DIR/GUE OW class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
Just so that they can "say" they have an open water class? Interesting concept.

No, just so they can do it the way GUE feels is best for new divers. People that want that type of intial training will appreciate it. (--- see post #121 above---that's what I thought)

But, will a GUE C-Card be accepted world wide?

Kevfin:
I'm not DIR-F/GUE trained. But, it is something I want to do.

My guess is, if GUE sticks with it's OW Class long enough, there will be enough of a following just by word of mouth/referrals, just like with the DIR-F course.

My only concern is if the GUE OW card would allow people to get AIR? Will the C-Card be recognized world wide?

I suspect those that are worried about the classes filing up haven't been involved with our beta testing. We've essentially been teaching this OW class for about 2 years and getting students isn't the problem. Those of us that teach these classes have long ago signed off on the notion that there really are two markets in the dive industry. The majority of divers that are seeking cheaper, shorter and quicker classes, and those divers that prefer a more detailed and complete educational experience directly from the beginning. Admittedly, the later is a significantly smaller market, but a market nonetheless. Moreover, there is an additional option which is to have the vision to create a demand for a class that doesn't necessarily exist today. I suspect you are correct in your statement that word of mouth will be helpful to us in that regard.

BTW, I see no reason why anyone wouldn't accept a GUE OW card, other then a limited few shops/boats that refuse to acknowledge the GUE card at the advanced levels, it hasn't been a problem. Those that refused the GUE card usually did so for malicious and politically motivated reasons, not necessarily as a result of professional concerns.

Also, PM me as I've just set up another DIR-F class for January if you still want to sit in on the opening night lecture.

Hope that helps.

JeffG:
Just so that they can "say" they have an open water class? Interesting concept.
Jeff - I somehow doubt that you actually believe that. At any rate I hope it would be really far from the truth.

Personally I think that they are trying to do something as excellently as they can. Herein lies the problem.
If the goal is to try to get more divers with higher skills for the sake of the divers themselves then for me this program sounds as if it might lock too many out simply from the financial and time aspects.
If the goal is simply to have excellence for it's own sake, then it doesn't matter if not too many people can do it - it still stands as an example.

I have to wonder if having done the 'show the bar' thing for individual divers with DIR-F, this is actually more of a 'show the bar' thing aimed at the other agencies myself. Maybe I'm way off base, but that's what's nagging in the back of my mind.
If the outcome of this would be an improvement in training all round the board I think you could call it a very major success.

Kevfin:
No, just so they can do it the way GUE feels is best for new divers.
Thats not what Johnny just said.

Kevfin:
People that want that type of initial training will appreciate it.
Really? Who are they and how will they find Gue? (Especially if they don't market it)

DIR-f was highly successful because the people that took it had an appreciation of what is lacking in the current form of dive training. (It also had the advantage of being able to travel to areas away from the home Diveshop of the Gue Instructor.)

The Joe off the street doesn't have the same appreciation, especially when everyone else in the industry will be telling him, that he doesn't need it.

Kevfin:
But, will a GUE C-Card be accepted world wide?
Legally it should be, but who knows. Lots and lots of stores out there have no idea what or who Gue is.

Kim:
Jeff - I somehow doubt that you actually believe that. At any rate I hope it would be really far from the truth.
I don't. I was asking Johnny boy if he did. Why go and create a program, certify new instrutors, just because...It doesn't make sense.

MHK:
We've essentially been teaching this OW class for about 2 years and getting students isn't the problem.

Well, that is good to know, and tells me that my concerns must not be valid, if you have been teaching the material indicated, in the timeframe indicated, and charging about $1200 for about 2 years, and have not have problems getting students. That is great news. If only we had heard this a hundred posts ago :)

EDIT- If that is not the problem, are there any others that you see as a potential obsticle that was uncovered during trials?

Jasonmh:
Well, that is good to know, and tells me that my concerns must not be valid, if you have been teaching the material indicated, in the timeframe indicated, and charging about $1200 for about 2 years, and have not have problems getting students. That is great news. If only we had heard this a hundred posts ago :)

EDIT- If that is not the problem, are there any others that you see as a potential obsticle that was uncovered during trials?

In the interest of full disclosure, I wasn't charging $1,200. I charged $800 and to the extent I teach GUE OW classes, GUE precludes any collusion of pricing so each instructor will certainly be free to charge whatever he/she sees fit. The one thing we all agree on in the instructor core however is that none of us are interested in selling each other out and undercutting each other for the sake of getting a student, so I don't strongly anyone should wait around for the $99 special ;-)

JeffG:
Thats not what Johnny just said.

Really? Who are they and how will they find Gue? (Especially if they don't market it)

DIR-f was highly successful because the people that took it had an appreciation of what is lacking in the current form of dive training. (It also had the advantage of being able to travel to areas away from the home Diveshop of the Gue Instructor.)

The Joe off the street doesn't have the same appreciation, especially when everyone else in the industry will be telling him, that he doesn't need it.

Legally it should be, but who knows. Lots and lots of stores out there have no idea what or who Gue is.

I'm no expert by any means on GUE or their training. I have been doing a lot of reading and following this thread.

MHK has said that the beta has been going for 2 years, with no problem getting students. That's just a beta stage --- how many people even knew there was a beta? When it becomes widely available, shouldn't it do better than it's doing now?

I know a lot of people don't know about GUE. I suspect that will slowly change and when it does, the OW will be avaible for those that want it.

I'm not sure of what your complaint is. Is it that GUE should remain as it is and just do the DIR-F and then the tech stuff, getting students that have OW experience with other agencies? Why fix what isn't broken?

On a side note,,, I chose my initial training because I knew it was good. The instructor was teaching through a University and was hard core. A full semester of practice, theory, formulas,pool work, ocean dives... rescue, recovery, etc. etc. if you couldn't do it, you failed! I could have gone anywhere, I chose this and I knew it would be hard... I bet there are people out there looking for the same thing right now.

Kevfin:
On a side note,,, I chose my initial training because I knew it was good. The instructor was teaching through a University and was hard core. A full semester of practice, theory, formulas,pool work, ocean dives... rescue, recovery, etc. etc. if you couldn't do it, you failed! I could have gone anywhere, I chose this and I knew it would be hard... I bet there are people out there looking for the same thing right now.

I think you have got it. This new GUE OW course will go very well. The only hold up will be lack of instructors. There is a crying need for a full complete course and, despite all the normal cynics and skeptics, this course will set a new standard and help all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom