Dir-ftm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Com'on Andy... new folks are popping onto the board all the time... you may be getting tired of it... (shoot I'm getting tired of it) but what is *old stuff* to us is *new stuff* to them.... at least that is the pep talk I'm giving myself right now. :D

Seems I've spent a lot of time emptying my inbox of PMs from posters asking questions so I could receive more from other posters asking questions.... come to think of it I even had some in there from you several cycles back :wink:

I don't have any problem with the re-discussion of the same issues. Sometimes new insights come up. It is the fighting and flaming I am getting tired of seeing.

It all goes back to the Golden Rule we all learned in kindergarten.

BTW Big T, I will answer any DIR questions you have and if I don't know the answer I will try to find it out for you. From there the choice is yours. I hope you know that I have no desire to cram anything down anyones throat.

I even have Ber trying the long hose. he he he.

Chad

It's great fun to make bubbles. I meet nice people doing it. It's a great hobby/sport I've found. I try to do it as safely as I can, as frequently as I can (in the frozen north) and to buy quality equipment as I can afford it. As I learn more, I feel good about what I learn. As I learn and wish to upgrade equipment (without my wife learning too much) I do so. I read a lot here on Scuba Board, and have learned a lot and appreciate the generosity of what more experienced divers have shared.

I don't like to argue.

I can understand why we don't have world peace when lovers of the same sport can't find peace.

Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano Nuevo a todos.

ckharlan66 once bubbled...

It all goes back to the Golden Rule we all learned in kindergarten.

BTW Big T, I will answer any DIR questions you have and if I don't know the answer I will try to find it out for you. From there the choice is yours. I hope you know that I have no desire to cram anything down anyones throat.

I even have Ber trying the long hose. he he he.

Chad

That's cool....I've got to get a dry-suit first though. I'm pretty sure that's first on my agenda.

As far as the bickersons (those who love arguments) they're always going to be around, but I agree that it's getting old.

For Ber-- well the next thing you know, Joe's quarry will be added to our list of check-out dive sites.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

That's cool....I've got to get a dry-suit first though. I'm pretty sure that's first on my agenda.

You can learn about DIR before you get the drysuit. You might find that there are opinions on those too that may or may not influence your decision.

I am trying to get Ber to strap on my 104's and try those out next.

Chad

Before we all get too excited about the thread, consider the source.

[http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19411&pagenumber=4

Check out last post on this page for an example of this guy's skill sets and attitude. Enough said.

As to the questions about the required equipment for DIR-F, I specifically asked my DIR-F instructor about the required equipment. All you need is (1) a primary regulator on a 5 or 7 foot hose; and (2) a backup regulator on a bungee around your neck. Other gear configurations are perfectly acceptable; however, you should anticipate a discussion of why the BP/Wing may work better for you than a traditional BC.

There should not be a major problem doing DIR-F in a wetsuit, so long as it is appropriate for lengthy exposures in whatever water you are diving. That was another question I asked my instructor.

I disagree with claims that GUE is inflexible. My GUE instructor, Bob Sherwood, is a WKPP and Britannic expedition diver. He has been there, done that and, quite literally, bought the T-Shirt (which he wears during class). He is absolutely convinced that DIR's configuration is the way to go. However, he is also willing to explain why, in as much detail as you can stand.

Bob tells everyone that DIR is a holistic system that evolved from cave diving. It is a system that focuses on risk minimization and streamlining Insofar as GUE is convinced that its configuration and skill sets have minimized the risk associated with their diving, they are unwilling to change it because a change would, by definition, increase risk. Similarly, adding gear or changing to a BC will decrease streamlining.

However, Bob tole me that GUE recognizes that people are applying the DIR style to other types of diving. For that reason, it may be necessary to modify the system in order to deal with the differences.

Nobody says that a diver can't modify a DIR gear configuration to suit your personal preferences. However, the diver must recognize that doing so may increase risk and/or decrease streamlining. For example, changing to a BC with quick disconnects increases the chance of a failure (a piece of plastic is more likely to fail than a continuous piece of heavy belt). The chance is still very small; however remains larger than GUE's preferred method. Whether the increased risk is acceptable to the individual diver and to his/her buddy is their choice.

The same goes for non-standardized gear configurations. No one at GUE will tell you that you can't dive if you don't have your can light on your right hip and your deco gasses under your left arm. The will simply tell you that you can't dive with them.

The same goes for skills.

I (and, I suspect, most of us) do the same thing whenever we dive. We look at a potential buddy, check out his/her gear configuration and decide whether we willing to do the dive in question with a person using the rig at issue. We also inquire about the person's skills and experience.

I'll dive with just about anyone at our local training cove, so long as they are minimally qualified. I'm much more picky about more complicated wrecks. I'll dive my two favorite subs with a very small group and penetrate a wreck with exactly two people.

To suggest that y'all aren't doing the same thing is naive.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
The best thing we could do is collectively click on ignore each and every time he posts. The next best is to respond in the hopes that he will eventually master reading and learn something.

I have changed my opinion after Pug posted his response to it.

If we all just post answers to questions in a respectful manner, even if that wasn't the way the question was asked, then we might provide information that someone is really trying to find. If we all ignore all the post then no information exchanges hands. Arguements take two and if no one will argue and responds like the message is legit then it takes all the ammo away.

JMHO

Chad

Chad, I can't disagree, which is why I edited most of the post. I'll stand by what I said in the other post and let the people decide for themselves whether Lawman is the type of diver they want to emulate.:weak:

This whole thread is based on the assumption that DIR is the only way forward.

There is a lot of exploration going on by non DIR divers, particularily in the ocean.

Personally, what ever GI might say, I see very un-DIR CCRs as the future for deep ocean exploration (and maybe cave as well).

SimonN once bubbled...
This whole thread is based on the assumption that DIR is the only way forward.
This thread is about whatever we make it about... it isn't based on anything.

Chill dude... dive it how you want to... film it and we'll watch it on the discovery channel. :D

As to the questions about the required equipment for DIR-F, I specifically asked my DIR-F instructor about the required equipment. All you need is (1) a primary regulator on a 5 or 7 foot hose; and (2) a backup regulator on a bungee around your neck. Other gear configurations are perfectly acceptable; however, you should anticipate a discussion of why the BP/Wing may work better for you than a traditional BC.
Exactly Right! Except in our class, we discussed the attributes of just about EVERY piece of gear, not just BP/Wing.

Nobody says that a diver can't modify a DIR gear configuration to suit your personal preferences. However, the diver must recognize that doing so may increase risk and/or decrease streamlining. For example, changing to a BC with quick disconnects increases the chance that of a failure (a piece of plastic is more likely to fail than a continuous piece of heavy belt). The chance is still very small; however it is still larger. Whether the increased risk is acceptable to the individual diver and to his/her buddy is their choice.
EXACTLY! Which is why I stated earlier that I feel that I am a DIR Fundamentalist Diver. I am not wholly DIR, but I do use a lot of the things that make sense to me. Maybe I can start my own training agency and call it DWW (doing what works). Ya, that's the ticket!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom