DIR Halcyon question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you don't want bungied wings. if your inflator fails, you will not be able to inflate them orally with the bunji's on them.

sorry if some one said this but i didnt feel like reading anymore after page 6. Kraim works and is part owner in hollywood divers so you can go down and say hi find out ever thing you need to know and from some one that has the info you realy need. kraim allso is a nuai tec guy to but he will not let you in his trimix class with out a fundes tech pass frist or take intro to tech from him the other trimix instsrt that i would say go to class takes over a year and is very long but you will go thew everthing you need to know the rest in socail im not big fans of.
As for working on your cave and tech 1 class befor gue f i think this is a bad plan the skill you get in fundis are the base for the rest of the skill you need for all tech diving so if you cant do the basic why would you want to do the hard stuff?
to get back on topic it will not mater what gear you have for gue f for a rec pass a tech pass you will need a back up light can light dubs ect ect kraim will let you know what type of gear you need. i hope this helps matt

Not to open a can of worms, but I have a sincere question after reading this thread;

The last time I looked Halcyon (eclipse) BP/W single setup had some padding/cloth
behind the BP. It is either to store an SMB or some padding for comfort... Don't
remember exactly. I saw this package in an LDS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it didn't look DIR to me at all... I thought an important principle
behind DIR was not to take unnecessary (and/or non-standard) equipment.
Halcyon is working on pads for rec lev diving and some tec diving too is in the test phase that about all i know this sorry for not having more info

kraim allso is a nuai tec guy to but he will not let you in his trimix class with out a fundes tech pass frist or take intro to tech from him the other trimix instsrt that i would say go to class takes over a year and is very long but you will go thew everthing you need to know the rest in socail im not big fans of.

I'm sorry, and my intention is not to be insulting, but I have no idea what this says.

Blister

sorry if some one said this but i didnt feel like reading anymore after page 6. Kraim works and is part owner in hollywood divers so you can go down and say hi find out ever thing you need to know and from some one that has the info you realy need. kraim allso is a nuai tec guy to but he will not let you in his trimix class with out a fundes tech pass frist or take intro to tech from him the other trimix instsrt that i would say go to class takes over a year and is very long but you will go thew everthing you need to know the rest in socail im not big fans of.
As for working on your cave and tech 1 class befor gue f i think this is a bad plan the skill you get in fundis are the base for the rest of the skill you need for all tech diving so if you cant do the basic why would you want to do the hard stuff?
to get back on topic it will not mater what gear you have for gue f for a rec pass a tech pass you will need a back up light can light dubs ect ect kraim will let you know what type of gear you need. i hope this helps matt

Well this post is kinda old now and there are a lot of redundant things that have been repeated in here. But I don't think i ever said I wanted to take tech 1/cave BEFORE fundies. I was going to do Fundies RIGHT before tech 1/cave. But now I think I'll just do it sooner. I've actually joined the LAUE mailing list and will start practicing with Karim and a few of his former students and potential new students soon on thursday nights. I've been told there's a course in late oct and that I could hop onto that one but I'm not sure about the timing at the moment. Also, after talking to all those guys, Halcyon isn't my only options, and I've even met a lot of uh.. well not disdain but looks of "meh, get whatever as long as it's in the right configuration" as well as being told that they are all the same essentially. Furthermore, after looking around and talking to some owners, turns out a lot of this stuff from many companies are made out of the same places anyways. I've had several GUE people tell me I'm just paying for a blue H. ha ha. No one has done any bashing or anything, but have suggested that my money could be better spent elsewhere unless money isn't a problem. Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions.

Not to open a can of worms, but I have a sincere question after reading this thread;

The last time I looked Halcyon (eclipse) BP/W single setup had some padding/cloth
behind the BP. It is either to store an SMB or some padding for comfort... Don't
remember exactly. I saw this package in an LDS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it didn't look DIR to me at all... I thought an important principle
behind DIR was not to take unnecessary (and/or non-standard) equipment.
The Halcyon system has always allowed fior the storage pack, between the plate and your back. We would use it to store a one person raft, or a surfmat, or a lift bag, or even a lobster bag....it keeps this gear out of the hydrodynamic effects of the water, and away from entanglement issues or anything. The raft idea appeals to people diving 25 miles offshore--the surfmat was nice for kelp divers off catalina who swim out from shore---bit would also be good if you had lost a boat and had a long time on the water to swim or deal with....

We would use it to store a one person raft...

Dan, try as I might, I (and many of my friends/dive buddies who have tried) can never ever fit (not even close) the Halcyon "Diver's Life Raft" into an MC Storage Pak...

What's the trick?

Dan, try as I might, I (and many of my friends/dive buddies who have tried) can never ever fit (not even close) the Halcyon "Diver's Life Raft" into an MC Storage Pak...

What's the trick?

I had one that I used for some of the deep dives off of Fort Pierce..on the pinacles...as I recall, a little bit of the raft stuck out at the bottom, but it was still hydrodynamically clean....the folding I did was taking up the whole width as well. Funny, I don't remember it being a terrible fit...mine was gear from around 2000, so maybe the size was different, for the MC storage pocket.......Now I use the pouch mostly for holding a lobster bag..... :)

Regards,
Dan

The Halcyon system has always allowed fior the storage pack, between the plate and your back. We would use it to store a one person raft, or a surfmat, or a lift bag, or even a lobster bag....it keeps this gear out of the hydrodynamic effects of the water, and away from entanglement issues or anything. The raft idea appeals to people diving 25 miles offshore--the surfmat was nice for kelp divers off catalina who swim out from shore---bit would also be good if you had lost a boat and had a long time on the water to swim or deal with....

I have a surf shuttle. I like it for "offshore" dives because its really really wide. If I wave it around its much more visible to a boat than a thinner SMB tube.

It doesn't really fit in the MCpak (at least not comfortably) I roll it up and put it in my pocket, which is full but do-able.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom