Dir?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody knows what it is...even the people that think they are DIR doesn't know how to explain it. They all wear black, dress the same, and use jet fins. This makes them a very depressed bunch..... :)

Nobody knows what it is...even the people that think they are DIR doesn't know how to explain it. They all wear black, dress the same, and use jet fins. This makes them a very depressed bunch..... :)

DIR?? I though that was Goth??

Goths don't dive. Their makeup would smear. :wink:

LMAO!! thanks! haven't laughed this hard in a while.. :rofl3:

DIR

Not fair to apply to all DIR people... but I'm amazed at the number of people who sign on to this philosophy (which is really what it is,) begin configuring their gear in a certain manner and then begin telling everyone else they don't know what they're doing.

If you wan't to buy into the DIR philosophy, I've got no problem with it. The program itself is not particularly bad... it is the attitude of those who sign on with it and then think and espouse that everyone who is not DIR is wrong.

My experience (which is far more extensive then most) has lead me to believe that a diver should dive that with which they are comfortable in, confident in (i.e. believe in) and that they both like and can afford.

Learning philosophy aside, a DIR person has never taught or showed me anything I didn't already know. Now for new divers, I think an introduction to DIR is fair... but not the relentless telling that if they don't dive DIR - then they're not "doing it right."

DIR... "Doing it Right" in itself implies that if you're not DIR then you're wrong... which is I'm quite certain they will all say about me after this post...

Find what you like, dive what you like and learn from a quality Instructor... DIR or not - doesn't matter.

Last edited:
DIR

Diving Irresponsibly Ridiculous...

Not fair to apply to all DIR people... but I'm amazed at the number of people who sign on to this philosophy (which is really what it is,) begin configuring their gear in a certain manner and then begin telling everyone else they don't know what they're doing.

If you wan't to buy into the DIR philosophy, I've got no problem with it. The program itself is not particularly bad... it is the attitude of those who sign on with it and then think and espouse that everyone who is not DIR is wrong.

My experience (which is far more extensive then most) has lead me to believe that a diver should dive that with which they are comfortable in, confident in (i.e. believe in) and that they both like and can afford.

Learning philosophy aside, a DIR person has never taught or showed me anything I didn't already know. Now for new divers, I think an introduction to DIR is fair... but not the relentless telling that if they don't dive DIR - then they're not "doing it right."

DIR... "Doing it Right" in itself implies that if you're not DIR then you're wrong... which is I'm quite certain they will all say about me after this post...

Find what you like, dive what you like and learn from a quality Instructor... DIR or not - doesn't matter.

There are always those, on both sides of the fence, who loudly shout their own viewpoint without fully understanding the opposing one.

It's been my experience those that shout the loudest generally know/understand the least.

YMMV.

In my limited experience and observations, and I'll say it again "In my limited experience and observations" people who argue the loudest against D.I.R. are usually the ones covering their own bad dive habits and practices.

D.I.R. WILL make you a better diver, it's not just about equipment. It is a philosophy(is that spelled right?:confused:), and a mindset to continuously improve your skills, safety and most importantly your overall enjoyment

So come on...Drink the Kool-Aid.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom