DIR-F Lite - "Essentials of Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge:
Wow. Just had to get that in there huh?
It seems like a knock on PADI, but it's not.

The level and types of skill taught in OW classes bear almost no resemblance to the level and types of skill taught in Fundamentals and expected to be mastered before entering a GUE Tech or Cave class.

I should meet you to learn about how to do the backward kick with the split fin.....:)

theskull:
Thank you!

I do the 4 kicks (and numerous other variations) with split fins, and have friends who do as well.

Glad you were brave enough to admit it first, though. :D

theskull

jonnythan:

The level and types of skill taught in OW classes bear almost no resemblance to the level and types of skill taught in Fundamentals and expected to be mastered before entering a GUE Tech or Cave class.

OW skills from almost every agency bare little resemblance to what you need to be able to do for any Tech/Cave class - including PADI's own DSAT. OW skills are just that - Open Water. Of course there is then the argument put forward that they sometimes aren't really high enough for that either. In any event it seems clear that for people who would like better skills but don't want to do more than recreationally dive - this sounds like a nice workshop.

jonnythan:

Then why not say OW skills? or entry level skills? What about all other agencies?

Kim:
OW skills from almost every agency bare little resemblance to what you need to be able to do for any Tech/Cave class - including PADI's own DSAT. OW skills are just that - Open Water. Of course there is then the argument put forward that they sometimes aren't really high enough for that either. In any event it seems clear that for people who would like better skills but don't want to do more than recreationally dive - this sounds like a nice workshop.
I agree 100% with everything you said.

Fundamentals is there to provide a path for ramping up from OW diver skills to the level of skill required for very demanding GUE tech classes.

It's not a knock on PADI to say that it's a huge gap.

partridge:
Then why not say OW skills? or entry level skills? What about all other agencies?
Because PADI certifies the majority of OW divers?

Apparently you've been trained to think that anyone who refers to PADI is using the term in a derogatory fashion.

I assure you that I was using it in the most objective, neutral tone possible. Don't impose your neuroses on me.

jonnythan:
Because PADI certifies the majority of OW divers?

Apparently you've been trained to think that anyone who refers to PADI is using the term in a derogatory fashion.

I assure you that I was using it in the most objective, neutral tone possible. Don't impose your neuroses on me.

Actually I think PADI is the best thing to happen to diving in general. But I do not call all cars FORD or call all cola COKE or all toothpaste CREST.

partridge:
Sounds like a nice course. Not that I will be in the area anytime soon but Im just curious about it. Can anybody find out about the smoking requirement? I know DIR does not accept any smokers. How about this course?
The smokers requirement is a GUE specific thing.

This is not a GUE course, so I don't know. I'd like to hear the answer to this as well.. but I lack the initiative to email 5thD-X directly.

Any takers? :wink:

partridge:
Actually I think PADI is the best thing to happen to diving in general. But I do not call all cars FORD or call all cola COKE or all toothpaste CREST.
Neither do I, but I use Crest and Coke as examples when talking about soda or toothpaste.

Back
Top Bottom