are a few of these people who want to take their training/philosophy to Cozumel with them and impose it on everyone around them. We're gearing up getting ready for a 60' dive in clear open water with hardly a current and 800' feet from shore and they smerk under their breath about our split fins. Give me a break. :censored:

So... no controversy about the best way to quote "TECH" dive - The controversy is about the people - some of the people.

MDB's advice is right on... have fun and don't sweat the small stuff.

You know, Don Janni, I have this feeling that there isn't any point to what I'm going to write, but you misunderstood my prior post.

When I said that, if you are the right kind of person, you feel like you've come home, I was just trying to say that some people's temperaments are suited to different approaches to things. I'm compulsive and anal and risk-averse, and I like to make things harder than they may necessarily have to be, and DIR fits me like a glove. Like a bunch of other people, I got excited when I found something that seemed to be such a good approach, and I like to talk about it. I don't think I have EVER stated or implied that there aren't very good divers who use other systems or no system at all. And I've never smirked at anybody's split fins. My husband uses split fins . . .

Don Janni:
Again, there are a few of these people who want to take their training/philosophy to Cozumel with them and impose it on everyone around them. We're gearing up getting ready for a 60' dive in clear open water with hardly a current and 800' feet from shore and they smerk under their breath about our split fins. Give me a break. :censored:

Wow, sounds like you've had some issues. How many times has this happened to you?

Back
Top Bottom