Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disinfectants? You UK guys have Sipsmith and Boodles gin, what else could you want, except maybe a lime.

I've a few bottles of Laphroaig lying round the house, maybe I should use them.

Them's fightin' words. :letsparty: And I am not that fond of leapfrog meself.

You UK guys have Sipsmith and Boodles gin

I soak my second stage mouthpiece in some Botanist for 30 mins when I get home after cleaning them with soapy water and rinsing them in tonic water :D

I'd be hesitant about using corrosive or oxidising chemicals to sanitise dive gear. The lifespan of your gear will be diminished, and you could actually damage plastics and o-rings. A laundry sanitizer with quaternary ammonium compounds (the AP Diving one above, Canestan, Sard, Dettol here in NZ) should sterilise a BCD but be careful, as it has a bitter taste if not thoroughly rinsed out of the bladder and inflater hose / mouthpiece once you are done.

So diluted household bleach is better than dettol ...

With Scuba equipment I generally prefer to use cleaning agents which have been tested as being safe for oral use. So I use a diluted white vinegar solution for cleaning/servicing regulators and Steradent Active for sterilisation. I avoid using products I would put in a drain, but not in my mouth.
Chlorine is used in tap water in many countries, it’s safe at low concentrations.

I gargled salt semi dissolved in hot water with a splash of cold yesterday

Back
Top Bottom