Disappointed / Frustrated with my first OW class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE

Talked to the diveshop and very politely shared my concerns.

From here on out there will be TWO instructors, plus at least 2 Divemasters.

They said I can come in early before class or midweek to ask questions or work out of pool with any gear I want to check out in more depth.

And if after the second course, if not satisfied, can roll me into a private lesson for more personal attention and only pay the difference to upgrade to private.
Sounds like they took your concerns on board. The ratios sound better now with 10-2 (+2).

Take advantage of the use of the pool/ asking questions. Just remember to take things in small chunks though and not try to take everything on board at once. Using your burger analogy, you don't become a chef capable of turning out the perfect meal every time by reading a book and then doing it once. It takes time, patience and practise.

Man up cowboy! Dive training has changed a great deal over the years to accommodate the demand. If you want a private course...pay for it. But I would bet there were many students in your class that weren't suffering like you. While I agree scuba training has gotten to lacked over the years, it is what it is.

How does it not take away from other students? Instructor can work with problem child 1 to 1 at end of pool session while others can independently practice skills they learned. But to slow down or stop a class for 1 student when everyone else gets it is unfair to all.
What I have seen in reality is that the DM or AI works with the student who is having major issues and either they get things under control soon or they get out of the water.

UPDATE

Talked to the diveshop and very politely shared my concerns.

From here on out there will be TWO instructors, plus at least 2 Divemasters.

They said I can come in early before class or midweek to ask questions or work out of pool with any gear I want to check out in more depth.

And if after the second course, if not satisfied, can roll me into a private lesson for more personal attention and only pay the difference to upgrade to private.
Sounds good.

UPDATE

Talked to the diveshop and very politely shared my concerns.From here on out there will be TWO instructors, plus at least 2 Divemasters. They said I can come in early before class or midweek to ask questions or work out of pool with any gear I want to check out in more depth. And if after the second course, if not satisfied, can roll me into a private lesson for more personal attention and only pay the difference to upgrade to private.

I'm glad you spoke to the dive shop as your 1st OW class is not one I would have enjoyed either. My OW class was not like this. We had a larger group, but the instructor made sure he took the time to give us personal attention. It often meant the class would go quite late, but we all benefited from the extra time. (In addition, we were required to come in before the first class to be fitted for gear. It seems crazy to me that this was done during the class.)

A good fitting mask is critical. My dive shop actually insisted that that we all buy a mask & fins before we took the class. I understand why your shop is advocating trying different masks before you buy & I think the idea is a good one...as long as you are using masks that appear to be fitting you decently above the water. (Put the mask against your face without the straps in place. Breath in gently with your nose. You'll know it's a decent mask for you if it stays in place with almost no effort.)

I think that if you continue on with your training (which I highly suggest), you do this with a good instructor one-on-one. I did my AOW one-on-one in Cozumel & it rapidly advanced my diving skill as the instructor focused solely on me. If I had to do all of this over again, I would do it the same way: group OW & then one-on-one AOW.

Let us know how your next class goes.

Not an instructor, just your average diver with a penchant for very fast motorcycles. Let's equate the bike to your dive gear, from your other post you are tech savvy, analytical, driven and the mechanics/engineering of the bike is critically important...ditto the dive gear. Both can keep you alive, Both can kill you. You don't just truck your motorcycle to a drag strip or raceway, I'm sure you and your bike arrive at the track with a lot of days and nights preparing for that "ohh yeah" moment where it all comes together - Diving will give you those moments too. But slowly and ethereally - the adrenaline junkie in you will find the aquatic equivalent but the training course isn't moving fast enough for you. Pay for one on one. Set goals. I'm sure your first bike wasn't a fire breathing beastie, neither will your first steps in your diving career be Nat Geo episodes....

On your bike, you are pretty much in control of everything except some environmental issues. In Diving, you are pretty much relying on training and equipment to handle those far more changeable environmental factors,,,and the ocean controls.

Not everyone thrives in a group learning environment, I certainly don't. You've talked to the shop, you have options open, find what works for you. Remember you may be causing other students stress too, not an optimum situation for all concerned.

There's a feeling I get when I'm powering out of a tight corner that's eerily similar to the feeling I get when I catch sight of manta rays dancing ....pay dirt.
I'm sure you will know that moment - stick with it, be flexible and enjoy. Also have a look at Scuba Confidential by Simon Pridmore - I got a lot out of this book.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom