dive accident catalina 10/1/05 0230

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sirensmyst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
An unfortunate accident occurred at Arrow Pt in Catalina early yesterday morning, opening day for lobster season. I consider my self a seasoned diver, a medic and I operate the chamber. I learned a lot from this. I think we all can.
Some of this is fact and some will be speculation and the facts will never really be known. But we have all done what these divers did, at one time or another in our diving careers.
1. They were a group of three, which I have always believed was not a great scenerio. But how many times did one of my friends opt not to dive leaving his buddy to dive with us? Many.
2. One diver was low on air. We will never know how low. He opted to surface and head for the boat. The other two stayed as a buddy team. They saw him reach the surface safely.
3. He was found tangled in kelp, tank empty at 18' only a few feet from where he surfaced, (less then 100). He had one weight pocket gone and his BC cumberbund was undone. It appeared he tried to remove his gear.
After much speculation we all agreed that he tried to duck under the kelp canopy, something we all do to pass it. Only he didn't have enough air to get through a problem....which he had by getting tangled. The way the kelp was wrapped around him, it appeared he also paniced.
All these seemingly small problems added up to death by drowning.
We dive kelp here on a regular basis....getting tangled is not a problem. Kelp does not get you, but panic will.
I never surface with less than 500#...but now it is reinforced. For those of you who try to get the last drop of air out before you surface....I say...get a bigger tank and dive safer.

Sirensmyst - You are right, there were many errors made, that as divers we all tend to make every now and then, thinking that nothing bad will happen. That's the thing about getting into a bad predicament as a solo diver (which he was). We can all picture in our minds what went wrong as panic set in. Things just spiraled out of control for him.

Being a California Kelp diver myself, this unfortunate story really hits close to home.

My condolences to his family.

Dive Safe...

factor310:
That's the thing about getting into a bad predicament as a solo diver (which he was).
I can't speak for the for-mentioned diver because I wasn't there. But in general, a team member who abandons his buddies isn't a solo diver (a solo diver plans his/her dive as a solo dive, and is equipped for for a solo dive with redundant air, etc), he/she's is a buddy-less diver. The DAN stats on accidents demonstrate that this scenario (abandoning your team members) is rot with potential dangers.

Again, I speak in general, not for the lost diver in this post, to whose family and friends I offer my condolences.

Rick,
I am curious, your profile says you are not certified to dive...is that correct? Your picture shows someone in dive gear....I am confused.

sirenmyst:
2. One diver was low on air. We will never know how low. He opted to surface and head for the boat. The other two stayed as a buddy team. They saw him reach the surface safely.

Did I miss something???? When a Diver is low on air his
buddy (ies )
should abort the dive and makes sure he/she gets to the surface ok . How deep were they where they "saw" him/her reach the surface? Since I was not there I can only go by what you wrote. He was low on air and you don't know how low. There is a lot of emptiness in the story.

Morale of the story is: if your buddy is low on air. Abort the dive and see ( Read his/her gauge ) how low he/she is. Then you will know if air share will be needed.

My condolences to the family.

sirensmyst:
Rick,
I am curious, your profile says you are not certified to dive...is that correct? Your picture shows someone in dive gear....I am confused.
When you fill out your profile it asks for "logged" dives. I don't log my dives, so the default is "not certified". However, my certification history is still listed in my profile HERE.

Yeah...I don't log my dives either.... a terrible habit. Just curious.

Rick Inman:
When you fill out your profile it asks for "logged" dives. I don't log my dives, so the default is "not certified". However, my certification history is still listed in my profile HERE.

If they let him surface low on air without following him up then he wasn't diving solo or buddyless, he was flat out abandoned. There is nothing wrong with a group of three as long as they stay a group of three. Letting the third diver fend for himself at the first critical juncture was total horsesh!t.

Condolences to his family. :(

In a perfect world we all follow the rules. They were in maybe 50' at most, and more likely around 35'....and the viz was near 60'....it was a beautiful calm clear dive. Of course I don't know how low on air he was....he was found with an empty tank. They were all near enough to the boat.....
You didn't miss anything.

JRScuba:
Did I miss something???? When a Diver is low on air his
buddy (ies )
should abort the dive and makes sure he/she gets to the surface ok . How deep were they where they "saw" him/her reach the surface? Since I was not there I can only go by what you wrote. He was low on air and you don't know how low. There is a lot of emptiness in the story.

Morale of the story is: if your buddy is low on air. Abort the dive and see ( Read his/her gauge ) how low he/she is. Then you will know if air share will be needed.

My condolences to the family.

It wasn't like that at all. He opted to go up. Normally this is not a problem, I am sure you will read that many divers have done this. I am not saying it is perfect....but under the circumstances it was understandable. Lobster divers are by nature solo divers. If you start out with someone you will eventually loose them in the hunt anyway. It is a dangeous sport, but we know the consequences and dive accordingly.

StSomewhere:
If they let him surface low on air without following him up then he wasn't diving solo or buddyless, he was flat out abandoned. There is nothing wrong with a group of three as long as they stay a group of three. Letting the third diver fend for himself at the first critical juncture was total horsesh!t.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom