Direct Flight Miami-Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never knew this would be an issue. Is Miami really that bad when it comes to customs? Is it because there is a lot of small island flights coming in and out???
I used to fly to St.Maarten once a year or so and always preferred Atlanta or San Juan customs & immigration over Miami, but it's been years since I went that way. If I had to spend an extra hour in I&C to spend the night where I preferred, it'd probably be worth it. That's a very long trip so whatever works best to make it easier.

Ok, I might look at more possibilities and see something you missed, but that statement kicks me out. Spending FF miles is so difficult any more, but if you can find the flights - then the usual fare costs in dollars is irrelevant. Have a nice trip. :pilot:

I can go to Hawaii at any time pretty much for 55,000 miles, did this last August, and flew too Oahu in June using a companion fare ticket, came back thru Miami on that trip.

Roatan last January for 35K

It is pretty hard to find the flight to Roatan, but If I wanted to go to Curacao instead its usually easy to find.

Never knew this would be an issue. Is Miami really that bad when it comes to customs? Is it because there is a lot of small island flights coming in and out???

In Miami, it's TSA that is the winner. The physical plant of the airport combined with their need to bottleneck the secure zones of the airport makes it beyond tedious. They have a large volume of passengers and seem to deep search as many people as possible as they walk through the constricted mazes and cramped screening areas.

If you want to see Immigrations (Passport Control) problems, look no further than the absolute daisy chain at Houston. Miserably long waits are the norm, I have been in line over an hour at least four times now. About as bad as Heathrow, but at least there's barbecue later.

Customs (the actual Customs declaration and screening process) is universally relatively pain-free and quick unless you say something totally stupid.

I want DandyDon to do my airline booking. He always does well with the rates.

Every time I have gone through Miami it has been very slow getting through customs because there were so many passengers and too few customs agents. It also seems to take forever to get your checked luggage. The Miami airport has many nice bars and restaurants. If I have a long enough layover at least there are good places to eat & drink.

Miami has never been great but the last few years it seems more awful. Last 3 times coming back through there took 2+ hours, and at least once that wasn't even enough to get our luggage on the same flight. In my experiences immigration has been ok and luggage is a crapshoot but passable. But customs would have 1-2 lines for a zillion people and the luggage recheck area was a disaster. I avoid the place if at all possible, or will plan for minimum 3 hour layovers or maybe an overnight.

What I don't understand is we didn't used to have nearly such a bad time getting through there. Then they did lots of remodeling of the airport, and came up with this? :confused:

If you do a lot of international travel, look into Global Entry. It is well worth the money and time saved.

If you do a lot of international travel, look into Global Entry. It is well worth the money and time saved.
I got stuck in a long Immigration line in DFW a week ago, and I thought an hour's wait was hell. So boring after a long flight. Two or three hours would be horrible, but I hear it happens. I saw that empty Global Entry line and thought: "$100 for 5 years? Maybe not so bad."

I got stuck in a long Immigration line in DFW a week ago, and I thought an hour's wait was hell. So boring after a long flight. Two or three hours would be horrible, but I hear it happens. I saw that empty Global Entry line and thought: "$100 for 5 years? Maybe not so bad."

And would really be worth it, if you only had a carry on bag and didnt have to pick up your checked in bag, then re-check it. I think I really need to check into the Dive Caddy.

---------- Post Merged on September 2nd, 2012 at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was on September 1st, 2012 at 11:16 AM ----------

Not that I plan on booking, but just looked on AK Air award reservation, and if I were wanting to go back to Roatan in January, there are award seats available for 60K miles flying First class, and coach during different legs. If I were do do the American Air flight thru Miami, I wouldnt have to book a hotel going either direction and would save 1 day of travel. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom