DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh:
Don Janni:
Again, there are a few of these people who want to take their training/philosophy to Cozumel with them and impose it on everyone around them. We're gearing up getting ready for a 60' dive in clear open water with hardly a current and 800' feet from shore and they smerk under their breath about our split fins. Give me a break. :censored:

Wow, sounds like you've had some issues. How many times has this happened to you?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

I sense much anger in this one. Perhaps we can use this anger to turn him to the dark side of the force.

TSandM:
You know, Don Janni, I have this feeling that there isn't any point to what I'm going to write, but you misunderstood my prior post.

When I said that, if you are the right kind of person, you feel like you've come home, I was just trying to say that some people's temperaments are suited to different approaches to things. I'm compulsive and anal and risk-averse, and I like to make things harder than they may necessarily have to be, and DIR fits me like a glove. Like a bunch of other people, I got excited when I found something that seemed to be such a good approach, and I like to talk about it. I don't think I have EVER stated or implied that there aren't very good divers who use other systems or no system at all. And I've never smirked at anybody's split fins. My husband uses split fins . . .

If you spent your time at "TheDecoStop" or here in the DIR forum that would be belivable. Hummm... go figure.

TSandM:
catherine, I guess you wouldn't have had any fun at all with us Saturday -- My buddy and I found a steel beam covered with red kelp, and the kelp was full of small nudibranchs. There were several species I've never seen before. Most of them were tiny -- one or two centimeters. Kirk would flash me to come look at something he'd found, and I'd shake my head and say, "NO -- YOU come here and look at THIS one!" We probably spent twenty minutes on this girder, and Kirk took lots of pictures. I refused to turn the dive until I was frankly shivering because I was having such a good time. Nudi heaven!

I know, I know...I am starting to like them But at least admit they are an "acquired taste", yes?

Lynne, I honestly get what you are saying and people need to just see it as your joy in the great fit you have on your program...I really do.

catherine96821:
I know, I know...I am starting to like them But at least admit they are an "acquired taste", yes?

Lynne, I honestly get what you are saying and people need to just see it as your joy in the great fit you have on your program...I really do.

Catherine, macro is not scary... I love Nudis as much as Mantas, just about.

if you all say so. (okay, it's just too slow) How bout you just gimmie those shots I want, we can say I took em. Nudis have no personality----i don't care what you nudi lovers say.

halthron:
A DIR diver form the US should be able to dive with a DIR diver in Europe with little problem underwater, despite a language barrier.

LSDeep:
well, shouldnt that be true for any padi, naui, tdi, cmas, iantd etc. diver??? or do they learn something without a system? i know, we dont do it right - but hey we have the do it wrong system what still requires certain skills and equipment what is essentually similar.

Yes but it isn't. You and I are diving, you run out of air for whatever reason. What do you do? What do you expect me to do? What do I actually do? With a common system, this is understood even with a language barrier. As far as I'm aware, none of the regular agencies teach this kind of thing in recreational courses.

El Orans:
Using Wetnotes might prove a bit difficult... :)
Dutch play tic-tac-toe differently? :wink:

Yes but it isn't. You and I are diving, you run out of air for whatever reason. What do you do? What do you expect me to do? What do I actually do? With a common system, this is understood even with a language barrier. As far as I'm aware, none of the regular agencies teach this kind of thing in recreational courses.

Are you serious? have you not taken a rec-course with a regular agency?
Triangle, octo, "throatslashing"-sign...do none of these ring a bell?

We may all have preconceptions about how well the avg "recdiver" will respond to these things but maybe those preconceptions need to be examined rather than the divers and the system that creates them...I don´t know...I haven´t been in that situation myself...I´ll go out on a limb and assume that you haven´t either...

The whole controversy revolves around a caricature of DIR. It has little to do with reality and has more to do with an image that is perpetuated online through Internet forums and email lists.

People have been diving and using techniques and skills that are part of the DIR system of diving for many years before there was a DIR system of diving. Even those that put this system together will tell you that they didn't invent any of this.

GUE (Global Underwater Explorers) has simply put these different skills, techniques and procedures into a system that they teach. There are others systems out there and the DIR system is not for everyone. That's OK! You can think of DIR as a list of "best practices according to GUE". It's that simple.

There are different systems out there for speed reading, helping you to remember things, etc. People are free to choose which one they want to put their confidence into. You probably won't find many people using one system of memory techniques berating people using a different system although you may find a few.

It's like talking to people involved in different martial arts. Of course, everyone thinks that whichever martial art they are studying is the best one. While plenty of disagreement might take place between people at the lower levels of these sytems, you'll find that the people at the top of these sytems have more to agree upon than disagree upon.

You can find people that are either "pro" or "anti" DIR that have a propensity to display fits of psychopathic fury. It has nothing to do with DIR, but everything to do with these individuals. You can't reasonably judge any system based on the emotional outbursts of people for or against it.

Christian

Back
Top Bottom