Dispelling scubaboard myths (Part 1: It is the instructor not the agency)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know, PADI is the only agency that enables truly independent instructors.

That said, most agencies have a 'regional office', through which an independent instructor can arrange to process their certifications, order materials etc etc...
I’m pretty sure GUE doesn’t require it. I’ve taken classes from a tech instructor who wasn’t associated with the local GUE operation, he said he used to be but it was a long story. He had a fill station and lots of dive gear in his garage.

As far as I know, PADI is the only agency that enables truly independent instructors.

That said, most agencies have a 'regional office', through which an independent instructor can arrange to process their certifications, order materials etc etc...

NAUI Instructors can be completely independent too.

Agencies that allow totally independent instructors:

• PADI
  • NAUI
  • GUE
  • UTD
  • PSAI

So I got off the phone with a buddy who is crossing over to SDI. He described to me the two primary questions he was asked. First, does he sell gear? As an independent instructor, I'd be selling gear for Deep 6. It is my intention for when I have my own dive op in Greece that I'll be using all the Deep 6 gear I can (regs, fins, bp/w, and by then dive computer). The other question was about air fills. I plan on getting a small air compressor to do my own fills. Now all of this I would do in my garage. Now it is possible that I work with a shop that only teaches tech as a means of generating sales for them, in a way that is mutually beneficial. That would work nicely in terms of having classroom space and a convenient fill station near one of the primary dive sites that everyone in my area uses for training. Finally, there is a pool I would use not too far away.

But I can still do everything out of my garage. I don't feel this is the same as an actual dive shop. Maybe it is just me.

At DEMA I do plan on attending SDI's cross over presentation on Saturday from 10 am to 1 pm. Should be very interesting. I think I'm going to go for it, and see about teaching AN/DP once I qualify, as a couple instructors that teach for the same chain of shops as me do that (the chain doesn't teach tech at all).

I'm not saying that meeting the requirements to be your own "shop" are hard. Just that, for the moment, they do have that requirement, on paper.

Recently, my dive group (a 501(c)3 non-profit company) became an official SDI/TDI Training Facility. We don't have an actual brick-and-mortar anywhere. We won't be selling gear. We don't have our own compressor. Our classes will use space we've arranged at a local school, at a local community pool, and at local quarries or other OW sites. I have to add the caveat that I did not handle the paperwork myself, we will not be offering OW classes, just some specialties (like Deep and Wreck) and tech training, and the fact that we are not offering OW training MAY have had something to do with getting approved as a training facility.

Also, SSI supposedly requires shop affiliation, but when I was investigating doing my DM training through an SSI shop, and I expressed concern about that, I was told that if I couldn't find a shop that I wanted to affiliate with and that would affiliate with me, I could become affiliated with HQ.

So, while they seem to say it, it doesn't seem like any of the major agencies put up any serious roadblocks to being functionally an independent instructor.

So, while they seem to say it, it doesn't seem like any of the major agencies put up any serious roadblocks to being functionally an independent instructor.

I think agencies say "if you are not working for a shop or do not own one, we want to see proof that you are a legit business contributing to the dive industry." That to me is crystal clear (and the way it should be).

I think agencies say "if you are not working for a shop or do not own one, we want to see proof that you are a legit business contributing to the dive industry." That to me is crystal clear (and the way it should be).

Actually, here is the detailed info on being an SDI/TDI Training facility.

Why Become a Facility with SDI/TDI/ERDI? | SDI | TDI | ERDI

Any instructor who is actually doing work as an instructor (and, thus, a legit, albeit probably very small, business contributing to the dive industry) should be able to meet the requirements to be their own training facility, and thus, in practice, an independent instructor.

Actually, here is the detailed info on being an SDI/TDI Training facility.

Why Become a Facility with SDI/TDI/ERDI? | SDI | TDI | ERDI

Any instructor who is actually doing work as an instructor (and, thus, a legit, albeit probably very small, business contributing to the dive industry) should be able to meet the requirements to be their own training facility, and thus, in practice, an independent instructor.
Stuart,

Thanks. I was looking for that info last night. However, it isn’t consistent with what some SDI instructors I know do for their business. I will be asking about this as well when I talk to them at DEMA,

Last edited:
Stuart?

Thanks. I was looking for that info last night. However, it isn’t consistent with what some SDI instructors I know do for their business. I will be asking about this as well when I talk to them at DEMA,

Yes? LOL

It's linked right off the bottom right of the main website. Glad to help.

Yes? LOL

It's linked right off the bottom right of the main website. Glad to help.

Hey! In self defense it was late and I followed the crossing over link. But you are right, I should have seen it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom