DIR Halcyon question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, Eventually I will end up taking a fundies class. As far as gear goes, is it a requirement to use Halcyon or is it just that halcyon is preferred? I ask because I'm about get a bp/w but I've been considering an OMS rig. Either continuous strap or single shoulder release. Will I be prevented from taking a fundies class if I have, say, that single shoulder release or something?

I havent taken Fundies either, but it is on my list for when I'm ready. Having said that' I've been reading, reading, and reading.

I don't think the brand of your gear is an issue, as long as it is compatible gear.

I think I had heard that a single shoulder release, that while frowned upon, won't be a dealbreaker in terms of taking the basic class. It would be if you were after the tech pass.

Probably didn't help much, but I'm anxious to see what the experts say as well!

The gear requirements are pretty straight forward and do not involve specific brands. Go to gue.com for specifics.

Here's a link to the GUE Fundamentals Course description

I suggest contacting Micheal Kane (MHK) or Karim your local GUE instructors and see about sitting in on the next class... Mr Kane (as most Fundies instructors) had an open invite for people to come and sit in and ask questions.

There is a lot of internet rumor and myth out there.... so be careful on who you get your info from.

There is no requirement for specific brands. There are requirements for the equipment -- Some OMS wings are bungied, which is not recommended.

Ben's got it right -- You have three GUE instructors in SoCal, and I'd contact the one closest to you to discuss equipment issues. That's what the GUE website recommends!

There is a lot of internet rumor and myth out there.... so be careful on who you get your info from.

This coming from the guy who got a blue H tattoo on his shoulder! :D

There is no requirement for specific brands. There are requirements for the equipment -- Some OMS wings are bungied, which is not recommended.

Ben's got it right -- You have three GUE instructors in SoCal, and I'd contact the one closest to you to discuss equipment issues. That's what the GUE website recommends!

Who's the 3rd?

This coming from the guy who got a blue H tattoo on his shoulder! :D

Dude... Have you seen my gear? :wink:

Well I plan to get the bungied wings for now anyways, but I know when I go cave, I need to cut/take off the bungies.

Why not just skip the bungied wing for now and get a regular wing sans bungies? Then you won't end up buying 2 wings. Same thing goes for the harness. If you're thinking about taking Fundies, just go with the standard continuous webbing. Better to get used to the gear now so it'll be familiar when you take the class.

FWIW - I took (& passed) fundies in a red OMS (non-bungied) wing, DiveRite BP. There are no specific brands required.

Mike

... and why reinvent the wheel. Go visit the class... or come out and dive with some of the Fundies grads and see what they are diving.

Additionally, as some move from Fundies to Tech 1 some sell off some of their single wings so you might score a good deal there also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom