DIR/GUE OW class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
Why wouldn't they just mentor them?

Just because someone is DIR minded doesn't mean he/she is capable of teaching all that is encompassed in the GUE OW class. However, if someone is DIR minded and buys into the whole philosophy, I can see that person definitely being a proponent of the class, even at $1200.

NWGratefulDiver:
Apparently you're not married ... :browsmile

When I was a ski instructor, we were taught (as part of our training) to avoid attempting to teach significant others ... the relationship almost always gets in the way ...

I am. If not for my easy access to 5thd-x, it would be a no brainer when my wife asks about scuba certification.

My hope it that this new course will (as Kim put it) show the bar, if it does take off as I hope that it will (notice I said 'hope') it may push the other agencies to raise their standards.. I believe that it will at least show the industry that there is truely a market for more intense education and goad the independant shops to incorperate some of this same philosophy into there own O/W programs.

Everyone is saying how successful DIR-F has been. Can you explain to me how you gauge this success? I can think of some ways that it has been successful... but I can also think of ways that it has not. It all depends on the measuring stick that one chooses to use.

Also, some here suggests that this new OW course will drive other agencies to up their standards. Do you believe this? Do you believe that certifying a few thoroughly trained GUE OW divers will be noticed by those agencies cranking out hundreds of thousands? What will be the motivator? Increased market share and profits? An epiphany? Guilt? What?

Stephen Ash:
Everyone is saying how successful DIR-F has been. Can you explain to me how you gauge this success? I can think of some ways that it has been successful... but I can also think of ways that it has not. It all depends on the measuring stick that one chooses to use.

Also, some here suggests that this new OW course will drive other agencies to up their standards. Do you believe this? Do you believe that certifying a few thoroughly trained GUE OW divers will be noticed by those agencies cranking out hundreds of thousands? What will be the motivator? Increased market share and profits? An epiphany? Guilt? What?
I think the answer to both of those questions depends on the location. Most of the diving world still doesn't know that GUE exists ... so the impact is nil. In those areas where there is a GUE presence, I think the impact is proportional to the number of DIR-trained divers in that area.

I know that here in the greater Seattle area, DIR-F has been successful ... as evidenced by the number of DIR-trained divers you'll see at any given dive site. I think that in some respects, DIR-F has had in impact on how others teach ... not out of any agency recognition, but due to the fact that some instructors get exposed to the methodology, some take the class, others "borrow" ideas and curriculum that they think will improve their own classes ... and in some non-GUE circles, the bar has gotten raised. But, I would say that's not due to "being noticed" by the other agencies so much as simply a desire by a certain number of instructors to teach the best class they can, and using whatever tools and methods they get exposed to.

Time will tell if the OW class has a similar impact ... and I believe it will take time if it does. As to the agencies motives ... I doubt there will be any. They will continue to target the biggest market share they can ... and that won't be the people who would be likely to take this class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... at least it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will have a positive effect on the industry.

Kudos to those GUE instructors that devote their time and energy to this. I appreciate your hard work. Somehow, though, I just wish it would come faster and with a bigger bang!

NWGratefulDiver:
I think the answer to both of those questions depends on the location. Most of the diving world still doesn't know that GUE exists ... so the impact is nil. In those areas where there is a GUE presence, I think the impact is proportional to the number of DIR-trained divers in that area.
Thats the only place that the OW will be held. I can't see how they could take the OW class on the road (like the DIR-f).

NWGratefulDiver:

I know that here in the greater Seattle area, DIR-F has been successful ... as evidenced by the number of DIR-trained divers you'll see at any given dive site. I think that in some respects, DIR-F has had in impact on how others teach ... not out of any agency recognition, but due to the fact that some instructors get exposed to the methodology, some take the class, others "borrow" ideas and curriculum that they think will improve their own classes ... and in some non-GUE circles, the bar has gotten raised. But, I would say that's not due to "being noticed" by the other agencies so much as simply a desire by a certain number of instructors to teach the best class they can, and using whatever tools and methods they get exposed to.

Time will tell if the OW class has a similar impact ... and I believe it will take time if it does. As to the agencies motives ... I doubt there will be any. They will continue to target the biggest market share they can ... and that won't be the people who would be likely to take this class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is exactly what I've been thinking, Bob... great success in local hot spots... and... I think you also described very nicely the way in which this has influenced some individual instructors. It certainly has affected my teaching... indirectly, at least.

JeffG:
Thats the only place that the OW will be held. I can't see how they could take the OW class on the road (like the DIR-f).

I imagine it would be a tough sell to an LDS... to get them to host a GUE OW class. Plus...the cost goes up even more. The LDS would certainly expect - and deserve - some compensation.

Stephen Ash:
I imagine it would be a tough sell to an LDS... to get them to host a GUE OW class. Plus...the cost goes up even more. The LDS would certainly expect - and deserve - some compensation.

It seems like this needs to be done with all kinds of logistical support from an LDS. How else would they manage things like wet suit/dry suit rentals? And I wonder how many LDS would even have BP/Wings for rentals let alone regs with a long hose primary and a backup on a necklace as well as a simple SPG as opposed to a console. From what I understand, Bob does that in his shop in NY but here in Northern Cali, even our LDS that supports DIR doesn't have all the bits needed for DIR diving available for rental.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom