dive accident catalina 10/1/05 0230

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes.....there was a DM on a boat. It could be that he did indicate that he was ok when he surfaced. The problem we speculate came on the swim to the boat. It was a moonless night but flat calm.
One of our team found him in the kelp and yelled for help as he was cutting him out....the DM jumped in and took over towing him to the other boat. The guy was not from that boat either....but from a fourth boat in the cove. We had no idea at the time where he was from. The boat he was towed to was the biggest in the cove, probably 40'...beautiful. But they had no emergency equipment aboard...I had to get my medical supplies out for them. As it turned out, BW was right around the corner and beat the equipment transport. Kudo's to those guys, they are the best in the nation.

drbill:
If they were close to the boat, wasn't a crew member spotting after he surfaced? It seems like they should have been aware of him at the surface assuming he communicated with the boat that he was up.

Hmmm.

Maybe no one was actually treated in the Chamber but C Brasher died on the dive boat and was taken to the coast guard station there in Catalina, this is being checked by her husband Steve who was on the boat with her after which she was sent to USC or UCLA for the autopsy, Steve and (her friends called her billy) are our best friends, and if the story is bogus you better contact steve because he and our family were devistated by the news saturday

We are off to console steve right now, I would hope he doesnt see these messages calling his wife,s death bogus.

OWSI176288:
Not trying to be harsh. But confused be me I am. Where they a buddy team or not? If so, you never leave your wing man - period!
Neither you nor I know what was agreed upon by the 3 persons during their predive brief. The agreement might have been for the ascending diver to be watched until on the surface, as opposed to all divers calling the dive when the first diver reached the ascent pressure. We simply don't know. Several have posted using words like "abandoned". "Mutually agreed to voluntarily separate" might well be the better description.

I have done dives where the agreement was for my buddy to ascend up the flag line and await boat pickup, and that I would watch him from below until the boat arrived. OTOH, the briefing was also that for any reason, he could point at me and signal ascend and we'd go up together.

I am so sorry....my intent was chamber related only. This is horrible news.....I am home very sick and perhaps my judgement was clouded. Please accept my deepest apology. I don't often get the coast guard news right away, especially if I am not on duty.
This is such a loss......

ablake:
Maybe no one was actually treated in the Chamber but C Brasher died on the dive boat and was taken to the coast guard station there in Catalina, this is being checked by her husband Steve who was on the boat with her after which she was sent to USC or UCLA for the autopsy, Steve and (her friends called her billy) are our best friends, and if the story is bogus you better contact steve because he and our family were devistated by the news saturday

We are off to console steve right now, I would hope he doesnt see these messages calling his wife,s death bogus.

I called in and am able to say that yes, there was a woman in the chamber. It is thought that she had a medical problem rather then a dive problem....but no matter, it is the worst lobster season I know of in the last 15 or more years. Your families will never be the same...and the chamber crew is devastated.

sirensmyst:
I am so sorry....my intent was chamber related only. This is horrible .....I am home very sick and perhaps my judgement was clouded. Please accept my deepest apology. I don't often get the coast guard news right away, especially if I am not on duty.
This is such a loss......

I am going off the air for a while.

sirensmyst:
I called in and am able to say that yes, there was a woman in the chamber. It is thought that she had a medical problem rather then a dive problem....but no matter, it is the worst lobster season I know of in the last 15 or more years. Your families will never be the same...and the chamber crew is devastated.

I just re-read the posts and I don't think the word "bogus" was being applied to the death of the diver you speak of. I think the word was being applied to the two stories mentioned previously which were apparently both in error. The deaths are real (as far as I know) but the "facts" relayed in some versions are not accurate (hence the term bogus).

I might add that there is no Coast Guard Station here on Catalina. To the best of my knowledge, the last time there was was during World War II. The Coast Guard comes out from the LA Harbor area to assist when help is needed in Catalina waters.

Our condolences to all involved.

Dr. Bill

ablake:

Thank you....it was not meant harshly. I feel very badly for the family and I am now in the midst of helping my friends who I just found out were her instructors. I know the boat and owners personally, they are good people and they are all hurting. It seems to me that these two incidents are starting to tie together in my circle of close friends. And there is no CG station in Catalina that I know of.... I was at an incident at Anacapa Island and found out I had to call the CG from there. We opted to use Mercy Air because it was faster to Cabrillo. The CG would have been coming from the mainland and needed 45 minutes to get ready. I learned. My experience around Catalina has only been with Baywatch.
Everyone knew I was sick so no one called me. I am just starting to get information now. One of our group is not doing well....this was his first experience with death. We all need to take care of each other right now.

drbill:
I just re-read the posts and I don't think the word "bogus" was being applied to the death of the diver you speak of. I think the word was being applied to the two stories mentioned previously which were apparently both in error. The deaths are real (as far as I know) but the "facts" relayed in some versions are not accurate (hence the term bogus).

I might add that there is no Coast Guard Station here on Catalina. To the best of my knowledge, the last time there was was during World War II. The Coast Guard comes out from the LA Harbor area to assist when help is needed in Catalina waters.

Our condolences to all involved.

Dr. Bill

sirensmyst:
Thank you....it was not meant harshly. I feel very badly for the family and I am now in the midst of helping my friends who I just found out were her instructors. I know the boat and owners personally, they are good people and they are all hurting. It seems to me that these two incidents are starting to tie together in my circle of close friends. And there is no CG station in Catalina that I know of.... I was at an incident at Anacapa Island and found out I had to call the CG from there. We opted to use Mercy Air because it was faster to Cabrillo. The CG would have been coming from the mainland and needed 45 minutes to get ready. I learned. My experience around Catalina has only been with Baywatch.
Everyone knew I was sick so no one called me. I am just starting to get information now. One of our group is not doing well....this was his first experience with death. We all need to take care of each other right now.

Maybe I'll see you at the club meeting tonight? I was the assistant for the class. I was with her counting her pulse when it stopped..
When i am feeling better maybe i'll post what really happend.

Thanks for posting dive accident information like this.

It is difficult to read - but the harsh education on what CAN happen makes all of the rest of us safer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom