Dir-ftm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
Say, I was just wondering...

If we all converted to DIR and had to buy
all new equiptment....

Who's going to make the profit with the
changeover?

What happens to the companies that
make conventional gear? Can they
survive on DIR gear?

Oh, FTM stands for FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Oh boy here we go again.:bonk: Why is that the people seem to know the least about DIR talk the most crap.For someone that is such anti DIR you sure seem to love bringing up the topic.You have already won troll of the year,what else do you want:eek: :wink:

1) FredT, Koplin, Hoadley, DiveRite, OMS, Halcyon,PST, Luxfer ScubaPro and Apeks certainly... as well as others.

2) They would convert production to meet demand.

3) Probably not many as the gear is robust by nature and does not necessitate frequent repurchase.

Following the money in another direction: who profits from the current trend in (non-DIR) diver training & equipment sales?

Lawman once bubbled...
If we all converted to DIR and had to buy
all new equiptment....

I am going to guess that you have never taken a DIRF class. The reason I say this is because I was never told in my class (and I have heard the sentiment echoed by numerous others that took the class) that THEY DO NOT REQUIRE YOU TO PURCHASE SPECIFIC GEAR with the exception of a 7' hose.

A lot of people seem to have a misconception of what IS and what ISN'T DIR.

If you are on the WKPP team led by George Irvine, then he is going to require you to wear certain gear and stick to certain protocols. But the fact is that the vast majority of us will NEVER achieve a diving position with the WKPP.

Then we have GUE. GUE is teaching numerous certifcation courses now. The most basic of this is the Do It Right Fundamentals class (DIRF). I took the class WITHOUT a backplate, WITH a computer, WITHOUT numerous other "DIR" gear and I was not bashed in the class a single time. They only gear that I was "required" to have was a 7' hose for the air sharing drills. For a detailed look at such a class click one of these links below:

DIRF Report-Lost Yooper

DIRF Report-Large Diver

DIRF Report-Cave Diver

If you take a Tech 1 or Cave 1, or some other advanced course from GUE they will certainly REQUIRE you to have certain gear. But so did my IANTD advanced nitrox class, and my NACD full cave class, and on and on.

If you choose to go to an agency and be certified through them, then it is reasonable to expect that you must conform to their guidelines. If you don't like their guidelines, find a different agency. It really is that simple.

I personally like to think of myself as a DIRF diver. DIR Fundamentalist. That means that I use the fundamental ideas and configuration as recommended by GUE, but not everything. I guess I am kinda sitting on the fence between the hardcore "if you don't do it my way you are a stroke" and the "I'd rather have a boa constrictor around my neck than a 7' hose" divers.

I agree that a lot of the DIR proponents come off as abrasive in their viewpoints, but so do a lot of the opponents. I have also noticed that some of the most vocal (with a few noticeable exceptions) of the proponents HAVE NEVER TAKEN A DIR CLASS!!

Speaking as someone who did considerable research into the whole DIR phenomenon before deciding to take the class myself, I find it quite easy to distinguish between those that KNOW what they are doing and are trying to make themselves better divers and those that are just reading and regurgitating so they can be on the "DIR Bandwagon" so to speak.

To answer your question, I don't think that will ever be a problem. There are too many divers who are just 'holiday divers' for there to be a 100% conversion to DIR.

There are people who are serious about this sport and want to learn to be safer and dive better and improve their dive on each and every dive. These are the people that may eventually convert to a DIR style (or a DIRF like myself).

But there is another group out there that doesnt dive often enough to spend time training, researching gear, finding better instruction etc. They just want to go out and do a few dives on their vacation, then hang up their fins until next year.

So don't be too overly concerned with how the manufacturers will make money. There will always be someone there to buy their gear.

lal7176 once bubbled...
Oh boy here we go again.:bonk: Why is that the people seem to know the least about DIR talk the most crap.For someone that is such anti DIR you sure seem to love bringing up the topic.You have already won troll of the year,what else do you want:eek: :wink:

Wow, almost exactly what I said in my previous post...

the DIR-F class. I have tlaked with someone who has done training with GUE and I get the same impression that Cave Diver is putting forth. I could and probably will take the DIR-F class in my jacket BC and "misplaced" weight belt. Will the GUE instructor have some issues with my gear? Probably--and not without reason. Will I be allowed to finsh the course? From what I hear--yes.

There is far too much misunderstanding about DIR, GUE etc etc.

Lawman you need to do some research into where DIR came from and what the differences are between DIR and GUE.

When you understand where DIR came from you will see that it makes sense--both the skills and the gear configuration.

IMHO the skills are universal to diving no matter what the diving environment and mastery of these skills should be sought out by all divers. As for the gear configuration, again IMHO, I don't think the gear configuration is necessary for all diving environments, BUT, it certainly can be used in all diving environments. If someone is going to dive with that gear configuration in a cave or a wreck penetration then it would be wise in my opinion for them to dive with the same gear when just doing plain ol' open water dives--just to maintain or hone familiarity with the gear.

All this endless argueing and bashing back and forth about DIR/non DIR needs to end.

After a bit of economic fallout, they would still make money (or the ones that adapted would)

Regulators:
Competition would be ~about the same (and there are lots of choices there)

BCDs
Biggest Change. A few Companies making backplates. Lots of companies making Wings.

Accessories.
I can't really see a big change here. Some of the Non-Dir equipment would drop off, other stuff would take its place.

In the DIR world, a diver would still aquire more gear as he went along. He might add a different set of wings, a new light, BUT the purpose behind DIR is that the foundation Equipment would behave the same throughout the divers lifetime. He might change a wing, but the new wing behaves the same as the old one.

jbd once bubbled...

All this endless argueing and bashing back and forth about DIR/non DIR needs to end.

jbd,

Your and Cave Diver's posts sum it up very well.

As for the quote above, I agree wholeheartedly. In the time I have been on the board I have watched it go from a place where everyone was friends, they might not agree in one thread but at the same time they would be joking with each other in another, to one with endless arguements that seem to bleed over to other threads. I am afraid that a lot of the valuable members we have here are getting tired of the bickering and we will lose thier input. I am personally aware of one that chooses to no longer participate.

I find this to be very sad. I have gleaned much valuable information from the folks here and I hope this will continue. I am tiring of the fights so now I stick mainly to the NDI sections and use the PM function to ask many of my questions. I realize that this means others can't learn from my questions, but it also means that I don't have to read any flames that result from a thread I started.

I wish everyone well and I respect the fact that it appears that I am becoming part of the minority around here so I intend to remove myself from situations were I could be involved in the conflicts and to spend my time talking to my friends in the NDI sections. I will continue, for now, to view the other threads and offer input as I feel I am qualified, but I will not respond if I feel that an argument is pending.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom