Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KimLeece:
Probably a dumb question but - what's with the Cool Aid?
Cool Aid is something he is desperatley in need of.
Kool Aid is a sugary drink for kids, and as pointed out by rjchandler, was used to mass suicide when it was laced with cyanide. At Jonestown Guyana.

Rubis:
I would be curious to hear from somebody that has actually taken the class and dove with DIR people.
Well, how likely is that ??? :D

Several of us who have responded have actually taken the class ... and dive with DIR people on a regular basis. Many of us do not call ourselves DIR divers.

FWIW - taking the DIR-F class does not automatically make you a DIR diver. In fact, the majority of people I know who took the class did so strictly for the knowledge and skills.

I could care less about labels ... I just wanted to get some knowledge, and see if I could improve my skills. DIR-F did help me do that.

What else really matters?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

rjchandler:
Kudos to the troll -er poster- who started this thread. it just keeps on going.
I think the original poster's intentions where genuine. There are several people who jumped in later I'm not so sure about.

NWGratefulDiver:
I could care less about labels ... I just wanted to get some knowledge, and see if I could improve my skills. DIR-F did help me do that.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great words, Bob.
Learning and applying what we've learn.
That's what we should be here for.
Not labels.
Great words.

NWGratefulDiver:
Several of us who have responded have actually taken the class ... and dive with DIR people on a regular basis. Many of us do not call ourselves DIR divers.

FWIW - taking the DIR-F class does not automatically make you a DIR diver. In fact, the majority of people I know who took the class did so strictly for the knowledge and skills.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You do not seem negative :wink:

I'm not sure what your point is but it looks like fun but lets try it.

novadiver:
Now WE all Know that the DIR divers are the best divers around so this little quiz should be no problem for this group.

1) the RGBM theory of diving differs from the Haldain theory in what ways?

The primary difference is that models like RGBM and VPM also take gas in the free phase into account. Characteristically this results in schedules that start stops deeper, have more time in the deep and intermediate stops and less in the shallow stops.
2) A dive profile to 140 fsw for 15 minute on air with a 2 minute safety stop at 10 feet is safe?

Define safe. It's not a dive that I would do by any stretch of the imagination.
3) 1.6 ata ox toxes after how much time?

If I had my way I'd pull the ticket of any one who put this question on a real test.

Do you mean 1.6 ATA PPO2 or just 1.6 ATA which is about 20 fsw.

The NOAA recommended exposure limits allow for 45 minutes at a PPO2 of 1.6 ATA and equate it to 100 percent CNS exposure. However that does not mean that you will tox then. In fact time has not proven to be a very good predictor at all. In fact divers routinely do dives that expose them to many many time the NOAA recommended exposure limits with no ill effects through the sue of techniques that you won't find mentioned in the NOAA manual.
4) What's the deepest air dive posible?

What do you consider as possible? Are you refering to O2 exposure, narcosis...what?

Who cares? Dives have been done on air below 500 ft and many have been done in excess of 250 ft. Hal Watts teaches air to 240 ft on a regular basis.

Now days many of us prefer not to go much below 100 ft without helium and dive "air" as little as possible at any depth.
5)What dive org. teaches comprihensive dive history?

DAN in their anual accident report.
6) what was the goat used for?

Which goat. Some are used for milk, some meat, some are pets, some are wild and do what they want and others are subjects for scientific experiments like the old goat benders goat.
My point is that if you follow a cult you will get the COOL AID

Yes and PADI has proven it beyond any reasonable doubt.

DIR/Halcyon is laughing all the way to the bank right now.

CincyBengalsFan:
DIR/Halcyon is laughing all the way to the bank right now.

Yup. It's all a conspiracy by JJ. They developed the system just so they'd have gear to sell. They didn't *really* go 18,000 feet back into a cave or do 45 minute dives on the Britannic at ~400fsw.

Actually, they did, but they bought Mares HUBs just for the job.

MikeFerrara:
Yes and PADI has proven it beyond any reasonable doubt.

Mike, this is a classic, I was thinking the same thing myself :D

And they say GUE assimilate people...........Padi have been doing it for years :wink:

The Questioner proves this beyond any reasonable doubt.

Once I've done Rescue. TDI here I come :eyebrow:

Oh and DIR-F :11:

Soggy:
Yup. It's all a conspiracy by JJ. They developed the system just so they'd have gear to sell. They didn't *really* go 18,000 feet back into a cave or do 45 minute dives on the Britannic at ~400fsw.

Actually, they did, but they bought Mares HUBs just for the job.

Missing the point.... And the point was literal...geeeez. LOL

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom